Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

www.flexfireleds.com

Not saying I'd for sure buy all of the stuff from them, but they were helpful and have quite a few things on their site.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #12

Thinking about installing some LEDs under our new coach and am trying to figure a few particulars out.

I need to 16 ft strips to run down each frame between front and rear axle. May need two shorter lengths maybe 4ft to run up front and in rear side to side.

My question is can this be done with one controller? Also, would it be best to plug into a basement outlet for power or try to wire directly to chassis/starting battery? Don't think I can use the house batteries as they are 4- 6volt batteries.

Any help is appreciated. I want to keep this as simple as possible!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #13

Gotta Figure it out

It's all about Math and Power. Take a look at post#8 on this thread. It would depend on current draw and supply. Many strips come with 300 leds some with 150. I would do as big John did in post#8. Call someone and chat.

Sorry I could not be more help....

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
www.flexfireleds.com

Not saying I'd for sure buy all of the stuff from them, but they were helpful and have quite a few things on their site.
Hey Big John,
When you figure it all out and get them installed you can make a weekend trip to SE Louisiana and do mine on my 2012 CC 36RE!! Been contemplating them since April '12. Yes I am a procrastinator. Steve A. Dagro
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
Plain Old Member

Hey Steve. You can bet if we're ever in the area, I'm always willing to help. I got it in my head, just gotta make it happen. Waiting for wife to approve $$$. Since she handles all of that, she has a LONG list of add ons and modifications I want. Every time I'm off / home we look at it, prioritize it, and get a couple of those items. LED's isn't on the top right now, but hopefully soon. Hopefully by spring. I too have been wanting them on every camper we've had, but I'm finally going to actually do it this time. Cargo trailer with modifications is first priority since it's more of a necessity.

We were in NOLA a couple of weeks ago at the Monster Jam show, so we were kind of close. Not sure where we're headed first once we get the fifth wheel completely loaded and hit the road, but I have a feeling it'll be south for now. Never know when we'll cross paths as we cruise through Hammond quite often.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #16

Why not just gave everything run off 12 vdc always? When on shore power the converter/batteries will keep up and when dry camping, you will be able to use them on batt only, if you want to.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #17

The only issue I have had with leds (and ive run approx 500ft between trailer and my home) is using in an end to end fashion for VERY long runs (like behind the crown moulding in my home)...the controllers I have would not power 75ft end to end without dimming.....but 2 16ft strips with a 'y' type connection is no issue..actually ive done 4 and it was fine

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Not sure if I'll do the 12v or 120v route. We never dry camp, and never plan to. Just not our thing. 120v would be fine, and since I already have a receptacle in the basement for vacuum, it'd be easier that way for now.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #19

Honestly i went 12v because im cheap...and I got tired of buying transformer boxes for the diff strips in my trailer.....it sure is convenient to have them hard wired though...I guess really no benefit if u never ever dry camp...

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
The only issue I have had with leds (and ive run approx 500ft between trailer and my home) is using in an end to end fashion for VERY long runs (like behind the crown moulding in my home)...the controllers I have would not power 75ft end to end without dimming.....but 2 16ft strips with a 'y' type connection is no issue..actually ive done 4 and it was fine

You need a larger wattage power supply to push watts required. If it is a very long distance the wire within the led strip will have a voltage drop. The specs will address the max length that can be cinnected. To overcome this you can run a wire along the strip to catch the second string of led lights.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
led, light