Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Question Lined A/C Cover with Reflectix

I posted this on another forum and received some interesting comments so I would be interested in any input from knowledgeable members of this FR site.

I came up with this brilliant idea (in my own mind) to take the roof A/C cover off, clean up the interior and then cover the inside of the a/c cover with Reflextix(available at your local box stores).
Anyway, the job was very easy and I covered the complete inside except the vent areas. I secured the Reflectix with dabs of 5200 to help in preventing any sagging onto the top of the a/c parts.

My thought is that the reflectix will reflect the hard Florida sun from the compressor and condenser and allow it to run a little cooler.

Running cooler might help improve efficiency and less overall strain on the a/c unit.

So, so far, after a week, it seems like the a/c is running far less than before (might be just a mind thing) but it does seem like a keeper mod.

After completing the a/c mod, I then removed the Max Aire covers from my vents and covered the interior of them with the Reflectix as well.

My wife had previously cut Reflectix pieces to attach into the inside of the roof vents, thus significantly reducing interior heat, but the area around the vents still seemed to remain quite warm compared to the rest of the ceiling.

I immediately noticed a very significant drop in temperature after my Reflectix addition to the actual roof vent covers. (This was not just a mind game - it really works).

Has anyone else done this?
How about long term effects?
Anyone have any pros/cons on what I did?

I have seen a couple of the more expensive window a/c units with a layer of insulation in them, so maybe this is not a crazy idea?
Unfortunately I did not do any prior measurements so if anyone does try this, please post some before and after results/measurements.
BBDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

What other forum? I'd like to read it. Can you add s link to it?
MzZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Lined A/C cover with Reflectix - link to more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzZorro View Post
What other forum? I'd like to read it. Can you add s link to it?
Here you go, lots of good reading. I am still very happy with the result of my effort and would highly recommend this simple mod.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Added Reflextix to Roof A/C and Exterior Vent covers
Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #4

I think I will do this also. I have already lined my baggage area with it and also every cabinet in the 5ver against the outside walls.Also the front storage compartment and the wardrobe closet.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

I think that would be a terrific idea! Not expensive and would also help in added sound deadening. A double benefit also for winter and summer weather.

Great ideas from great minds!!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

Not familiar with "reflextix". Is it silver foil like with bubbles inside like bubble wrap? We used this in the house to wrap hot air ducting.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Yes, that is it and is available at most big box home repair stores. Inexpensive and long life and the stuff works!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Graduate Member

Can someone post pics? We 4-season camp and I'm about to start doing some of these mods.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Can someone post pics? We 4-season camp and I'm about to start doing some of these mods.
OK,OK I must get up and clean my roof next week, so I will remove the covers (finally) and post some picts. Been putting it off due to health/back surgery issue but I am better now and I gotta do it, so I have a plan. Next week!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDAWG View Post
OK,OK I must get up and clean my roof next week, so I will remove the covers (finally) and post some picts. Been putting it off due to health/back surgery issue but I am better now and I gotta do it, so I have a plan. Next week!
I think it's a brilliant idea. I'm going to buy some based on this idea alone. But I think a picture would REALLY sell it!

And what about adding double sided magnetic strips - like on an attic fan insulated cover? That way I'm thinking of a door cover, vent covers and even window covers. All removable and held by magnetic strips. Granted those strips would be glued to the wall.

We could even do a drape cutting off the front cab and overhead bed - strung up by magnetic strips.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #11

I finally made it back onto the roof and after what is approaching a year, I found my reflectix in exactly the same shape as when I installed it. WoW, I am impressed! No degradation at all, maybe a slight, but very slight discoloration.
I wish I could attach these photos to the first post in this series but I do not know how to do it.
As you can see from the pictures, it is a very simple process to install the reflectix.
Please note the color of the reflectix on the a/c cover then the reflectix on the outside water filter. I added the reflectix cover to the water filter today and you can see the color difference between a year ago and today.

My wife cut reflectix to cover all of our windows and used small (tiny) pieces of sticky velcro to attach to the window screen frames. She used larger peices in the beginning but it just ripped the reflectix when removing so she used 1/4 inch pieces and just let the velcro edges overlap about 1/8in. using 6 pieces it works just great. easy on and easy off. We also used the velcro/reflectix inside each of the inside of the roof vent openings along with the interior lining of the exterior the roof vent covers.
We are enjoying significant cost reductions in both electric and propane gas for the heater.
Enjoy!

I also used the reflectix around my outside clear case water filter to prevent algae and freezing.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
10x

That is not reflecting the sun away due to it mounted on the inside of the cover. It probably is holding heat, you need to get heat away from the condensor. I would remove it.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #13

I did a test a few years ago in july in Mytle Beach at Pirateland and they are posted here on the forum, here is what I did to reduce the heat load in my camper now the temps in Mytle where around 90 to 97 degrees.

To start with we had a 2006 8314ss ForestRiver Rockwood, it came with a 13,500 BTU Dometic A/C unit. The first time we were at Mytle Beach this unit would not cool an out-house, it was a terrible two weeks acept at night when the heat load is reduced. The second time we when this is what I did:

1. My wife made instulated curtains and installed them with spring rods on all of the windows aand we kept them close during the day.
2. I added reflictix to the bathroom skylight, both windows in the doors and to the two vents in the roof.
3. I replace the 13,500 BTU Dometic A/C unit with a 15,000 BTU Carrier unit.
4. I set the T stat to 72 degrees and set the fan control from "AUTO" to "ON", by doing this it help keep the air moving all of the time which help to eliminate hot spots in the camper.
5. The day/night shades, I found by closing the night shades it generated more heat at the windows so I left the night side shades up but keep the day shades closed, I used a temp gun and this is display on the post. Remember night shades are dark and they attract heat.

Now after doing all of this the second time around the A/C system did cycle you could hear the compressor come on and shut down but the fan kept runing, i must say this did work well for me.

Now to be up front with you, I would not line the inside of my a/c cover and here is why:

1. By adding reflectix inside of the cover it refects heat but it is making the componets hotter the reflectix act as an insulator the cover is white in color and that is so it does not attract heat and the material that the cover is made of is thin, the A/C system is design to operate as it is. I would not be concern for the compressor, my concerns would be over heating the electrical. The vents on the cover are design to allow a certain amount of heat that the componets are producing to vent safely and by holding more heat could cause a heat overload.
If you can get the heat loads under control with in the camper then the A/C system will operate better, this applies to your home as well. I like your idea but this could case the system to fail sooner then exspected

Remember this, if everthing in the camper is hot the a/c system has to cool all surfaces as well, the a/c system has to remove all heat and over come the heat loads...people included, the average person just setting in a chair or standing produces appox 300 to 350 BTU's an hour.

If you are interested in the test I did on my camper let me know and i will try to find it here on the forum.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
That is not reflecting the sun away due to it mounted on the inside of the cover. It probably is holding heat, you need to get heat away from the condensor. I would remove it.
I agree, mold and alge like wet ,dark and warm areas to grow, i would remove it. If you are concern I woud get a UV system.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
Toy-aholic

I would think a solar powered fan mounted to the cover would do a better job off heat removal.

Tags
cooling, reflectix, air conditioner