Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
campfirefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Led lights

Anyone put led lights in ceiling fixtures of trailer. Wondering if you have to remove whole fixture or just plug in new bulb. What sources are there if this is possible
__________________

__________________
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grizzlygibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 326
This was actually just hashed out here this week but deals with a specific rig. Concept is the same though. Read away!
do we need LEDs for our new 21FBRS?
__________________

__________________
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 588
No need to change out anything other than the bulb. The cheapest place I found was on Ebay. I changed all of mine out to LEDs. It took a little time to get used to the color of the light. It is amazing how cool they are compared to a regular bulb.
__________________
2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2008 Dodge 2500 CTD

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,278
there are literally hundreds of posts here on LEDs.
a quick search will give you hours of reading and info, without waiting for others to post.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mohawk Valley of NY
Posts: 217
Since I dry camp almost exclusively, to not wear down the coach batteries, I too switched to LEDs throughout. I got mine on ebay, I looked for "warm white", I think around 3000 or 3500 degrees K (kelvin). I think I got 18 of them for around $30, shipped free, from China. I've used them one season, no problem so far. I was just down to a RV store this morning, they're still $15 to $30 EACH depending on which one you buy.
__________________
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
there are literally hundreds of posts here on LEDs.
a quick search will give you hours of reading and info, without waiting for others to post.
Hours? How about days!

Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Member
 
Cyn61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N
Since I dry camp almost exclusively, to not wear down the coach batteries, I too switched to LEDs throughout. I got mine on ebay, I looked for "warm white", I think around 3000 or 3500 degrees K (kelvin). I think I got 18 of them for around $30, shipped free, from China. I've used them one season, no problem so far. I was just down to a RV store this morning, they're still $15 to $30 EACH depending on which one you buy.
I searched this on eBay but not sure which one...do you remember seller name and maybe I could search that way? Possibly a pic of what they look like? Thanks!
__________________
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea
 
BigBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 1,140
On Amazon get the 18 LED bulbs (5050 LEDs) they are the only ones I've had that are equal to a standard 921 bulb. LED Wholesalers are great for quality and help.



I put together a wish list for LEDs on Amazon.

Amazon LED choices

I have bought almost all of the lights except for the really expensive ones. I next am going to try the panel lights, especially the 5050 ones. I have been warned that some of the cheap Chinese ones get so hot they melt!

Remember to put aluminum foil tape on the inside of the dome light!

__________________
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Member
 
Cyn61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron
On Amazon get the 18 LED bulbs (5050 LEDs) they are the only ones I've had that are equal to a standard 921 bulb. LED Wholesalers are great for quality and help.

I put together a wish list for LEDs on Amazon.

Amazon LED choices

I have bought almost all of the lights except for the really expensive ones. I next am going to try the panel lights, especially the 5050 ones. I have been warned that some of the cheap Chinese ones get so hot they melt!

Remember to put aluminum foil tape on the inside of the dome light!
So this plugs right into the already existing light unit? Just looks so odd
__________________
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea
 
BigBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 1,140
If you have a wedge base (T10). If you have a bayonet base, they have those too.
__________________

__________________
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.