Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Lithium Question

Hi,

For those of you who have, or advocate, lithium conversion, do you all live in areas where there are no high/low temperature restriction issues?

Rich Phillips

Old 12-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I fulltime and avoid low temperature. If itís less than 50 degrees, I get whiney.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Hi,

The reason I ask is that I sometimes spend summer time in the hot desert, and I live in the upper Midwest with plenty of very cold temps.

For instance, I'm getting ready to leave for Quartzite after Christmas, and will be in and out, opening slides and using lights. My solar system tops my T105s up nicely after each time I'm over there -- all winter. But if I understand correctly, lithiums couldn't handle that use pattern. Nor could they live well in any typical compartment in 100+ degrees when I'm in the Utah or Arizona desert.

Am I missing something about their adaptability to other than moderate conditions?

Rich Phillips --
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

On a facebook group im on most are from arizona and camp at that site. They introduce 12v fans to circulate air for them and ni issue.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #5

I have 4 of the BattleBorn 100-Ahr batteries. With Lithium batteries you have to be careful of 2 things: (1) storing/using them at high temps (135* and above), and (2) charging them at low temps (25* and below). Using/discharging them at low temps seems to be OK. Here is the manual for my batteries: BattleBorn user manual

I live in central coast of CA, so lowest temp I've seen is high 30's. But we have seen some high temps! Last summer there was a heat wave which got up to 117*. Used the batteries at that time to run the air conditioner. No problems. Though, I should say that I have my batteries mounted inside the trailer (under the couch) so they don't see the wilder temp extremes as outside the trailer.

Also, the BattleBorn batteries have a temps sensor in the built-in battery management system. So, the batteries will shut themselves off if the temps are out of range, etc., to protect themselves.
SLOArmada is offline   Reply With Quote