Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Just read one review over on Amazon that pointed out that the night vision doesn't work thru a window. Just FYI...
I can vouch that it does not. While playing with the camera here at home I had it watching my driveway from the upstairs window and at night you get reflections from the IR LED's off the windows.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
I note that this wireless system operates on the same frequency as most wifi routers (2.4 GHz). GE makes a similar product that they say is "wifi friendly" (different frequency). Do any of you that have this also have wifi at home( or in your rig), and if so, have you seen any interference problems?
Have wifi in the house and all seems to operate well. The picture is very clear and doesn't appear to have any interference.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Wireless works on wifi? Really? We have a ipad mini... wonder of we could find a wireless camera that would interface with it and use the ipad as a moniter? Ideas? I like this!

Helmsey.. I get the same from my hubby! and YES it IS another camping gadget we need!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Wireless works on wifi? Really? We have a ipad mini... wonder of we could find a wireless camera that would interface with it and use the ipad as a moniter? Ideas? I like this!

Helmsey.. I get the same from my hubby! and YES it IS another camping gadget we need!
No. They operate on the same frequency, 2.4Ghz. That does not mean the signals are "compatible" only that they have the potential to mess with each other. It like two radio stations on the same frequency. The stronger of the two will "win" messing up the weaker one.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Coderider is correct.

Think of the frequency as highway with a lot of different cars and trucks on it.

Only certain ones will fit in your garage...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Just read one review over on Amazon that pointed out that the night vision doesn't work thru a window. Just FYI...
I don't know of many infrared camera illuminators that don't reflect back off of glass. It's the same as using the flash on your photo camera when taking a picture of something behind glass. You're going to get the reflection of the light flash.

We cannot use any security cameras at our shop, that have IR illuminators built into them, and put them in our sealed outdoor camera housings, because they will reflect back off of the glass in the housing.

However, this camera I bought, which has built-in IR illuminators, will work great when hooking your trailer up in the dark or low light conditions....so you can see your hitch while backing up. It's not being used to see thru a window at night.

I took some more video of this and will post it this evening.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Bobby, have to tried the camera inside of the camper ?? I am interested in setting it up inside the camper looking out the back window while I am underway.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #28

Considered a Back-up Camera

Did not want to install wired and very concerned with the Blue-Tooth interference.

Already have a laptop and usb web cam, so placed the laptop on the trucks console, clipped the camera to the license plate frame and connected to the laptop with a usb extension cable which runs along the bed cap.

The hook-up was quick. There was an issue with left/right orientation, though will solve it by flipping the camera upside down. Sometimes us Techs miss the obvious.

I purchased a wireless camera with night-vision and plan to setup at the horse campground so my wife can monitor her horse from inside the TT (on the big screen or laptop). She is just a little paranoid, though horse has been known to get loose and walk-around to visit other horses and steal their food. Imagine a 1200 lb. two-year old child.

The wireless camera and router equipment technology is vastly improved while the prices have dropped. The camera package allows you to logon from any internet browser and connect to the camera. I tried it from work and while on vacation. We checked on our sleeping cats at home. The system has a microphone and allows the connection of speakers for two way monitoring. This allows my wife to yell at the horse, remotely.
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bobby, have to tried the camera inside of the camper ?? I am interested in setting it up inside the camper looking out the back window while I am underway.
Chap, I haven't done that yet. I will try it out soon, and let you know how that part works.

The thing I needed the system most was for hooking up the trailer to the truck...and backing the camper into the spot.... stopping where I wanted to.

There are a couple of state campgrounds I frequent that have treated posts laying at the rear of the spot. I like to stop the camper when my rear stabilizers are over the post, so I can use the post to lower the stabilizers onto. It's always been a pain trying to back the trailer in...stopping to get out and go look several times. Now I can just stick the camera under the trailer to see the stabilizers and post while backing in.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #30

Seems like everyone is looking for a wireless solution for the most part but I went a different route because I had previously Installed an after market GPS/DVD/STEREO in my truck.

I installed an Audiovox rear view camera in the tailgate for hooking up to bumper pulls, another one just under the reverse/brake light on roof of truck for my gooseneck and 5th and yet another on the back of my 5th. I use the "line-in" RCA connection of the head unit to display whichever camera I want at the time. I power all off of the fog lights in the truck so they only have power when the fogs are on. I have also installed in the cab a small composite switch that has 4 inputs (this unit is 120AC so I run it off a plug-in inverter). I just have to push the button to select the camera I want at any time.

It's really nice to be running down the road and be able to glance over and see what's sneaking up behind me or better yet, what's about to fall off the 5er! Even better when I get to the CG and just switch cameras and back in/hook-up, etc. It's a little more work initially but it really works well, and it's weatherproof.

Just another thing to think about especially if you already have the head unit.
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #31

Not trying to change the subject as it seems like everyone is looking for a wireless solution. I tried that myself but battled interference something fierce. I then decided to go a different route because I had previously Installed an after market GPS/DVD/STEREO in my truck.

I installed an Audiovox rear view camera in the tailgate for hooking up to bumper pulls, another one just under the reverse/brake light on roof of truck for my gooseneck and 5th and yet another on the back of my 5th. I use the "line-in" RCA connection of the head unit to display whichever camera I want at the time. I power all off of the fog lights in the truck so they only have power when the fogs are on. I have also installed in the cab a small composite switch that has 4 inputs (this unit is 120AC so I run it off a plug-in inverter). I just have to push the button to select the camera I want at any time.

It's really nice to be running down the road and be able to glance over and see what's sneaking up behind me or better yet, what's about to fall off the 5er! Even better when I get to the CG and just switch cameras and back in/hook-up, etc. It's a little more work initially but it really works well, and it's weatherproof.

Just another thing to think about especially if you already have the head unit and especially if interference is an issue. Seems like a great wireless system though.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #32

What I meant to mention before is that I also tried a wireless camera system before (don't remember the brand) and had all kinds of interference problems. This wireless system seems pretty rock solid in that department though. I meant to edit the first post, sorry for the double post!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Chap, I am going camping this weekend and will try out what you asked. I'll let you know.

I went ahead and bought a second camera to go with this system.

Now my mind is racing, on maybe using some kind of suction cup mounting technique for the camera to the back window.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
Site Team

OK, here is what I got below. I used a gps mounting bracket with suction cup to attach the camera to the rear window, which held well.

The problem was, it rained big time that morning,so the rear window is wet, and isn't real clear. I think the wet window also added to the headlight glare from the other vehicles. You can really see the glare when the truck following me turns on their headlights.

Keep that in mind when judging the picture quality. I also lost some quality in the upload to youtube.

I had the sound on, which is what you are hearing. probably should of turned that off.

The distance between the recording monitor and the camera is estimated to be 45 feet.....which the signal is traveling thru the cab of the moving truck.... all the way thru the trailer.... to the rear window.

With the antenna up, I never lost video signal.

Anyhow, this should give everyone an idea how it works.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #35
Site Team

Here is another reason/use I wanted for a wireless camera. A couple of sites I frequent have a railroad tie at the back of the site. I like to park my rear stabilizers over these ties, and let the stabilizers down on them

This was always a trial and error thing, with me getting out several times to check. This time I just placed the camera on the edge/end of the tie, and was able to stop exactly where I wanted the first time.

Here is the screenshot I took of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizers.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	24247  

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

That is just too darn cool for words...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Bobby, that looks like it gonna work great, for any number of reasons. I gotta get 1 of those.

Thanks for posting !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #38

Nice mod and it serves during travelling and setting up at CG.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Bobby, that looks like it gonna work great, for any number of reasons. I gotta get 1 of those.

Thanks for posting !!
Your welcome, Chap. A couple of observations for those who may be interested in getting one.

1. A friend of mine here went to Wal-Mart to get one. There were none on the shelves, and they told him it was a seasonal item. However he wouldn't take no for an answer, as he had called the store with the item number beforehand and they told him they had it in stock. He finally got someone with a handheld SKU gun, who entered in the item number and it told them they had 2 left, but were in the back/storage. They went to the back of the store and got him one.

So my advice is to call ahead, and get them to verify they have them in the store, even though they may not be on the shelf. Have the item number inhand when you go.

2. I do not know how long the batteries will last in the camera, with it on all the time....as you would need for it to be if using it as a rear-view camera while traveling. I'm sure our electrical guru's here could figure out a way to tie it into the 12volt trailer wiring somehow........and this would be another mod.

The monitor, even though it has rechargeable batteries, could be plugged into a 12 volt DC/AC inverter (using the AC power cord provided with the system) if needed while traveling...so it wouldn't ever run out of power.

This is just an idea: If your trailer is equipped with a 12 volt accessory plug inside somewhere, you might could do the same easily. Just plug in a 12 volt DC/AC inverter, then plug in the provided 110 volt AC power cord to the camera. You may need an extension cord to reach from the inverter to the camera power cord, depending on how long the distance is for the accessory plug to where you mount the rear facing camera. I am not sure though if these 12 volt accessory plugs inside the trailer are hot when you are hooked up to your tow vehicle/trailer battery, and not plugged in thru the converter. Never tried one to see. Common sense would tell me they are, so they could be used while dry-camping.

3. Make sure to flip-up the antenna on the monitor. I tried it down and got some lapses in video. With it up, there were no lapses.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Your welcome, Chap. A couple of observations for those who may be interested in getting one.

1. A friend of mine here went to Wal-Mart to get one. There were none on the shelves, and they told him it was a seasonal item. However he wouldn't take no for an answer, as he had called the store with the item number beforehand and they told him they had it in stock. He finally got someone with a handheld SKU gun, who entered in the item number and it told them they had 2 left, but were in the back/storage. They went to the back of the store and got him one.

So my advice is to call ahead, and get them to verify they have them in the store, even though they may not be on the shelf. Have the item number inhand when you go.

2. I do not know how long the batteries will last in the camera, with it on all the time....as you would need for it to be if using it as a rear-view camera while traveling. I'm sure our electrical guru's here could figure out a way to tie it into the 12volt trailer wiring somehow........and this would be another mod.

The monitor, even though it has rechargeable batteries, could be plugged into a 12 volt DC/AC inverter (using the AC power cord provided with the system) if needed while traveling...so it wouldn't ever run out of power.

This is just an idea: If your trailer is equipped with a 12 volt accessory plug inside somewhere, you might could do the same easily. Just plug in a 12 volt DC/AC inverter, then plug in the provided 110 volt AC power cord to the camera. You may need an extension cord to reach from the inverter to the camera power cord, depending on how long the distance is for the accessory plug to where you mount the rear facing camera. I am not sure though if these 12 volt accessory plugs inside the trailer are hot when you are hooked up to your tow vehicle/trailer battery, and not plugged in thru the converter. Never tried one to see. Common sense would tell me they are, so they could be used while dry-camping.

3. Make sure to flip-up the antenna on the monitor. I tried it down and got some lapses in video. With it up, there were no lapses.
I did exactly as you said in number one above, called the store. They were back in the photo department and the lady I talked with had one stashed behind the counter for me when I got there.

The camera battery last about 6 hours when "keeping an eye on things" continuously. Had to test it out you know :-)

My F350 has a 110 socket in the cab so I'm planning on keeping the monitor powered with that when in the TV.