Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

LED lights for Salem Cruise Lite 22-RBXL

Hello, we're new to the forum and need some advice. We have a one-year old 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 22-RBXL, made in California, and we would like to replace the interior lights with LEDs. I just spoke with the head parts manager at the California Forest River Salem plant were these campers are made, and he had no idea what type of LED would fit in this socket. Huh?
How could he NOT know this?
So, is there a particular name for the type of bulbs in these trailers, and if so, are there LED retro-kits we can purchase?
Thanks!
Mike
San Diego, CA
Green Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
You'll have to take out the bulb and see if it is a 921-bulb & base-(T10 is the square type looking base)--- most interior lights are these, but you should check first. You can order these on ebay, If they are the 921 bulbs just do a search for LED 36-SMD Flat panel lights, they will usually come with multiple bases and the T-10 type you need will be in there shipped with the LED Panels. Just have completed the change over for mine and it took 38-921 (36-SMD)Panels. The entryway floor/step lights are usually;194-bulbs you'll search 194 5-SMD LED Bulbs. after you search,sub-search-(Buy now & list lowest price/shipping,first to last) Note: Order from a seller located in China or HONGKONG.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

I can't really help you with your question either but wanted to Welcome you to the forums and congrats on the new camper!! I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

These are the ones I purchased:
High Power 36-1210 SMD LED Festoon Dome Bulb Warm White - eBay (item 170548484109 end time May-31-11 14:22:31 PDT)

They're $5 a fixture and I'm very pleased with the performance. I've now replaced a total of eight bulbs including the outside door light. I've got 16 bulbs in my rig, and I'll eventually replace the remaining eight.

My rig uses the 1141 bulb size "bayonet" style base, which is not included in this package. I made my own bases by removing the glass, un-soldering the elements, and soldering in the wires into the bases myself. Easy work if you know what you're doing........some people have just spliced into the wiring if a compatible connector is not included.

Excellent lighting at an affordable price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1584.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5560   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1558.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5561  
Shasta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta1 View Post
These are the ones I purchased:
High Power 36-1210 SMD LED Festoon Dome Bulb Warm White - eBay (item 170548484109 end time May-31-11 14:22:31 PDT)

They're $5 a fixture and I'm very pleased with the performance. I've now replaced a total of eight bulbs including the outside door light. I've got 16 bulbs in my rig, and I'll eventually replace the remaining eight.

My rig uses the 1141 bulb size "bayonet" style base, which is not included in this package. I made my own bases by removing the glass, un-soldering the elements, and soldering in the wires into the bases myself. Easy work if you know what you're doing........some people have just spliced into the wiring if a compatible connector is not included.

Excellent lighting at an affordable price.
BIG Nice job.
I considered this but did not do it because the bulbs were so expensive and they worked. Since I only needed two LED bulbs (and will not be leaving the LEDs if I sell the unit, I sucked it up and bought the correct ones for my dinette light.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

Thanks Lou,

It was on your excellent recommendation that I found the answers to my LED upgrades!

I've made two purchases of 4 boards so far, and the service and shipping have been excellent. I'm ordering some more this week.

Here's how my wall light came out. The circuit board is mounted with velcro to the vertical post that the lamp shade attaches to. The lighting is exactly what I was after....much nicer that the bulbs.

Name:	corner light1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5569

Name:	corner light2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	5570

Also a pic of the outside door light. Again, really happy with the results. Brighter than the bulb it replaced, and the lens diffuses the light just right.

Name:	door light1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5571

I'll have $80 wrapped up in 16 bulb replacements when I'm finished, and this will be a huge advantage to my solar system. I literally will not have to worry about lighting drain on my system.

(all these pics were taken at night with the flash)

I also added the refrigerator fan that was recommended on this site. We live in southern AZ and can use all the help we can get in the summer

Name:	100_1595.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5572

I also used the same super Velcro mounting that you suggested for the LEDs....works great!

Many thanks again!!!
Shasta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Valley View Post
Hello, we're new to the forum and need some advice. We have a one-year old 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 22-RBXL, made in California, and we would like to replace the interior lights with LEDs. I just spoke with the head parts manager at the California Forest River Salem plant were these campers are made, and he had no idea what type of LED would fit in this socket. Huh?
How could he NOT know this?
So, is there a particular name for the type of bulbs in these trailers, and if so, are there LED retro-kits we can purchase?
Thanks!
Mike
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the board! Lots of good information here. Got to ask - how do you like your Cruise Lite 22RBXL? I got the smaller one (20RBXL) but debated between the two.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote