Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #21

I rekey my door locks and changed the other locks with combi locks. I no longer look like a janitor when camping. No problem, even with to many Corona beers... lol
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
So wouldn't it make more sense to not have a lock at all on the outside shower and just go with a latch? If they can be broken into so easily, I'd vote for having something that would sustain the least amount of damage and subsequently, money, if someone decides to break into it. And we've never had to worry about anyone tampering with our water, jacks, etc. when we're camping. I'm not going to say we're lucky, just have never heard of it in our part of the country.
Ok, I am going to try to answer your question, to add a lock to the shower compartment seems to be a waste of money because there is really noting there of any value, however since the lock is there and you secure it then you know it will not be open by accident and left flapping in the wind while towing.

Another reason for some of these locks is because of insurance reasons, if someone breaks in or makes an attemp to and fails damages and or loss would be covered under your insurance because of forced entery. A lock slows down the process and the criminal now has to start making nois to get the lock open....Locks are only for honest people.

I as well have never had a problem with this kind of issue, but I changed my compartment locks because I know they are all keyed the same, as a matter of fact the CH-751 key will open our flamable cabinet at work and that is the key that was issued for the cabinet. Most of the break ins occur when the RV's are in storage from what I understand and there has been a few members here on this forum that has reported this kind thing that has happen to them. Don't let your guard down, if it has a lock then lock it.

The shower compartment is not a big deal, but it is just one of those little things that could make you stop and think "Why Is That On There".
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #23

I replaced all mine with the round barrel keyed kind. I also did the tool box on my TV the same key so I only have to have one key on my ring for all the compartments and tool box. You can get those at most hardware stores for good price.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #24

I took mine out-all outside compartments inculding the outdoor shower-and took them to a locksmith. For $5.00 a lock he rekeyed them and made three new keys for me. They work great -and no one has the same key as me.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote