Old 02-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

LED Underbody Lights

Hoping somebody can help out a little on this. At some point I'll be putting LED underbody lights the length of our 35QB4. There is a bazillion kits and selections on the internet so I'm not even sure which one is decent. Most kits aren't over 16' long. I need at least 2 of those per side to cover from front to back of the frame rail. RV is 40', minus the fifth wheel portion so figure at least 30-35' of lights to cover frame, x 2. I'm a little old fashion as I'd rather talk to somebody face to face and know exactly what I'm getting and have all the parts and pieces I need the first time. Not so easy with all the choices and online stuff. Can't just run down to Ace or Lowes and see what I'm getting.

1) Does anybody know of a good place to order this stuff where you can actually talk to somebody, explain what you want and make sure you have every strip, connector, controller etc you need?
2) As for mounting, I'm pretty sure just sticking them to the frame rail isn't going to last. Most have a sticky back to them, but seems it'd be better to run them in a clear tubing or something. Any ideas?

If anybody has done this, I'd love to hear some feedback.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Well I got mine from here: LED-Outlets

there isn't anyone to talk to ... but its really easy and cheap, but shipping is 20 to 40 days.

I used two RGB strips ... one under the awning and one under the trailer.

I attached them to the body and frame using: 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952 Black, 3/4 in x 15 yd 45 mil: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I first pealed the tape that came on the lights off and only used the 3M tape.

I also got a RED strip, cut it in half, ran them vertically on the back of the trailer as additional brake lights. They really grab people's attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	604
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	45903   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	45904  

Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Thanks for the reply. Looks great. Once you cut the strips like you did on the rear, how do you wire them up? Are there connectors? I've never looked at some first hand so don't know much about them. I was hoping to do at least 30' on each frame rail, so 60', and still run off of one controller, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. May have to do 2 controllers or sets.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post

there isn't anyone to talk to ... but its really easy and cheap, but shipping is 20 to 40 days.

I attached them to the body and frame using: 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952 Black, 3/4 in x 15 yd 45 mil: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I also got a RED strip, cut it in half, ran them vertically on the back of the trailer as additional brake lights. They really grab people's attention.
What color is designated for the middle step?
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

The ends of these had premade wire leads, on the ends i cut off, i just used heat shrink and silicone to seal them up.

I used one controller for each 5 meter RGB set ... they have a remote control, so the IR receiver is just mounted next to each other, so that they will work in sync.

The solid RED strip didn't need a controller, so its wired directly to the tail light circuit.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Gotcha. Makes sense. Appreciate the explanation.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Some info

Big John;

I just finished ordering all my stuff a few minutes ago. As stated previously there are many, many choices. I focused in on the controller and remote first since this was the most important to me. I wanted an RF controller as I did not want to need line of sight and I did want to mess with the IR receiver. I went to these guys for the, Strip, controller and power adapter. I plan on making a jumper wire so I can run off the rigs 12V or use the adapter when I have shore power. I will pay attention to the quality of the strip and if not satisfied I will purchase another as this one was under $17.00. I also wanted the ability to change colors. Most 5050 strips are encased in Silicon for protection the 3528 strips not so. Look for IP65. It is a standard for water protection. Most will state if they are waterproof or not. There is a 169 page thread on this forum on this subject. I go a lot of info from that. Just search Awning lights.

This is the controller I purchased

Touch Remote Sync Controller PWM for RGB LED Strip Blub Module String DC12 24V | eBay

I got it from these guys. Even if you do not buy from them they have great specs on all their auctions

16ft 5M 5050 RGB SMD LED Waterproof Flexible Strip Light 300 LEDs items in ipartsdepot store on eBay!

I hope all these URLs work. I plan on putting mine in the awning channel. I also ordered all the run cable I need as well.

Good Luck

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Thanks David. The URLs worked. I came across a website earlier and emailed the people. They said due to what I wanted to do (64' run, or 32' down each frame rail), I should run the 150 LED's due to power. I had told them I wanted to run off the battery, but I may change my mind. The controller they had was just like the one you posted, just more $$. Based on the info I told them, they put together everything I'd possibly need and sent a quote. A little more pricey than some of the ebay ones, but if buying from a company I can call if something isn't right, and they'll take care of it, it could sometimes be worth a little extra. I will pay for convenience. Seemed to be very informative people, in the US, that spoke English. Only other thing I could do is find the components they listed elsewhere for cheaper and hope I get the right thing. I'm leaning a little more towards running off of 110v and power supply at this point since LED's like more stable power.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

Think about this

John;

I am going to put a 12V pig tail connector from the AC adapter (on the 12V line out). I am also going to tie on into the 12V system somewhere. In that manner I can run off shore power when plugged in (through the AC connector) or batteries when dry camping. Just need to disconnect one and plug in the other.

This is what I am going to use or something like it.

2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Plug Harness 12V Volt 12in SAE Connectors Solar | eBay

I also ordered this. I plan on connecting to the male end of the the LED strip, cutting off the other end and connecting the wires to the controller. I only need a 14 foot run so this will allow me one connection from the strip to the controller. It will be the only connection outside. I will silicon caulk it and shrink wrap it.

2 5 5M 4 Pin Extension Connection Cable Wire for SMD 5050 3528 RGB LED Strip | eBay

What company were you chatting with?

David

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post

Those look AWESOME!!

Tags
led, light