Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

Lippert solid step...removal

Not sure if this is in the right location or not.

Just purchased a 2019 325 Wolfpack 13 toy hauler. Love pretty much everything except the pile of junk stairs that are starting to show in new campers. I’m referring to the solid step finger pinching pos.

I thought that I could learn to live with it, but after 3 weeks I want the stupid thing gone.

My camper storage location at my house makes the use of this step impossible as the pad isn’t much wider than the camper and it’s 8+ inches to the ground. Dropping the step has already dented the crap outta the trailer and slightly sprung the bottom hinge.

Toss in the mud and water now in the coach cause the DW forgot to clean the steps, in ability to get by the stairs while in the coach from the rear, pinched and cut fingers, plus the overall clunkyness of it makes me wonder why anybody would want this arcane pos on a toy hauler! I mean really what’s wrong with the plain Jane 3 step pull out? So what it wiggles? The whole RV does!

Just another example of a solution that has more problems than it solves.

Ok enough ranting, has anyone put in a set of pull out stairs on a coach that doesn’t have them originally?

Any suggestions?
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Happy Keystone Owner

Lippert solid step...removal

Agree! My door is half over the rear wheel so I’m stuck with them.
Can’t even sweep the dirt out the door!

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

I found a nice 3 step pull out on etrailer ( even seem a 4 step pull out) but not sure if it is mounted in an angle iron cassette or not.

Fortunately I can look at my rear door as it is a standard pullout step.

I’m handy with a welder and not afraid to fabricate the mounts and trim it out.

The dealership I purchased it from was willing to swap it out for $500. I’m just not sure that they could do a better job than I could... I want it to look factory, not something that looks like it was cut up with a sawzall.

What ever is done something has to be done with the floor hinge piece that is screwed to the floor ( thru the vinyl flooring )in the coach that also contacts the bottom of the door.

Probably means at a minimum I’ll have to replace the hinge plate with a metal blank of same size.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #4

I took a closer look at the door today.

Good news is that it looks to be a very easy fix.

The pos steps can be removed with out modifications to the door. In fact it will extend the life of the door as the bottom sweep will not be pressured so much when the step is at a odd angle.

Once the step is out I will repair the vinyl flooring with some repair putty. A shoe wipe rug sits at our doorstep any way.

I will need to fabricate or purchase the hangers for the pull out steps...not a big deal as they are just 14 ga plate with flange bends on each end.

The trim under the door will need to be cut back and the cut edges will be trimmed in marine push on edging.

I’m getting the steps and trim on order. And will post the process in a few weeks.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #5

Picture building a deck and having to deal with that My deck is at trailer floor level. (seasonal site. doesn't move) If had that I would have to remove it.

Neighbor in camp has one. He built a ground lever deck. He had to built in an opening in the deck to allow the stairs to fold down. The problem is now he has to precision park the trailer every time in order for the stairs to fit.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #6

How do you really feel about the steps?

Have a great day.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

Our problem was not having enough room to fold down the steps in the storage yard due to the lack of room to the next trailer. I drilled out the rivets that mount the stairs to the hinge and replaced the rivets with ball-detent pins. The stairs now go in a storage compartment and we use a set of portable aluminum folding steps if we want to get in without mounting up the stairs. For traveling, I simply remount the stairs and use a section of pool noodle to keep the stairs from damaging the screen as I no longer use the gas struts. DW loves the stairs so I had to find a work-around.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

Those steps are a classic..."Love / Hate" relationship. We love ours. Not a single problem with them. No trouble getting level, no pinch, no damage. Now in situations like yours with storage...yeah...it becomes an issue. I'm able to store in driveway with plenty of room to open steps, so that has not been an issue for me. Wife loves the stability of them and they were a Godsend for my Mother-in-Law...R.I.P when we first got the trailer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

Different people like different stuff, I always tell people what works for you. Some people take the old steps out and put the new steps in. Daisy Boykin likes the new steps so he had the old steps taken out and the new steps installed. What works for one doesn’t work for all. Buy what you like
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #10

I agree with the OP. I would never buy a unit with those solid steps. I would make replacing them with regular or glowsteps a part of the deal.
The only advantage I see in these solid steps is if you weight 250+, as they can be more stable.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

I’m with nmwidcat...I have read enough negatives and am throughly convinced I want Glowsteps. Now all I gotta do is find/spend the $400.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

I replaced my step with the Glowstep Revolution. We had the older generation of the 3 step fold out. Therefore not sure if your trailer has the same holding space under the door. But our was an easy change out. Love it so far but wished we had got it before our 40 day trip in the Southwest not after. It’s adjustable and would have no issue compensating for the 8 inch drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F366D5C1-29DC-4ADE-9D7F-04FBB3A09BA8.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	202399   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A5F8BF0-8516-49C5-B530-92759BA09049.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	202400  
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

And I not sure why my pictures are posting sideways all of a sudden.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I’m with nmwidcat...I have read enough negatives and am throughly convinced I want Glowsteps. Now all I gotta do is find/spend the $400.
LOL!! I'm right there with you! I really want those glowsteps, but the wife wants a 50amp EMS. I don't understand why, but I can bet who will win!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
LOL!! I'm right there with you! I really want those glowsteps, but the wife wants a 50amp EMS. I don't understand why, but I can bet who will win!!!

Uhhh. Hello. Mother’s Day. Fathers Day. Anniversary. You can get each other what they want.

My wife(me) usually gets me exactly what I want for my birthday or Christmas...as I just buy what I want and she just tells me exactly what she wants.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
How do you really feel about the steps?

Have a great day.
They look like something that I’d find on a cheap deck in a trailer park since you asked. 😎
Old 04-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I replaced my step with the Glowstep Revolution. We had the older generation of the 3 step fold out. Therefore not sure if your trailer has the same holding space under the door. But our was an easy change out. Love it so far but wished we had got it before our 40 day trip in the Southwest not after. It’s adjustable and would have no issue compensating for the 8 inch drop.

Nice!

I like the idea! Maybe that’s the route I’ll take. I will be on the road for a bit so I do have some time.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The MorRyde steps are great! Just need to learn how to use them. Change is inevitable and I doubt any dealer would modify the frame fro glowsteps as the it need brackets to be welded voiding the warranty.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes79 View Post
Not sure if this is in the right location or not.

Just purchased a 2019 325 Wolfpack 13 toy hauler. Love pretty much everything except the pile of junk stairs that are starting to show in new campers. I’m referring to the solid step finger pinching pos.

I thought that I could learn to live with it, but after 3 weeks I want the stupid thing gone.

My camper storage location at my house makes the use of this step impossible as the pad isn’t much wider than the camper and it’s 8+ inches to the ground. Dropping the step has already dented the crap outta the trailer and slightly sprung the bottom hinge.

Toss in the mud and water now in the coach cause the DW forgot to clean the steps, in ability to get by the stairs while in the coach from the rear, pinched and cut fingers, plus the overall clunkyness of it makes me wonder why anybody would want this arcane pos on a toy hauler! I mean really what’s wrong with the plain Jane 3 step pull out? So what it wiggles? The whole RV does!

Just another example of a solution that has more problems than it solves.

Ok enough ranting, has anyone put in a set of pull out stairs on a coach that doesn’t have them originally?

Any suggestions?

Yes. Glowstep Revolution. Solved all step problems.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The MorRyde steps are great! Just need to learn how to use them. Change is inevitable and I doubt any dealer would modify the frame fro glowsteps as the it need brackets to be welded voiding the warranty.
Yes they function when in the down position. That’s it. I see the desire for it on more permanent type of RVs or those that never leave the beaten path.

Local dealer mentioned that I’m not the first to call them up and request conversion back to the pull out steps.

Keep in mind I have a TH and use it that way. I’m not deploying on nice paved full hookup lots.

The pull out steps are not welded on. Only the hangers for the step cassette are. They could be bolted on as well. Welding on the frame in the same fashion as a factory installation will not void the warranty.