Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Led TV install plus battery and inverter.

I'm looking to install a 24" lg led TV in our 261bxxl, seeing what your guys thoughts, ideas, and check my math haha. Also for anyone else thinking about doing something similar.

Been doing a lot of reading and without knowing the exact wattage of the TV, i have to do my figures from stuff I have seen on this forum. Read that it draws about 30 watts.

The DVDs player supposedly doesn't draw much at 5 watts

Dc that would be, 2.5 amps at 12 volts for the TV, about .5 amps for the DVD player.

I have a group size battery 24 and has 87 amp hours available. Best I can figure I could use my tv for 29 hours. Which would never happen, be more like 2-4 hrs a weekend if it's a rainy weekend. So we'd use very minimal.

Does this add up? I also plan on adding another battery which would help a lot. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.
CrappyFishRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

I installed a 400w invertor to run my 24" TV and blu Rey. Even with the power loss factor in figuring right at 100w so 7 amps draw.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Went on LG's website for their 24" and it says 28 watts. That's crazy low. I drain the battery more with the lights on I'd bet.
CrappyFishRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappyFishRman View Post
I have a group size battery 24 and has 87 amp hours available. Best I can figure I could use my tv for 29 hours. Which would never happen, be more like 2-4 hrs a weekend if it's a rainy weekend. So we'd use very minimal.

Does this add up? I also plan on adding another battery which would help a lot. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.
Only half of that 87 AH is available, or you will have a battery that won't hold a charge in very short order.

A true deep cycle battery can go down to 50% of charge hundreds of times without self-destructing. A combination battery (marine/deep-cycle) can handle a couple hundred 50% discharges before it is toast. A car starting battery will go maybe 6 deep discharges (50%) and it will be toast.

You also have other 12V current draws besides your DVD player/TV. Propane/CO detector, lights (LED lights help a lot), fans, fridge and water heater controls, water pump, and your furnace blower (usually biggest draw). A single size 24 battery (85AH) will not last more than 2 days without going below 50% with just normal loads, and will often only go 1 day.

Adding a second battery of the same size in parallel gives you the full 85AH, and up to 4 days if you are very careful with your usage.

That said, the DVD/TV draw is pretty small and won't make a lot of difference (6AH per day, 15% of your present capacity) if unplugged after a couple of hours a day. If you leave them plugged in, there will be parasitic current draws when not in use.

Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

Another option you might look into is a 12V TV.

I just bought an Insignia 24" TV from Best Buy. It has a 110v to 12v transformer, so I figure I can just hard wire it into my unit's 12V circuit and not have to worry about inverters for the TV.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Living 'Off Grid'

If using a Sat rec/dvr, remember it will draw 20-25 watts even when it's turned off. Unplug when not using.
Snuff Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Second battery a good idea when using an inverter. 200 watts will draw close to 20 amps. Need heavy wire to inverter. Probably at least 10 guage and a 30 amp fuse.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

I did this same thing when the bedroom TV failed a couple of years ago and needed replacing. By looking at the shopping websites that list the TV specifications, I was able to find several models of the (back then) new LED LCD TVs that used ridiculously little power compared to the more common LCD TVs that used cold cathode backlighting. It should be even easier today, as I suspect most TVs now use LED backlighting. The 24 inch LG brand TV that I chose uses 28 watts, and the yellow Energy Guide sticker says it costs $6 per year to operate. The Blu-ray player draws even less.

I installed a 300 watt sine wave inverter in an adjacent compartment close to the battery compartment to keep the DC cables as short as possible, and then ran Romex wiring to a new outlet installed in the bedroom cabinet next to the existing power outlet. When I boondock, I just switch the TV power cord from the regular AC outlet to the inverter outlet.

When I initially tested the TV on a cheap modified wave inverter, it worked fine. I decided to use a more expensive sine wave inverter because I also wired another outlet for recharging devices that required the true sine wave. A small inverter sized for the load works great, allowing me to only run the generator for larger loads such as air conditioning or the microwave oven.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

A lot of LED / LCD TVs will operate off of 12 volts, but they are not advertised or sold as such.

I wrote a short article on how to identify and wire up those TVs.

Will a 120 volt TV work on 12 volts DC – MAYBE | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Here is a link to how I upgraded the TV in my Ole Mirada.

Installing and upgrading TVs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Retired Techie

Try this one. 12v tv, no inverter require. Got mine for $92. Works great.
RCA DECG22DR 22-Inch Class LED Full HDTV AC/DC Power DVD Combo
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

Check BestBuy, they have tv's that run off of 12v. I just upgraded to a 28 inch and it used the same cable that the previous 12v tv did.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter, led