Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Always Learning

LED Light Strip - how to hard wire?

I'd like to install a white strip of LED lights off of an existing light fixture in my bedroom. The light fixture has the standard two 12v wires (pos/neg).

I know what to buy from the light-strip perspective- that's the easy part. And I found this dimmer:
Amazon.com: HitLights Led Light Strip Dial Dimmer - Single Color, Easy plug-in - 5 to 24V DC, 4A Max: Musical Instruments

What I don't know how to do (and failed when I installed my awning lights to the point that I just bought a 120v power adapter). How do I go from the two 12v wires to something that attaches to the light strip dimmer with it's round plug?

I'd love to install these LED lights a handful of places- I'm just not sure of this one step and failed before when I tried it.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

The red goes to the positive and the black goes to the negative.

When I put my LED strip under the awning track I used the 12V for one of the cargo lights. I tapped into the wires with Posi-Lock tap connectors (Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use!) and put a switch on the positive side. . The first time out they were too bright so I got this dimmer http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...rds=led+dimmer It's not a pretty one but it's in the cargo area and easy to hook up. (I did it while camping with my Leatherman)

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

You should be able to find the round dc plug, I have a surplus store near me that has all kinds of plugs, you will need to figure out what size the plug is and then determine if the center is positive or negative (more than likely the center is positive). something like this http://www.amazon.ca/Power-Adapter-C...rrel+jackwould ,you can just run the wires to the light from the adapter.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Always Learning

With the dimmer that I found, can I just cut the end of one side off and then connect the remaining wires to the red/black of the light fixture?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

yes that should work, just don't mix them up you could damage the dimmer.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

If you have access to the ceiling from the cabinet you can run the wire from that point to the nearest ceiling light that is not on a switch. I have successfully run coax and wifi antenna cable through several trailers by dropping lights or vent housings to be able to run a fishtape from point to point.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Always Learning

Yep, I have a non-switched light about 8" from the edge of the wall (directly above me). I want to start the lights about 4" down from that. I'm not overly concerned with seeing wires as I am figuring out how to wire this thing in. I'm kind of an idiot but now that I'm out on the road, I am my own universe.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

If something like this would help, I can send one to wherever you're calling home this week. I have several made up that I sell with awning lights to folks that admire ours. pm if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1436315702046.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	82313  
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light