Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #1

Question Looking for Emergency Window Mod

The lever for the window in our queen bed slide drives me bonkers. It is the red lever that you push out to open the window about 6 inches. It has a grove in the red part that allows you to prop the window open, or you can remove the screen and push the lever all the way through in order to open the window fully. I like to sleep with the window open, but every time I roll over or move, it knocks the lever out of it's spot and causes the window to slam shut and the lever to poke me in the side. I came across a mod that someone had done on this a long time ago, but now I cannot find this mod anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions as to how I can get this window to stay open better without compromising the "emergency exit" capabilities? I also want to be able to close it from the inside if I get too cold at night.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

On our Roo 19 the lever is at the exact height of the table

You have to move the table out to open it and if anyone bumps the table toward the window... well you already know what happens.

I am going to push the lever in until it is flush on the inside, and then drill an ~1/8" hole down through the pocket and lever tip so I can insert a nail or pin to hold it open.

I am also thinking about a small rubber flap of some sort to keep the skeeters out
Old 05-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about the Roo, but assuming it's the same standard e-exit like the ones in my Flagstaff, you should be able to fix this with a toothpick.

Just prop the window open, and when it sits in that groove you mentioned it drops down slightly. Just jam a toothpick or two (or any other handy shim you've got around) into the opening on top. Now the shim will prevent the lever from lifting up and allowing it to clear the groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Those are 2 nice, easy fixes! Can't believe I didn't think of either of them.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Looking for Emergency Window Mod

What about drilling a hole and pinning the handle to the catch from the top side with a bolt?

I don't have the issue but that what I would probably end up doing.

[just saw the same idea posted above--yeah what he said]

'16 Cherokee 274DBH
'16 F150 XLT Crew 3.5eco
Michael4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

The only bad thing I can think of about pinning, or shimming it to stay in place is that it won't pop loose and close itself if a gust of wind catches it. But that could be a good thing as well depending on which way the wind is trying to move it.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #7

I popped an old cloths pip apart,cut it shorter and use the handle as a wedge between the lever and the frame. Hate it slaming closed all the time.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications