Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Light when opening door - how?

Does anyone want to take a pet project on? I'd like to have an inside light come on when I open the front door and then stay on for 30-45 seconds or so. I could either mount it on the ceiling or right above the door.

I know I'll need to fish power up to the light wherever it is mounted. What I don't understand is what I need for the relay when the door opens nor what/how to do the delay for keeping the light on for a period of time.

Does anyone want to spend my money and tell me (specifically w/ links preferably) what I need for this project?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

I have seen some motion lights that have an adjustable field of view that could be set to only look straight down at the door so when it's opened it would trip the light for however long you set it for. And it would not come on when you are moving around the camper. That would be pretty easy to install and fairly cheap. I would start by putting interior motion light into a search engine and go from there.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Does anyone want to take a pet project on? I'd like to have an inside light come on when I open the front door and then stay on for 30-45 seconds or so. I could either mount it on the ceiling or right above the door.

I know I'll need to fish power up to the light wherever it is mounted. What I don't understand is what I need for the relay when the door opens nor what/how to do the delay for keeping the light on for a period of time.

Does anyone want to spend my money and tell me (specifically w/ links preferably) what I need for this project?

Thanks in advance!
This could be as simple as getting a battery operated light that has a motion sensor. Some sensors are programable for delay, but most usually have a minute or two. I'll check it it out.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

I’m thinking about installing this Lowes ( Lutron 2-Amp Maestro White Occupancy Decorator Light Switch ). For 19.99 I did not see any time delayCooper Wiring Devices 5-Amp White Combination Motion activated Decorator Light Switch.I will not have to run extra wires to the light,just replace the wall plate. It is good got 5 amps and I have changed my lamps out to led’s. We use them in the house and the attic, that way you will not have to search for a string or anything like that. We just drop the access door down and the light comes on. They can be adjusted to motion activity or a delay timer. Just a thought

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

I bought four of these for the trailer. 8 LED Light White Lamp PIR Auto Sensor Motion Detector Wireless | eBay

Put one just inside the door. Great for walking in when it's dark. Lights your way to turn on other lights. Will also put one in down by the floor in the bedroom and perhaps one in the storage unit....

The light is quite bright. Note these have 8 lamps. No wires to run and will put up with the 3m strips.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

^ I like those QuietTimes, thanks for the link.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Good stuff, thanks everyone!