Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Just read one review over on Amazon that pointed out that the night vision doesn't work thru a window. Just FYI...
I can vouch that it does not. While playing with the camera here at home I had it watching my driveway from the upstairs window and at night you get reflections from the IR LED's off the windows.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
I note that this wireless system operates on the same frequency as most wifi routers (2.4 GHz). GE makes a similar product that they say is "wifi friendly" (different frequency). Do any of you that have this also have wifi at home( or in your rig), and if so, have you seen any interference problems?
Have wifi in the house and all seems to operate well. The picture is very clear and doesn't appear to have any interference.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
itch'n to road trip

Wireless works on wifi? Really? We have a ipad mini... wonder of we could find a wireless camera that would interface with it and use the ipad as a moniter? Ideas? I like this!

Helmsey.. I get the same from my hubby! and YES it IS another camping gadget we need!
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Wireless works on wifi? Really? We have a ipad mini... wonder of we could find a wireless camera that would interface with it and use the ipad as a moniter? Ideas? I like this!

Helmsey.. I get the same from my hubby! and YES it IS another camping gadget we need!
No. They operate on the same frequency, 2.4Ghz. That does not mean the signals are "compatible" only that they have the potential to mess with each other. It like two radio stations on the same frequency. The stronger of the two will "win" messing up the weaker one.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Coderider is correct.

Think of the frequency as highway with a lot of different cars and trucks on it.

Only certain ones will fit in your garage...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Just read one review over on Amazon that pointed out that the night vision doesn't work thru a window. Just FYI...
I don't know of many infrared camera illuminators that don't reflect back off of glass. It's the same as using the flash on your photo camera when taking a picture of something behind glass. You're going to get the reflection of the light flash.

We cannot use any security cameras at our shop, that have IR illuminators built into them, and put them in our sealed outdoor camera housings, because they will reflect back off of the glass in the housing.

However, this camera I bought, which has built-in IR illuminators, will work great when hooking your trailer up in the dark or low light conditions....so you can see your hitch while backing up. It's not being used to see thru a window at night.

I took some more video of this and will post it this evening.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Bobby, have to tried the camera inside of the camper ?? I am interested in setting it up inside the camper looking out the back window while I am underway.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #28

Considered a Back-up Camera

Did not want to install wired and very concerned with the Blue-Tooth interference.

Already have a laptop and usb web cam, so placed the laptop on the trucks console, clipped the camera to the license plate frame and connected to the laptop with a usb extension cable which runs along the bed cap.

The hook-up was quick. There was an issue with left/right orientation, though will solve it by flipping the camera upside down. Sometimes us Techs miss the obvious.

I purchased a wireless camera with night-vision and plan to setup at the horse campground so my wife can monitor her horse from inside the TT (on the big screen or laptop). She is just a little paranoid, though horse has been known to get loose and walk-around to visit other horses and steal their food. Imagine a 1200 lb. two-year old child.

The wireless camera and router equipment technology is vastly improved while the prices have dropped. The camera package allows you to logon from any internet browser and connect to the camera. I tried it from work and while on vacation. We checked on our sleeping cats at home. The system has a microphone and allows the connection of speakers for two way monitoring. This allows my wife to yell at the horse, remotely.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bobby, have to tried the camera inside of the camper ?? I am interested in setting it up inside the camper looking out the back window while I am underway.
Chap, I haven't done that yet. I will try it out soon, and let you know how that part works.

The thing I needed the system most was for hooking up the trailer to the truck...and backing the camper into the spot.... stopping where I wanted to.

There are a couple of state campgrounds I frequent that have treated posts laying at the rear of the spot. I like to stop the camper when my rear stabilizers are over the post, so I can use the post to lower the stabilizers onto. It's always been a pain trying to back the trailer in...stopping to get out and go look several times. Now I can just stick the camera under the trailer to see the stabilizers and post while backing in.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #30

Seems like everyone is looking for a wireless solution for the most part but I went a different route because I had previously Installed an after market GPS/DVD/STEREO in my truck.

I installed an Audiovox rear view camera in the tailgate for hooking up to bumper pulls, another one just under the reverse/brake light on roof of truck for my gooseneck and 5th and yet another on the back of my 5th. I use the "line-in" RCA connection of the head unit to display whichever camera I want at the time. I power all off of the fog lights in the truck so they only have power when the fogs are on. I have also installed in the cab a small composite switch that has 4 inputs (this unit is 120AC so I run it off a plug-in inverter). I just have to push the button to select the camera I want at any time.

It's really nice to be running down the road and be able to glance over and see what's sneaking up behind me or better yet, what's about to fall off the 5er! Even better when I get to the CG and just switch cameras and back in/hook-up, etc. It's a little more work initially but it really works well, and it's weatherproof.

Just another thing to think about especially if you already have the head unit.