Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #141

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
This has been a greatly informative thread, and I will probably join the "owners club" soon. I am coming late to the topic but wanted to throw out a word of caution. Please always remember when using backup monitors on tall vehicles that the cams (usually) do not show overhead obstacles.

I recently learned that a US company with about 100,000 delivery "trucks" had added backup cameras to their fleet a few years ago. After adding these back-up monitors their backing accidents actually increased due to drivers having the additional confidence the cameras provided and then forgetting to watch their overhead clearance.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #142

Just picked one up on ebay for $65. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I'm thinking about also using it at the lake between the dock and the house and to monitor our newest grandson who will be here in February.

2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #143

Received mine yesterday.Been playing with it in the house and shop.I do have a couple questions.Has anyone figured out how to reverse the image?By the way it does work great.Now I need to figure out the power and a water proof case for the camera. My second question has anyone done the battery power?If so how long did the Duracels last?
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #144
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Received mine yesterday.Been playing with it in the house and shop.I do have a couple questions.Has anyone figured out how to reverse the image?By the way it does work great.Now I need to figure out the power and a water proof case for the camera. My second question has anyone done the battery power?If so how long did the Duracels last?
Biscuit took an ingenious low tech approach to it in this post about the reverse image:

Made a wireless backup camera system cheaply

I think there is a post here somewhere that does tell battery life, but I don't recall it off the top of my head.

Here is where I made a 12 to 5 volt DC volt power cord for the camera, if that gives you any ideas. Just remember that the camera operates off of 5 volts DC, and not 12 volts....so you can't just wire it directly into your RV's 12 volt system without some kind of way to reduce the voltage down:

Made a wireless backup camera system cheaply

Please let us all know if you are able to design a case and such. It's all about sharing the wisdom.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #145

Messed around a little with ours the other day.Range seems to be fantastic. Set it on the tool box on the back of the 5 er and was able to see clearly setting across the street in my neighbors drive. Be glad when I have time to figure out the wiring and finding a cover for the camera.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #146

Wiring was pretty easy to figure out.Case and mount not so much.Has anyone came up with a good case for this camera?TIA
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #147

Just got one for my birthday...looking forward to getting it installed ahead of camping seasson (too cold up here for me to do it now).

2004 Grand Surveyor by Forest River
26 ft. with Sofa Slide purchased in 2013
Upgrade from 2004 8 ft. Flagstaff by Forest River
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #148

I totally agree with that....well done
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #149

Glad I found this thread and very tempted to get a unit now. I have the same problem though that the rear of my hybrid doesn't have a window so a good mount would be necessary. I'd like to use it while driving to see what's behind me and to aid in backing up since I'm a noob lol.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Glad I found this thread and very tempted to get a unit now. I have the same problem though that the rear of my hybrid doesn't have a window so a good mount would be necessary. I'd like to use it while driving to see what's behind me and to aid in backing up since I'm a noob lol.
I have a Rockwood A122 (highwalled popup). This would be nice to see behind me, as you said.

Does anyone know if this little camera would hold up to the bouncing on the road? Would the wireless reach to the car?

I wounder how a plexiglass box would work? Like the ones that hold a baseball? I visualize the whole thing bouncing off the bumper after a long, bouncy drive.