Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #21

I am about to order some LED bulbs to replace my 921's. Can someone advise me if the 2 pin (no wedge) flat bulbs will work properly & hold securely? I will most likely go with a flat 5050 led model with a wedge base.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #22

I assume your replacing the same type of base as currently exists in your fixture. If that is what your asking, than you will have no problems. That being said, the general rule here would be get the most lumens output, with the least amount of reflective light. So the disc style you refer to, would be better than cylinder shape, which would emit less perceived light due to reflective loss.

Think about 5630's SMD's which emit more lumens than the 5050's. Also, you will save much more if you buy them on ebay. Especially if your not in a hurry, because many vendors ship free directly from China, where most are made anyway. One more thing, color of light, warm or bright needs to be considered. Buy a few, test em, them buy the rest. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #23

I tried 2 different type and I liked these the best

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LO0M918..._eLG3ub0HE5YT0

These are the others I tried and I didn't think they spread the light as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EL37R8U..._nOG3ub0BDEPT8
Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #24

I read somewhere or was told that when switching all your light bulbs to led's that you should change the 12v fuses to smaller rated ones in the panel. The fuses help protect the wiring, so if the led's use less power, you need a smaller rated fuse to protect that circuit. Don't know if this is true or not, so hopefully an electrical guru on the forum can share their knowledge about this.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
If you are literally just changing incandescent bulbs over to LED, there would be no reason to worry about reducing the fuse sizes.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #26
Site Team

This was posted a while back, but for those that don't search back too far.

If you are buying inexpensive ones, ( ie ebay etc) I suggest you buy one or two and if they work buy the rest. As part of the test, turn on the LED lights, then try the over-the-air TV and radio. Inexpensive LEDs can generate considerable interference.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This was posted a while back, but for those that don't search back too far.

If you are buying inexpensive ones, ( ie ebay etc) I suggest you buy one or two and if they work buy the rest. As part of the test, turn on the LED lights, then try the over-the-air TV and radio. Inexpensive LEDs can generate considerable interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
If you are literally just changing incandescent bulbs over to LED, there would be no reason to worry about reducing the fuse sizes.
X2....great advice for anyone considering the change over.

One thing I'd like to add concerning the fuses, at least in my TT, there may be other things on those fuses besides lights, hence going to a smaller rated fuse may cause it to blow. As examples, my fridge and radio are on the fuse with my main room lights and the kitchen sink light is on the fuse from which the water pump is powered. So keep this in mind if anyone wants to start changing fuse sizes (higher or lower)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #28

Thought I would share my this.

I too made a great find this week on LED's. I'm don't mean to hijack your thread but thought I would post this for those that don't use eBay but use Amazon.

Well I'm pleased with the new LED's I got.
These are the ones I bought - http://amzn.com/B00EDFM5QU

All pictures taken with the same settings.
f-stop - 3.5
Exposure/Shutter - 1/13
ISO - 1600
Focal Length - 18mm
No Flash

Here is the bedroom.
With the LED's it a little darker but still plenty of light.

Here is what I'm very pleased with. The main living area is a little brighter and has a lot less shadows.
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #29
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Fuse size concern!

I read somewhere or was told that when switching all your light bulbs to led's that you should change the 12v fuses to smaller rated ones in the panel. The fuses help protect the wiring....

Bob, leave the fuse as sized. Yes, the fuse protects the wiring. That wiring will carry whatever load the fuse is rated for safely. Just because you are lessening the load by swapping out the LEDs, the fuse will still protect that circuit.

Look at it like this. Say one fuse protects 10 lights. What did difference is it to the fuse and wiring if you only use 1 light or all 10? (LEDs typically consume less than 1/10th of an incandescent) It all ends up....leave the fuse as sized. As another posted, you do not know what else may be on that circuit that requires the rating of that fuse.

Hope this helps!
A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #30
Old Camping Squid

I switched my old 921 incandescent over to the 36 smd led lights and I now wished I did it the day I picked it up. The are brighter and cleaner light. No heat at all, my oldest grand-daughter reads all the time, she leaves her lights on all the time and after hours of being left on you can hold your fingers on the led without it being hot.
The biggest thing I noticed is our big exhaust fan, when it is running and the old 921 bulbs turned on the fan would slow down, now every led can be on and the fan does not slow down.
If you are thinking of switching over DO IT, you will only regret not doing it sooner!

2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led