Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Looking to add a power jack

I am looking to add a power jack. a few questions regarding them:
1) from what I can tell the Lippert jacks are not good, Barker VIP is highly recommended from other forum posts. What about the other jack manufacturers, any to stay away from?
2) Seems like there are two sizes 2" and 2 1/4" is there a simple way to know which sizing I need?
3) the equation seems to be 3x the toungue weight as far as the power of the motor of the jack. Are their any negatives to getting too large of one?
4) anyone have any battery issues after adding the power jack?
5) any other recommendations or lessons of the road concerning power jacks?

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

I have the Barker 3500, Love it. Unbeatable Customer Service
Measure old one for size. Buy the largest you can afford because you can always switch it to larger TT if you trade up. As far as battery issues I haven't had any. but then as soon as you plug into shore power converter will keep battery up. I've seen bad reviews on Odyssey Jacks
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

I also have a Barker jack, 3000# VIP. After a year out of warranty my power switch went out. I called their Customer Service line explained my problem,and by the time I hung up the phone ,I had a new power switch on the way for $12.00, along with 2 new Limit switches "just to be safe" at no charge. I received them 2 days later. Couldn't ask for better service from a company.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

We use the Husky and like it, works good, quiet, and no problems

Amazon.com: Husky 87247 4500 lbs. Brute Power Jack: Automotive
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

The electric tounge jack it an upgrade I wouldn't be without. I bought a refurb on ebay. From day one the motor didn't sound quite right compared to others I have had. It lasted about a year and quit on me. Personally I won't buy another refurb and will buy the best one I can afford.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I bought a refurb on ebay. From day one the motor didn't sound quite right compared to others I have had. It lasted about a year and quit on me.

Thanks for relaying an "unsuccessful" refurb purchase. I was worried about refurb but thought about going that way seeing how many people had success. What brand was your refurb?

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

It was an Ultra Fab. I am sure some people have had good luck with the refurbs. Like I said the one I got didn't sound right and was a little slow from the start. In hindsight I probably should have returned itit from the start. If I am ever in the market again I will probably buy new. Once you have had an electric you will wonder how you got buy without it. Definatley a must have in my opinion.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Team

i've had great service with my UF refurb unit.
have had it for 4 years now, with no problems. model 3500 unit with adjustable foot. cost me about $120 w/free shipping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My answers are in blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm901 View Post
I am looking to add a power jack. a few questions regarding them:
1) from what I can tell the Lippert jacks are not good, Barker VIP is highly recommended from other forum posts. What about the other jack manufacturers, any to stay away from? I can't say anything about the others. My original that came with the trailer was an LCI (black). It was replaced under warranty when it shredded its gears. I opted for a Barker 3500. Faster and quieter.
2) Seems like there are two sizes 2" and 2 1/4" is there a simple way to know which sizing I need? Measure the diameter of the hole in your trailer.
3) the equation seems to be 3x the toungue weight as far as the power of the motor of the jack. Are their any negatives to getting too large of one? No negatives if it fits (except for additional cost, of course)
4) anyone have any battery issues after adding the power jack? None. Its just another 12V motor. Power jacks should come with a manual crank if your battery dies in the middle of a trip.
5) any other recommendations or lessons of the road concerning power jacks? Don't raise it too high

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
WJC

Ultra Fab refurbished, had it for two years works great, can't go wrong for the price! Would buy another!
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #11

I am also looking to replace my tongue jack with a power one. My local CampingWorld store has a Odyssey on sale ($187.99). It comes with a crank (power failure) and a light to use when it is dark. I tried to do a search on this site to see if the Odyssey is good or bad. Didn't really find much. One person did say that they had heard Odyssey had a bad review. But that was the only comment, nothing specific. That was the only comment I found.

Most people like the Barker unit. Some have had success with a refurb.

Has anyone else heard anything about the power Odyssey tongue jacks? I would love to hear there comments.

My current manual crank jack is rated 2000 pounds. I am looking at the Odyssey 3000 pound jack (that ones on sale).

It would be going on my 2005 Cherokee 27L. Not sure what size hole I have. Camping World could probably help me find the right size.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Kjoh75,
You will love the power jack vs your manual. Its a great addition.

The Ultra Fab Odyssey is a good jack from owner reviews that I have read. Some have had to replace after a couple of years while most seem happy. There really aren't any secrets to building an electric jack but I stay away from the really cheap no-name brands. Those often strip their gears. Good brands are Barker, Atwood, Ultra Fab. I really like my Barker that I upgraded to when replacing the stock LCI (Not no-name but known to fail prematurely).

You can buy the Odyssey for much less $$ than at CW right now. I've seen it for $125 If you want to install yourself. Its a simple process.

Other thoughts: It's head looks pretty big so make sure it fits. It has 18" of travel - Some people want longer but those can be tall.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #13

Thanks I will check into it
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #14

When shoping for a elec.jack think about the size & shape of the head unit. If you want to put the tailgate down on a P/U truck the head is somtimes in the way. Yes, you can use a Longer shank but that puts more leverage on the T/V hitch. I have even turned the heads or whole jack around so we can use the tailgate when hooked up to the trailer. Its up to your needs. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #15

Anyone with a Buyers? Picked one up today for $125 + tax. 3500lb. Thought I would give it a try. Looks to be a decent piece. Says it has hardened gears.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #16

I have the Odyssey 3500 lb and love it. Moves fast and no strain. Have had it for two years and no problem
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #17

Barker VIP 3000# here. Got it from an Ebayer shipped for about $190 shipped. Read lots of reviews and didn't see a bad one. Nice looking unit, easy install, works great. Only had it a little while, though.