Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Level for a 5th wheel ?

on my old travel trailer i had a level on the front to help leveling
but now i have a new 5th wheel and i was wondering what other 5th wheel owners do,
i seen a level that mounts to the tongue at campers world but i am not to sure about drilling holes in the tongue to mount it
any other ideas ( pictures are always good )

thanks

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Eh...most of 'em are just the stick on type. Takes a bit to get it just right, but once it is set, it works fine. I also use my iPhone...yeah, there's an app for that.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Anacortesians

The technique I used was based on the input that the bottom of the fridge is the place that has to be level. I put a 12" level in there and worked the jacks until it was level in both fore/aft and side to side.

I then put uo two of the stick-on levels, one on the forward TV cabinet for side-to-side and one on the driver's side window for fore and aft. I can see them both from the driver's seat, where the jack control panel is located.

Of course, we have a Class A (see sig), but the basic concept would be the same for a 5th wheel.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I have a stick on that shows "inchs out of level" glued to the driver side front off near the landing gear up down switch.

I back/pull into the spot where I intend to park it and get out and look at the bubble. It will let me know how many and what size 2x12x12PT boards (I also have 1x6x12s PT - 2 per tire) to put under the low tires.

I pull forward; slide the correct number of boards between the tires and behind the trailing tire; and back up on them.

Recheck level; it should be right in the center; and put the X-Chock in both sides.

Proceed with disconnect and level fore and aft with the landing gear. I use a 12 inch level on the floor of the camper to check. Since I lift the back slightly with the rear stabilizers I allow for that with the landing gear.

If it ever turns out that I did not allow enough, you must remember to retract the rear stabilizers some before raising the front landing gear. Failure to do so will result in damage to the rear stabilizers.
(Don't ask how I know).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5

I'm with Herk7769, but I have the side to side level on the front corner of the fifth where I can see it in my rear view mirror. The other is on the side near the switch that controls the jacks.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

Lou

Where did you get level that shows inches out that is a nice feature to have.
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
Connecticut
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

The ticks are inches.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I thought about getting the giant one that bolts to the pin box, but I worried that it was so flimsy already that more holes would be just another weak point for a crack to start.

Sticking the "stick on" level I use on the wall by the switch to the front of the aero cap instead of the wall would do me no good (though it is a great idea) as it is too small (for me) to see from the cab. I will need to go out to check 99% of the time to find out how many boards to get out of the truck anyway.

Tags
5th wheel