Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Lowering HTT to fit in 10 foot door?

I am about to order a 23ikss which has a height of 9 foot 7 without A/C. I will probably go with the low clearance A/C with is about 9 inches so will theoretically end up with a unit that is about 10'6" high. My barn has a 10' overhead door with a 9' 8" clearance under the open door. Interior height once the door is lowered is 10'.

My question... is there any way to lower this trailer about 8 inches to get it into my barn for winter storage? I have heard about people letting air out of tires but don't think that is a good option for me since I would then not be able to re-fill them. I have a set of car dolly's and thought to perhaps get some cheap rims, remove the wheels altogether and drop the trailed onto the dollies and push it in on the dolly casters. Anyone ever try something like this?

Also thought about looking for some electric gizmo that could lover the A/C into the interior. I have seen such lifts in offices that lower a projector from the ceiling. Probably a bit pricey but considering the live extension of the TT by storing indoors during an Ohio winter it might be worth it.

Any experience or ideas from anyone would be welcome.

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Done with this

Have a dirt floor in the barn? Dig it out...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
I am about to order a 23ikss which has a height of 9 foot 7 without A/C. I will probably go with the low clearance A/C with is about 9 inches so will theoretically end up with a unit that is about 10'6" high. My barn has a 10' overhead door with a 9' 8" clearance under the open door. Interior height once the door is lowered is 10'.

My question... is there any way to lower this trailer about 8 inches to get it into my barn for winter storage? I have heard about people letting air out of tires but don't think that is a good option for me since I would then not be able to re-fill them. I have a set of car dolly's and thought to perhaps get some cheap rims, remove the wheels altogether and drop the trailed onto the dollies and push it in on the dolly casters. Anyone ever try something like this?

Also thought about looking for some electric gizmo that could lover the A/C into the interior. I have seen such lifts in offices that lower a projector from the ceiling. Probably a bit pricey but considering the live extension of the TT by storing indoors during an Ohio winter it might be worth it.

Any experience or ideas from anyone would be welcome.

Thanks,
Welcome to FRF from SW Idaho.

For a short time I worked in a transmission shop that had four bays but only two doors so we used dollies to move the rigs around so I know it is doable.

Have you looked into raising the door header and installing a taller door because over all I think that would be the cheaper and better option.

As for lowering the A.C into the trailer, it would likely leak like a sponge.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Followup info.

Thanks for the replies.

The floor is concrete so no digging option and the interior is the same height as the header so no expansion other than raising the whole roof which on a 36x36 barn would be way too expensive. (If I would have built the barn it would have 12ft height at least).

I have the dollies for moving around classic cars that I own so moving it is not a huge issue other than getting over the 1" concrete threshold into the space. Just not sure if I will save enough height even sitting on just rims.

Another idea. Can I take off the wheels and set it down on the brake drums in the dollies? After I get it in I might be able to raise it up a bit and put jack stands under the axles. Not sure if it would hurt the brake drums.

Final idea of course is just plan on leaving it outside covered but I tend to exhaust all the mod ideas before going with the obvious solution
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Take down the (Overhead) and put in a (Slider)? Youroo!! You said (Inside Height is 10')
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter13 022.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	68310  
Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Take down the (Overhead) and put in a (Slider)? Youroo!! You said (Inside Height is 10')
Still not enough...he says he needs 10.6'.

I guess you'll have to resign yourself at letting your unit sleep outside for winter...I know...that sucks!!!
OR
Buy a unit without the a/c...wich still is not the best of ideas for resale value later on.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Old boat trailers used to run those tires that looked like they came from a golf cart. Maybe you could swap something like that on for the sole purpose of storing it inside.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

if lowering your unit off the wheels will bring it down far enough, but you are concerned about lowering unit on the breaks make a cradle out of wood 2x4/6s and block it up on the axels. so it just comes down on the breaks, but the entire weight is not on them. you don't want to go cutting a hole in your roof to lower the AC that can lead to leaks and more problems in the future.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

Go south for the winter
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
AWS

I believe Dale Carol might be close to a solution. In Arizona there are POD movers that lift and move POD storage containers. If the dimension from the lowest point after the wheels were removed to the top of the AC unit is less than the height of the lowest opening it might be possible using a similar POD mover.

If not, you need a barn door stretcher not yet designed.

Tags
door