Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #141

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
This has been a greatly informative thread, and I will probably join the "owners club" soon. I am coming late to the topic but wanted to throw out a word of caution. Please always remember when using backup monitors on tall vehicles that the cams (usually) do not show overhead obstacles.

I recently learned that a US company with about 100,000 delivery "trucks" had added backup cameras to their fleet a few years ago. After adding these back-up monitors their backing accidents actually increased due to drivers having the additional confidence the cameras provided and then forgetting to watch their overhead clearance.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #142

Just picked one up on ebay for $65. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I'm thinking about also using it at the lake between the dock and the house and to monitor our newest grandson who will be here in February.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #143

Received mine yesterday.Been playing with it in the house and shop.I do have a couple questions.Has anyone figured out how to reverse the image?By the way it does work great.Now I need to figure out the power and a water proof case for the camera. My second question has anyone done the battery power?If so how long did the Duracels last?
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #144
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Received mine yesterday.Been playing with it in the house and shop.I do have a couple questions.Has anyone figured out how to reverse the image?By the way it does work great.Now I need to figure out the power and a water proof case for the camera. My second question has anyone done the battery power?If so how long did the Duracels last?
Biscuit took an ingenious low tech approach to it in this post about the reverse image:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post367607

I think there is a post here somewhere that does tell battery life, but I don't recall it off the top of my head.

Here is where I made a 12 to 5 volt DC volt power cord for the camera, if that gives you any ideas. Just remember that the camera operates off of 5 volts DC, and not 12 volts....so you can't just wire it directly into your RV's 12 volt system without some kind of way to reduce the voltage down:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post402119

Please let us all know if you are able to design a case and such. It's all about sharing the wisdom.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #145

Messed around a little with ours the other day.Range seems to be fantastic. Set it on the tool box on the back of the 5 er and was able to see clearly setting across the street in my neighbors drive. Be glad when I have time to figure out the wiring and finding a cover for the camera.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #146

Wiring was pretty easy to figure out.Case and mount not so much.Has anyone came up with a good case for this camera?TIA
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #147

Just got one for my birthday...looking forward to getting it installed ahead of camping seasson (too cold up here for me to do it now).

2004 Grand Surveyor by Forest River
26 ft. with Sofa Slide purchased in 2013
Upgrade from 2004 8 ft. Flagstaff by Forest River
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #148

I totally agree with that....well done
zirarzirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #149

Glad I found this thread and very tempted to get a unit now. I have the same problem though that the rear of my hybrid doesn't have a window so a good mount would be necessary. I'd like to use it while driving to see what's behind me and to aid in backing up since I'm a noob lol.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Glad I found this thread and very tempted to get a unit now. I have the same problem though that the rear of my hybrid doesn't have a window so a good mount would be necessary. I'd like to use it while driving to see what's behind me and to aid in backing up since I'm a noob lol.
I have a Rockwood A122 (highwalled popup). This would be nice to see behind me, as you said.

Does anyone know if this little camera would hold up to the bouncing on the road? Would the wireless reach to the car?

I wounder how a plexiglass box would work? Like the ones that hold a baseball? I visualize the whole thing bouncing off the bumper after a long, bouncy drive.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #151
Site Team

ATTENTION: The site team has moved all posts about the Yada wireless camera into it's own thread to keep from creating confusion.

You can find it here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tco-75846.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #152

Question about battery power for this system

Hello friends. Sorry to resurrect an old thread with my first post. I'm the proud owner of a new 2016 FR 32BHDS. I have purchased one of these camera systems (incredibly cheap now &#128522 and wondered if anyone has attempted to power the camera from one of those portable external USB power supplies that are now so readily available. I'm sure it would require a splice of the power cable to the usb male end of a cell phone charging cable, as described in some of the posts in this thread.
If not, I may try. Thanks!
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #153

Answered my own question... Took a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up the magnetic parts tray when I remembered... I have an emergency jump starter from Harbor Freight with a 12v outlet built in that will supply power to the camera for up to 20hrs. By the way, the jump starter cost $50. If you are especially challenged/scared of messing up electrically like me, pick up the inverter at HF for $20 and plug the camera in using the supplied power cable.

DONE!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #154
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Answered my own question... Took a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up the magnetic parts tray when I remembered... I have an emergency jump starter from Harbor Freight with a 12v outlet built in that will supply power to the camera for up to 20hrs. By the way, the jump starter cost $50. If you are especially challenged/scared of messing up electrically like me, pick up the inverter at HF for $20 and plug the camera in using the supplied power cable.

DONE!
Good deal. Please, Let us know if the camera/monitor works out well for you. It has for me.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #155

Wonder if I could somehow mount this into the pre-installed Furrion camera mount on my 5er.
The Furrion system seems so overpriced.

My Truck already has a backup camera, with 8" screen, so my other option is to splice something into that, without using a separate screen
Old 09-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #156

Probably Not

Given that this camera is not waterproof, it is not a good choice for permanent mounting outside the trailer. Part of what makes this system so appealing is the fact that it can be moved around easily. Perhaps another camera meant for outdoor use would work with your mount. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #157

I didn't read all the posts..........But if u own a gopro and an ipad, you can mount the gopro on the back and use the ipad to watch. It's all done wireless!!!!!

Problems would be you would have to turn the gopro on manually before you back up.

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Wonder if I could somehow mount this into the pre-installed Furrion camera mount on my 5er.

The Furrion system seems so overpriced.

My Truck already has a backup camera, with 8" screen, so my other option is to splice something into that, without using a separate screen

Ram truck?

I installed a system from customtronix. They are from Europe.
It is a harness and software.
It unlocks the navigation while in motion. I also added a front camera, mounted in my grill.
They also have another video input.
Very nice system.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #159
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
That would be great for watching stuff on the cargo rack !

TURBS
Or trailer hooked to the Crusader! HeHe
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Ram truck?

I installed a system from customtronix. They are from Europe.
It is a harness and software.
It unlocks the navigation while in motion. I also added a front camera, mounted in my grill.
They also have another video input.
Very nice system.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Nope, 2016 F250
The main 8" screen is hooked up to the backup camera in the tailgate.

There's also a composite video+ audio input in the dash storage box, but to use that I'd have to disable the backup camera (a couple of menu navigation presses).
I'd also like to use the camera while driving for checking clearance on lane changes, but I can't have the video input on while using the radio/audio since it'll try to play audio from that a/v input instead when it's selected
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote