Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

LEDs Round 2

Purchased two of the pictured LEDs on EBAY from a seller in Hong Kong. Shipping was of a normal time frame. Price was $4.80 each, free shipping.

My wife had wanted bulbs for our reading lights over the bed that each have a single 198 bulb but didn't want them to be as bright as the 198s.

I decided to give these a try. These have 5 smd LEDs with 360 degree output however they are not nearly bright enough to be used for the reading lights. They would be good for accent lighting somewhere though.

I also bought at the same time, two other bulbs almost identical but they have 13 smd LEDs. Should have those in a day or two and will post my findings when I have a chance to try them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDs.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2318  
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

NWJeeper, did you ever get the 13 LED units, and if so, how did they work ??? I am looking at replacing my 921s, and have found some of the 360 design like you have. Here is some choices, with 1 having 9 LEDs, and 1 having 15 LEDs.

http://autolumination.com/906.htm

Wondering if anyone else has replaced their 921s with LEDs, and how they work.

What is the difference between "smd" and "smt" ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

I replaced all my 921 lights in my trailer as well. I bought 2 just to try them out from www.ledlight.com . I got the 12SMT side firing cool white units. Was so impressed with them, I bought enough to do all the fuxtures. Wasn't cheap, but not running out of battery when in the middle of nowhere is priceless.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
I replaced all my 921 lights in my trailer as well. I bought 2 just to try them out from www.ledlight.com . I got the 12SMT side firing cool white units. Was so impressed with them, I bought enough to do all the fuxtures. Wasn't cheap, but not running out of battery when in the middle of nowhere is priceless.
The 12 SMTs look like a twist in base, vs. the 921s are a 2 prong push in base. How did you make them work ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

I used bubble gum and bailing wire! Nah, just kidding. I may have misdirected you, look for product code 26453, 0 degree offset, warm white, which, in my humble opinion, gives pretty much an exact match to the color of an incandecent bulb, which is very easy on the eyes.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
NWJeeper, did you ever get the 13 LED units, and if so, how did they work ??? I am looking at replacing my 921s, and have found some of the 360 design like you have. Here is some choices, with 1 having 9 LEDs, and 1 having 15 LEDs.

http://autolumination.com/906.htm

Wondering if anyone else has replaced their 921s with LEDs, and how they work.

What is the difference between "smd" and "smt" ??
I did get them and they didn't put out enough light. However they work good for the closet lights so I put them in there. Still looking for a single wedge base bulb for the reading lights but may just put up with regular incadesent bulbs in there for the little use they get, I just haven't found anything that fits in there and is as bright.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
I used bubble gum and bailing wire! Nah, just kidding. I may have misdirected you, look for product code 26453, 0 degree offset, warm white, which, in my humble opinion, gives pretty much an exact match to the color of an incandecent bulb, which is very easy on the eyes.
WOW at $18 each before shipping those aren't cheap. I will stick with the 36smd panels for the overheads that I have been getting through Hong Kong for $10 each and free shipping. Very pleased with them.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Yup, you are right, they aren't cheap. Add on the UPS charges for brokerage, and it becomes a kick in the beets as well. BUT, these are very bright lights, easily comparable to the 921's they replaced, that's why I started with 4, was really impressed, then replaced them all (14 in total). After 3 days and nights of boondocking in mid October and still having the battery monitor read 2/3 at the end of it, I've accepted the cost, and more importantly so did my darling wife, even though she was sceptical at first.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Yup, you are right, they aren't cheap. Add on the UPS charges for brokerage, and it becomes a kick in the beets as well. BUT, these are very bright lights, easily comparable to the 921's they replaced, that's why I started with 4, was really impressed, then replaced them all (14 in total). After 3 days and nights of boondocking in mid October and still having the battery monitor read 2/3 at the end of it, I've accepted the cost, and more importantly so did my darling wife, even though she was sceptical at first.
Yeah you guys really get sucker punched up there in Canada if you have to order anything from the states. That really hurts. We have friends in Kelowna and they maintain a post office box in Oroville, WA and have some of their things sent there and then just go pick them up. Shouldn't have to be like that.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Hey Clint - here's a hint for you. Never, ever, ever import anything from a U.S. vendor who insists on using UPS. As you have already discovered, using UPS can almost double the item cost !!! In my opinion USPS Parcel Post is the best method as once it arrives, and depending on the size/weight of the package, Canada Post may not even charge the GST/PST. For larger and heavier items, I always use a mail drop service located in Point Roberts - Canada Border Services will collect the tax (you are going to declare it - right ? ) , but that still beats the highway robbery of UPS by a country mile ! Incidentally, Fedex is not a bad second choice.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Hey Clint - here's a hint for you. Never, ever, ever import anything from a U.S. vendor who insists on using UPS. As you have already discovered, using UPS can almost double the item cost !!! In my opinion USPS Parcel Post is the best method as once it arrives, and depending on the size/weight of the package, Canada Post may not even charge the GST/PST. For larger and heavier items, I always use a mail drop service located in Point Roberts - Canada Border Services will collect the tax (you are going to declare it - right ? ) , but that still beats the highway robbery of UPS by a country mile !

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Canadian Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
WOW at $18 each before shipping those aren't cheap. I will stick with the 36smd panels for the overheads that I have been getting through Hong Kong for $10 each and free shipping. Very pleased with them.
Do you have a link to the 10$ alternatives?
gygagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gygagnon View Post
Do you have a link to the 10$ alternatives?
Go to Ebay and search for the seller "farmerseller". Many of us have bought the 36 SMD panels for our overhead lights. They are shipped from Hong Kong so it takes some time but they work great.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Canadian Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Go to Ebay and search for the seller "farmerseller". Many of us have bought the 36 SMD panels for our overhead lights. They are shipped from Hong Kong so it takes some time but they work great.
Found it thank you
gygagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Hey Clint - here's a hint for you. Never, ever, ever import anything from a U.S. vendor who insists on using UPS. As you have already discovered, using UPS can almost double the item cost !!! In my opinion USPS Parcel Post is the best method as once it arrives, and depending on the size/weight of the package, Canada Post may not even charge the GST/PST. For larger and heavier items, I always use a mail drop service located in Point Roberts - Canada Border Services will collect the tax (you are going to declare it - right ? ) , but that still beats the highway robbery of UPS by a country mile !

...VTX-AL
Thanks, I know that now. I asked/pleaded with them to send the lights any way but UPS, they said they could not. Do you think they get a kick-back? I ordered some stuff from Summit once, very large box, it came to my front door from USPS, no charges. I like that. If I ever have to ship through UPS again, I do know someone in Pt. Bob, I'll use their address for sure.