Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #101
Site Team

Took a trip to Hot Springs Arkansas earlier this week and the camera(s) did great. I ended up mounting one in the back window of the trailer, and it helped me a lot in seeing who was behind me and where.

I had previously added a 12 volt outlet to my trailer, that is controlled by my aisle light switch on the control panel. I leave the camera turned on at the camera itself, then just use the control panel switch to turn the camera on/off when traveling...thus don't need to raise my blinds or climb over the recliners to mess with the camera. Just reach inside the trailers door to turn the camera on/off. I also now have the camera powered by the trailer battery, and thus don't need AA batteries or a 120 volt connection.

Here is the forum where I added the outlet:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...era-41237.html

I went to Radio Shack and bought their 6 foot long Enercell cord #273-348 and then picked out the corresponding plug which is a type H, to fit the GE camera. Radio Shack gives one plug per cord, so it cost $12 for the cord and plug.

Note: when you look this model number up online it states it is a six inch cord, but it's six foot.

I then did as BarryD0706 has stated previously and found a 5 volt cell phone car charger I had from past phones (since most cellphones use 5 volts like the camera does) and cut the phone end off it. I also cut one end off the Radio Shack cord, then spliced the Radio Shack Cord to the car charger cord..........making sure I had the polarity correct.... which is positive on the tip end of the car charger and positive on the inside of the Type H end.

I mounted the camera to the back window by using a T-bracket screwed into the window frame, then covered this bracket with stick-on velcro, and placed the other velcro side on the camera base.

Here are some pics showing the mounting, and cord splices.

Make sure you do not use anything that supplies a full 12 volts to the camera, as it needs 5 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet1 002 (Large).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	33361   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet1 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	33362   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet1 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	33363   Click image for larger version

Name:	12volt outlet1 005 (Large).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	33364  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #102

I remember reading this thread when it first started and then just ran across it again today when doing a search.

I think I may buy one of these since it could actually be dual purpose for us. I could use it as a back up camera and I could also mount a camera in the camper so my wife feels more comfortable leaving the camper when our DD goes to bed since she would be able to "keep an eye on her" with the night vision feature.

Has anyone done a mount for using it as a backup camera that doesn't involve using a magnet to attach it to the truck? I saw that the camera has a couple of pivot points, but does it have a swivel so it can look to the side of the cameras base or can it only be aimed in the straight plain from the base?
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
I remember reading this thread when it first started and then just ran across it again today when doing a search.

I think I may buy one of these since it could actually be dual purpose for us. I could use it as a back up camera and I could also mount a camera in the camper so my wife feels more comfortable leaving the camper when our DD goes to bed since she would be able to "keep an eye on her" with the night vision feature.

Has anyone done a mount for using it as a backup camera that doesn't involve using a magnet to attach it to the truck? I saw that the camera has a couple of pivot points, but does it have a swivel so it can look to the side of the cameras base or can it only be aimed in the straight plain from the base?
Will rotate 180 degrees horizontally also.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...era-41035.html

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #104
Mod free 5er

Put white Velcro patches of each side of the trailer and use 2 cameras so I can see both sides.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #105

Well after reading this thread over the last little while I simply could not resist and just bought one off eBay for $103 - shipped to Canada from a very good ebayer. Will have to explain to SWMBO... Ah well.

Can't wait to install it. Kid in a candy store. Thanks all for sharing this find .
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #106
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Will rotate 180 degrees horizontally also.
As Doering stated, the camera will rotate around a full 180 degrees (or any angle in-between), by turning to it's left. I edited a pic to show this, if you can tell

I placed one camera in a magnetic parts bowl, that I can easily place onto my trucks tailgate, to aim down at the ball/hitch, when hooking up. By being in the magnetic bowl and held in with two rubber bands, I can easily remove it, to just place the camera in other areas I may want to see in a camera. This magnetic bowl, that I got from Advance Auto has a plastic/rubber coating on the magnet itself, that will keep it from scratching the tailgate.

I have another camera mounted full-time in the rear window of my trailer, to use to see who is in my blind spot behind me when driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45256webd2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	34791  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #107

Thanks alot! I just ordered a system off Ebay for $69.99 shipped to my door, for that price it was kinda hard to pass up.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #108
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post
Thanks alot! I just ordered a system off Ebay for $69.99 shipped to my door, for that price it was kinda hard to pass up.
I'll say. That is cheaper than just one extra camera.

I may get another for a spare. I saw where they had 3 left on ebay for that price.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #109

I've been using this setup all season and let me tell you hooking up my TT is such a joy. I set it up just as the OP did with the magnetic dish and it's pretty much a one shot deal now without any help I love internet forums.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #110

Hey all, thought I would post at least a description of what I am currently using for hooking up my trailer by myself.

I have an iPhone and iPad I found an app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/best...432791399?mt=8

I mount my iPhone in a Ram Mount, then attach it to the rear glass of my Yukon XL and I aim at my hitch area.

Then I put my iPad in the cab area to monitor.

So this is an inexpensive app, wireless. Works on wifi or Bluetooth.

I am going to attempt to mount on the side of camper when doing setup. I did have a recent issue with range on Bluetooth when I attached it to rear of camper.

Also this is clearly not a setup to leave attached while driving down the road....for obvious reasons.

If I get a chance I can send a pic of the Ram Mount...here is a link. Very handy items to use worth a look for sure.

http://www.rammount.com/
2008 Pontiac G6
Xtrmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #111

Here is how I am "mounting" my camera to my truck. It happens that the base of the camera fits nicely into the handle bucket of the tailgate. Just to make sure that it doesn't accidentally fall out, since some times I will use to when hooking up to trailers on jobsites and other rough areas, I put a piece of velcro on the camera base and the other side inside of the tailgate handle. It worked out pretty good I think!

Although I did have one minor issue. Our 4 year old DD took the camera in to show mom what came in the mail, unfortunately in the process the camera ended up getting dropped and broke a little. It cracked right at the back of the camera where the first pivot point is, but I had some plastic epoxy and get it fixed back up.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #112
Site Team

Looks good. Whatever works best.

Please keep us informed of any other uses you may find for it, as well as any problems you may encounter.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #113

Mine came in today and will use it this coming week.

I will use the mag bowl and maybe simply use a ziploc bag to protect it from the elements, as I do not have a window at the back of my Shamrock.

Let's hope the magnet is strong enough to hold it to the rear bumper. I will probably make a plastic bracket for the spare tire cover to use instead.

Will post back of my findings.

Again thanks to the OP for the tip.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #114
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Mine came in today and will use it this coming week.

I will use the mag bowl and maybe simply use a ziploc bag to protect it from the elements, as I do not have a window at the back of my Shamrock.

Let's hope the magnet is strong enough to hold it to the rear bumper. I will probably make a plastic bracket for the spare tire cover to use instead.

Will post back of my findings.

Again thanks to the OP for the tip.
Sounds great miatared. Are you talking about using the mag bowl to attach it temporarily to the tailgate to view as you hook up the trailer (then place the camera/bowl back in the truck since it wouldn't stay on the tailgate as you drive)...or using it to place on the rear bumper of your trailer as you drive down the road?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Sounds great miatared. Are you talking about using the mag bowl to attach it temporarily to the tailgate to view as you hook up the trailer (then place the camera/bowl back in the truck since it wouldn't stay on the tailgate as you drive)...or using it to place on the rear bumper of your trailer as you drive down the road?
I already have a backup camera on my tow vehicle.

I'll put the mag bowl on the rear bumper of the trailer, to have a peak as I drive down the road and also when backing up in my campsites. Ideally I'd like to have a bracket on the spare to stick the camera on. And I have lots of other potential /planned uses for it at home too when not towing.

I think the ziploc bag should be OK to protect it for now, will think of another better way, maybe a clear plastic jar or something where I could insert the camera when needed.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #116
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I already have a backup camera on my tow vehicle.

I'll put the mag bowl on the rear bumper of the trailer, to have a peak as I drive down the road and also when backing up in my campsites. Ideally I'd like to have a bracket on the spare to stick the camera on. And I have lots of other potential /planned uses for it at home too when not towing.

I think the ziploc bag should be OK to protect it for now, will think of another better way, maybe a clear plastic jar or something where I could insert the camera when needed.
Ok Great. One of my friends here does like you are talking about, but bought a real powerful magnet to place on their bumper. I'll ask them where/what they did....just to see if that gives you any more ideas.

If you do make a watertight (or weather resistant) enclosure, I'm sure we'll all want to know.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrmtj View Post
Hey all, thought I would post at least a description of what I am currently using for hooking up my trailer by myself.

I have an iPhone and iPad I found an app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/best...432791399?mt=8

I mount my iPhone in a Ram Mount, then attach it to the rear glass of my Yukon XL and I aim at my hitch area.

Then I put my iPad in the cab area to monitor.

So this is an inexpensive app, wireless. Works on wifi or Bluetooth.

I am going to attempt to mount on the side of camper when doing setup. I did have a recent issue with range on Bluetooth when I attached it to rear of camper.

Also this is clearly not a setup to leave attached while driving down the road....for obvious reasons.

If I get a chance I can send a pic of the Ram Mount...here is a link. Very handy items to use worth a look for sure.

http://www.rammount.com/
This is a great idea. I can do this after I've already mounted my GE wireless camera in my RV rear window for the trip.

Here's another app (called Remote Live Camera) that is totally free and works well on my iPhone 5.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #118

I just got back from a week vacation in the Poconos. Over 5 hours on the road each way. We caravan with about 4 rigs. This camera was wonderful. I have it mounted in the back window of my 5th wheel. I used a converter that plugs into the 12V outlet and a extension cord to run it for the trip. I also had the same set up in the truck. This also gave me an outlet to charge my cell phone and walkie talkie during the trip. The converters were less than $30 each and can be used in the truck anytime. I could always keep an eye on traffic behind me. I could also see my fellow campers behind me. I got the camera and monitor on ebay for less than $90. One of the best investments I have made.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Your setup looks pretty good. The photo's are nice and clear.

I ordered a "Swift Hitch" system. It has not come in yet but I'll post something after I give it a try.
IndyMule...How did your Swift Hitch system work for you? I've been looking at a couple of Camera systems and was leaning towards that one...Any info would be appreciated..

Dennis
dennisyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #120
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms1960 View Post
I just got back from a week vacation in the Poconos. Over 5 hours on the road each way. We caravan with about 4 rigs. This camera was wonderful. I have it mounted in the back window of my 5th wheel. I used a converter that plugs into the 12V outlet and a extension cord to run it for the trip. I also had the same set up in the truck. This also gave me an outlet to charge my cell phone and walkie talkie during the trip. The converters were less than $30 each and can be used in the truck anytime. I could always keep an eye on traffic behind me. I could also see my fellow campers behind me. I got the camera and monitor on ebay for less than $90. One of the best investments I have made.
Glad to hear another success story.