Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle01 View Post
The shade on my back window had enough slack in it to clear the mount and camera. I plan to travel with the shade down. As far as the cigarette lighter charge, I assume it would work if you find the right one.
I bought a second camera and plan on sitting one on each side of the bumper when backing into a site. Might have to put a Velcro patch on the bumper to make sure they don't fall off. DW suggested Velcroing the monitor to the backside of the visor and just flipping it down when needed. Might just try it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Got another question will the monitor charge off one of those mini usb cigarette lighter plugs?
Based on the fact that the charge light doesn't come on when the mini-USB is plugged in, I'm going to say no.

See my post #50 for how to charge from a 12v accessory outlet. (By the way, I see iPhone car chargers for very cheap prices at lots of stores.)

As for the window shade, in my case, with the camera at the bottom of the window, there is not much slack in the shade strings. The shade fits over the camera itself with no problem at all, but I end up leaving the shade open about an inch to accommodate the camera base.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Based on the fact that the charge light doesn't come on when the mini-USB is plugged in, I'm going to say no.

See my post #50 for how to charge from a 12v accessory outlet. (By the way, I see iPhone car chargers for very cheap prices at lots of stores.)

As for the window shade, in my case, with the camera at the bottom of the window, there is not much slack in the shade strings. The shade fits over the camera itself with no problem at all, but I end up leaving the shade open about an inch to accommodate the camera base.
Thanks for the replies. I think I will just get a Iphone charger then. I will check out your post. I have decided that since I only really want to use this camera for backing my 5ver into my Pole Barn (it is a little tricky) and the occasional back in RV site (I always try to get pull through's ) that I may just use Velcro and put it back there when it is needed.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #84

Just ordered this 140.00 from ebay shipped thanks for sharing no more silly yellow tennis balls on the ends of telescopic rods
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
no more silly yellow tennis balls on the ends of telescopic rods
Been there, done that.

As stated previously, I find it easier when I have the camera attached to the tailgate, aiming down at the hitch....to turn the monitor upside down. That makes it easier to know which way to turn the truck when aligning the ball under the trailer coupling.

I've already used mine twice today, hooking up tire trailers here at the shop.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #86

Got to use mine now for a few weeks - for all sorts of things!

In the house window it will come on and beep (at the monitory) and anyone comes in the driveway - handy for deliveries, kids coming home from school, etc.

Used on the cargo trailer and today on the camper (took it to get inspected) and works FANTASTICALLY! Lots of range, reception wise. Used a bungy to hold it to the rack on the back of the trailer. Then I set on the sidewalk to align the back of the tt with the hose connection to flush out the water lines. One shot and done!

I can back up with a LOT more confidence as I can easily see if anything (or anyone) is back there - no guessing, hoping, praying!

and the mic bit works well too - if you have a helper back there you can easily hear them talking, giving directions and well, critiquing...ok, so nothing's perfect! LOL

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #87

Solved the problem of the reverse view by mounting the monitor so I view it in my rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040001.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	29585  
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Solved the problem of the reverse view by mounting the monitor so I view it in my rear view mirror.
Cool idea! You can't really use that mirror for
much else when you're towing.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #89
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #90

Very nice. How is it in the dark?
lundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #91

I have the camera mounted in the back window of the trailer so it doesn't
work at night due to the reflection of the red night lights on the glass.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #92
Site Team

It also works to aim satellite

I found another use for this camera system over the weekend. My brother was wanting me to show him how to aim his portable direct tv satellite dish when he was staying in his toy hauler. I was showing him the easy way was to just use the signal meter/audible tone from the receiver.

He was staying in a local RV park to test his camper, and didn't want to disturb his neighbors too much with the sound turned way up so we could hear it outside and behind his camper.. I had one of those a-ha moments and got the camera system out of my truck.

We just set the camera inside, aimed at the television screen in order to see/hear the signal meter..........then went outside and aimed the dish, while looking/listening to the camera monitor. Took less than a minute to get 95+ on the signals.

Just passing along the info.

BTW, he called the next day and said he had bought one of these cameras. He is going to install his in the toy hauler compartment to be able to watch his bikes when he travels.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #93
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
...We just set the camera inside, aimed at the television screen in order to see/hear the signal meter..........then went outside and aimed the dish, while looking/listening to the camera monitor. Took less than a minute to get 95+ on the signals...
Fantastic idea for those that don't have a signal meter.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #94

I just seen this thread something I must put on my list of must haves thankyou
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #95

I had a situation that this camera worked out well this past weekend. Its actually a situation the system is designed for. We had another couple with us that has young kids and it was later in the evening we were sitting around the fire and the mother comes and sits down without her husband and says he was staying to sit with the sleeping children and they were gonna take turns. It took me a few minutes but then I said wait a minute lol. They fell in love with it the night vision worked great as the kids slept in the dark and they watched from 3 campsites over in confidence. Needless to say he ordered one.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
I had a situation that this camera worked out well this past weekend. Its actually a situation the system is designed for. We had another couple with us that has young kids and it was later in the evening we were sitting around the fire and the mother comes and sits down without her husband and says he was staying to sit with the sleeping children and they were gonna take turns. It took me a few minutes but then I said wait a minute lol. They fell in love with it the night vision worked great as the kids slept in the dark and they watched from 3 campsites over in confidence. Needless to say he ordered one.
Excellent.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #97

Got to have one! Don't know how I missed this post before now?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #98
Mod free 5er

Papasmurf here you go. I got an extra camera, put one on each side.
GE Wireless Color Digital Home Monitoring Kit Camera w 3 5" LCD DVR 45255 New | eBay
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseyHauler View Post
The hook-up was quick. There was an issue with left/right orientation, though will solve it by flipping the camera upside down. Sometimes us Techs miss the obvious.
I didn't read through all of the posts yet, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you're running windows on your laptop try this trick. While holding down control and alt, tap the down arrow button. Unless it's deactivated on your laptop your picture should now be upside down. Now you don't have to flip your laptop.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #100

That's a great idea, I usually just turn the volume up on the TV, since I have a hybrid with the canvas front, I don't have to turn it up very loud to hear it when I'm outside. I actually have a baby monitor system already that I use as a backup camera on the trailer, now it has a new use.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote