Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #41

Awesome find. I'm putting this on my list of things to buy. I don't get the Roo until Thursday but it worries me to back it in through the 12' gate at an angle. I have plenty of space, just not a lot of maneuvering room. I would likely move the camera between the back of the TV while hooking up and the back of the Roo for backing in.
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderider View Post
The camera battery last about 6 hours when "keeping an eye on things" continuously. Had to test it out you know :-)
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Can you share what type/brand batteries you used?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #43

Great idea - useful for many things.
Our new truck has a backup camera which is great for hitching, but it's got a VERY wide view which is disorienting to a degree - and of course it wont help the back of the trailer.

My wife is off to the store and bringing one of these back - plan to use it around the job/home (work from home), on my cargo trailer, camper and perhaps watching the kids or dog when we're out.

I REALLY like the portrable screen - been wanting a camera for home (aka business) use but all the one's I've seen are expensive and use your TV -but I'm not in front of the TV when I'm working.

Can hardly wait till she gets home!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Can you share what type/brand batteries you used?
The batteries in the monitor are part of the unit and not changeable so they are whatever GE put in there at manufacture. For the camera I use standard AA Duracell.

Haven't tested how long they will last yet.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderider View Post
The batteries in the monitor are part of the unit and not changeable so they are whatever GE put in there at manufacture. For the camera I use standard AA Duracell.

Haven't tested how long they will last yet.
Sorry, I took it that you meant the cameras batteries lasted six hours......not the monitors.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #46

Quote:

Sorry, I took it that you meant the cameras batteries lasted six hours......not the monitors.
No worries, I jut looked back and I had a senior moment and did say the camera when I should have been clear it was the monitors built in batts.

Sorry for the confusion.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #47

got mine and wow, I like it.
LOTS of range - my son ran a good 200' out into the yard and still had a pic and two way voice communication. The IR works well too.

Have to determine how distant it will work for the auto turn on - that's the feature I need here at home/work. IR says 20ft. Through a window I'm not sure it's even that far in daylight.

With the zoom feature turned on you can pan/tilt the camera from the monitor!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #48

Smile Rear view Camera

Quote:
OK, here is what I got below. I used a gps mounting bracket with suction cup to attach the camera to the rear window, which held well.

The problem was, it rained big time that morning,so the rear window is wet, and isn't real clear. I think the wet window also added to the headlight glare from the other vehicles. You can really see the glare when the truck following me turns on their headlights.

Keep that in mind when judging the picture quality. I also lost some quality in the upload to youtube.

I had the sound on, which is what you are hearing. probably should of turned that off.

The distance between the recording monitor and the camera is estimated to be 45 feet.....which the signal is traveling thru the cab of the moving truck.... all the way thru the trailer.... to the rear window.

With the antenna up, I never lost video signal.

Anyhow, this should give everyone an idea how it works.

Exactly what GPS holder did you get to hold the camera in the rear window. Could save us all a lot of time trying to find one that fits. AND--hey HERK, seems like a good research project, for you to come up with a case that can be mounted above my rear window outside, that would make it waterproof. Guess the IR would not work thru it though. But then, what do you expect for $150.00. Main reason I would like to have one is to see when some jack$$$ gets on my bumper so close that I can not see him. At night at least I can see some brightness from headlights if the same jack$$$ approaches. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Exactly what GPS holder did you get to hold the camera in the rear window. Could save us all a lot of time trying to find one that fits. Steve
I'll take some pics of it and get the brand name when I get home this evening to post. It was one of those universal fit types, and I got it at our local Pilot Travel Center for $20 (it was on sale).

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #50

Quote:
2. I do not know how long the batteries will last in the camera, with it on all the time....as you would need for it to be if using it as a rear-view camera while traveling. I'm sure our electrical guru's here could figure out a way to tie it into the 12volt trailer wiring somehow........and this would be another mod.

The monitor, even though it has rechargeable batteries, could be plugged into a 12 volt DC/AC inverter (using the AC power cord provided with the system) if needed while traveling...so it wouldn't ever run out of power.
Here you go.

If you're like me, you have a car charger around somewhere for that old iPhone (before the 5). Just cut the old iPhone 30-pin connector off and you should see two wires in the cable. These need to be connected to your new wireless camera. You have two options for how to do that.
The first is that Jasco sells an "extension cord" for their power adapter. Extension Cable for Digital Home Monitoring Kit #45255 or Add-on Camera #45256 - GE Digital Monitoring Systems I think the $5 price is reasonable, but I wasn't willing to pay $10 for shipping. If you can find this somewhere, just cut the female end off and wire that to the car charger.

The second option is the Radio Shack "H" connector
(RS 274-1571). RadioShack For $3.50 you get two connectors but have to supply your own wire. Just solder this onto the car charger with whatever additional length of wire you need.

In either case, be sure you connect the + side to the center pin of that connector. You may need a voltmeter to verify polarity.

For inquiring minds, older iPhone chargers delivered 5 watts (1 amp). The camera is happy with less than half of that. Newer chargers were 10 watts (2 amp), which you don't need, but will work fine.

Note that the wireless camera system uses two identical AC power adapters, so this approach can be used for the monitor as well! (It uses more power, but still under the 5 watt value.)

In my case the "accessory outlet" on my Winegard TV antennae amplifier was less than 10 feet from my back window. I just plugged my camera into that outlet with my old iPhone charger setup and it works great!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Exactly what GPS holder did you get to hold the camera in the rear window. Could save us all a lot of time trying to find one that fits.
Steve, what I used was a Bracketron Universal ProMount GWM-702-BL. Here is a link to it:

Universal ProMount | Bracketron

They sell these at many places, and you can click on the where to buy button at the link above. I bought mine at the local Pilot Travel Center for $20.

Here are some pics I took awhile ago, just sticking it on my trucks window to show everyone. I showed it with the camera hanging down, as it seems this to be more sturdy with the weight of the camera hanging...............but you can do it with the camera up, which is how I did it to make the video in another post. If you are not going to be recording, and do mount the camera down, just turn the monitor upside down to correct the orientation.

There's all kind of ways to do it. I mounted it where the camera does NOT touch the window in any way.

The jaws of the mount are foam lined, and you push them together as tight as you want, remembering they are plastic and can break though. You will push a button to release the jaws when you want to remove the camera (or anything else you place in it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153 (Small).jpg
Views:	355
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154 (Small).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	24978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151 (Small).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	24979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152 (Small).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	24980  

Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Here you go.

In my case the "accessory outlet" on my Winegard TV antennae amplifier was less than 10 feet from my back window. I just plugged my camera into that outlet with my old iPhone charger setup and it works great!
Good deal, Barry. I take it you have this system.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Good deal, Barry. I take it you have this system.
Yes, I could no longer resist the desire to spend those $$$, and it does seem like a really good deal compared to what they sell at Camping World. Thanks for the discovery!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #54

This has been added to my list of things to buy.

Most of the RV style wireless systems have limited range, this doesn't appear have that problem.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #55

Great find! System works great and I was able to mount the wall bracket on my back window frame so install for use is really easy. Also, GE has a rechargeable battery pack for the camera for $20. Ordered mine today. http://www.jascoproducts.com/product...k-141p1214.htm
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #56

Pics of how I installed the camera. I used the mounting bracket that came with it and mounted directly to my rear window frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4037955445.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	25807   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2402830898.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	25808  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #57

Thanks for the idea! Worked great for me!
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle01 View Post
Pics of how I installed the camera. I used the mounting bracket that came with it and mounted directly to my rear window frame.
Excellent idea.

Glad to hear more positive reports of the system.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
Mod free 5er

Just ordered a new, never opened one on ebay for $115 & free shipping.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #60

Great find for $115! Add $20 for the rechargeable battery pack that I ordered and you still paid less than I did just for the system at Walmart!