Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #1

Question Looking for Water Hose Water Meter

I have a black tank flush system on my 2010 Ultra Lite and thought it would be nice to have some device that would go on my garden hose and tell me when I'm nearing my capacity before pulling the flush valve. This would eliminate the need to run into the trailer every 5 min and press the button to see how full we are.

Is there such a device available that isn't overpriced? Let me know.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No device I can think of, and besides, it wouldn't tell you black or gray, so you would still have to check. Our tanks are fairly small, and we can make a 4 day week-end with only one dump of the black tank. Two showers and other stuff will fill up our gray tank. Just check the gray tank before a shower. You'll get used to what you and the family use, and will quit being paranoid. Just make sure you don't empty the tanks without them being over 2/3 full.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

I think the OP is wondering about monitoring the filling of the black water tank when he is using the flush system hookup to clean the black water tank.

Is this what you are looking for?

Watermeter

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
No device I can think of, and besides, it wouldn't tell you black or gray, so you would still have to check. Our tanks are fairly small, and we can make a 4 day week-end with only one dump of the black tank. Two showers and other stuff will fill up our gray tank. Just check the gray tank before a shower. You'll get used to what you and the family use, and will quit being paranoid. Just make sure you don't empty the tanks without them being over 2/3 full.

Windrider, Think you’re missing what EastlakeRoo was asking.

EastlakeRoo,
You can look in Lowes or Home Depot garden section for an inexpensive flowerbed watering timer.
Some are digital & others will just be a simple mechanical timers.

I use the latter on my garden. Cost $15.
You would have to watch it the first time or two & then you would know right where to set it so it would turn off just before your tank is full.

Mechanical Water Timer - 3010V at The Home Depot
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

However, IMHO I wouldn’t use the blk tank flush system to completely fill the tank. That wouldn't serve any benefit & may actually cause damage.

Inside the tank is a rotating wand like in a dishwasher.
Water under pressure comes out & is supposed to knock stuff off the walls of the tank.

By filling the tank you could be impeding the movement of the wand & damage it. Maybe.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
I have a black tank flush system on my 2010 Ultra Lite and thought it would be nice to have some device that would go on my garden hose and tell me when I'm nearing my capacity before pulling the flush valve. This would eliminate the need to run into the trailer every 5 min and press the button to see how full we are.

Is there such a device available that isn't overpriced? Let me know.
Actually, the instructions on most tank rinses state:

1. Empty sewer tank as normal. Leave drain valve open.
2. With garden hose attached, flush tank for about 2 minutes or until water runs clear from discharge hose.

Of course, I close the drain valve a while(as you do) in hopes of un-sticking particles from the tank wall.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

milzat, that is exactly what I have been doing. no big deal but I thought it would be nice to install a watermeter mentioned earlier to possibly fill the tank 1/2 way then open it up. The problem I have with the water timer is that sometimes the water pressure is greater in some campgrounds and in some cases I may think I'm only putting in 10 gallons when I could be putting in more than what I wanted and vice versa for those campgrounds having lower pressure. Anyway, I think I found the device I'm looking for. WATER USAGE METER from Taylor Gifts This device measures out how many gallons your pumping into your tank and allows you to reset it after done. I like the price too.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote