Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Site Team

Made a wireless backup camera system cheaply

I have been wanting a backup camera or cameras, to aid me in hitching up... as well as stopping in the correct spot at the campground.

I have also been reading everyone's post on the camera(s) systems they use, or have experience with both wired and wireless. From what I have been able to ascertain with wireless systems is lack of range when mounted at the back of the trailer, which lead either to loss of pic or distorted/fuzzy pictures.

I didn't want to wire a system in, either on my tow vehicle or trailer.....so that left me with the wireless option. In my thinking, a wireless system didn't need the camera or monitor tied to a power supply...thus needed to be battery powered or rechargeable. Because of this requirement, it omitted many of the wireless home surveillance systems that might could have worked on the truck/trailer as well, because most of these require 120Volt power to use.

If I haven't bored you to death yet, here is what I found in my local Wally World the other day, the GE Wireless Home Monitoring Kit #45255 for $140.

GE Wireless Color Camera and Monitor: Surveillance Equipment : Walmart.com

Here is why I got it:

The color camera and handheld monitor can be run off of 120 volt with included power supplies, or the monitor has built in batteries that can be recharged, while the camera can run off of AA batteries.......thus they don't have to be hooked to a power supply.

The package says the connection is 2.4 Ghz with a 450 foot range. I have used it from one end of my house to the other and it works with no problem, as well as placing the camera on the back and underside of my camper (pics below) with no problem. The monitor has a flip up antenna to help the range.

The camera also has night vision, that works.....as well as a two way intercom built in so you can talk/hear from the camera and monitor....but from what I have been able to tell the sound may not be so great outdoors.

If you put in a micro sd card in the monitor, you can record video from the camera (which is what I did to get the pics below)

Another plus is, you can add up to three more cameras to the system for four total that can be seen on the monitor. However these extra cameras were $80 a piece.

What I did was just place the camera base into one of those magnetic base tool/parts bowls and run a few rubber bands around it. After that, I could just stick it on my tailgate (as seen in pics), or on my back bumper of the trailer, or underneath the trailer to see my rear electric stabilizers.

I took the three videos while the monitor was on the dash of my truck. I have lost some of the picture quality by taking screenshots of the videos while they were paused in windows media player.

Anyhow, I can't testify yet to the durability or life expectancy of the system....but just letting everyone know if they want to test it out. You can also use the system for other things once you get to the campground, and be able to record it.

P.S. The camera will also play four lullabies and has a built in nightlight, if you can't sleep on your camping trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130120_155351 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	23185   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	23186   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper.JPG
Views:	1709
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23187   Click image for larger version

Name:	electric stabilizer.JPG
Views:	1674
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	23188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130120_155420 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	23189  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

Those are great pictures.

I bought an Eyeball wireless camera that is powered by a 9v smoke-detector battery. The camera has a magnetic mount to stick on the tailgate of my pickup. The receiver plugs into the cigarette lighter. Only problem is I get a lot of distortion when backing up to my trailer, especially when I step on the brake. If your setup constantly produces the quality images that your pictures show, I'll have to try it.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Your setup looks pretty good. The photo's are nice and clear.

I ordered a "Swift Hitch" system. It has not come in yet but I'll post something after I give it a try.
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I have to admit; that is pretty darn cool.

Another thing on my "To Buy" list.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Site Team

great find and thanx for the pics.
i too, have looked for an inexpensive wireless camera setup.
the Peak one seems to be no longer available and there were some issues with its range. i wanted to be able to use it on the back of the trailer, to see what's behind me while driving and when backing up.
with this range, it might be something to look at. just wish the lcd screen was bigger.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

I have been looking for a reasonably priced backup camera for use when pulling in mostly.

Have added this to m wish list and will be checking it out oat our local Wally World tomorrow ( they have it in stock too )
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i wanted to be able to use it on the back of the trailer, to see what's behind me while driving and when backing up.
It's really an indoor camera and states that if used outdoors it would need to be protected from the elements.

If you were going to use it while driving, then it would depend on where you placed it. If it was outside of the camper, it would probably need to be mounted in some kind of weatherproof clear container or camera housing....which shouldn't be hard at all. Don't know if that would interfere with the antenna and/or transmitting range though.

You might could also mount it inside the trailer and aim it out a back window.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That would be great for watching stuff on the cargo rack !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's really an indoor camera and states that if used outdoors it would need to be protected from the elements.
You might could also mount it inside the trailer and aim it out a back window.
unfortunately, i don't have a back window in my trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

Very cool. Something to look into for sure.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Neat. I am going to have look at it.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Ok, went to Wally World and bought one today. Playing with it at the house for now but seeing that the picture looks pretty good. Have camera in an upstairs window keeping an eye on the driveway for now. The monitor is down stairs and the picture is pretty good.

Plan on trying to use it to view the king pin line up rather than having to sit up tall in the seat to see it. Will then put it on the back of the Vengeance when backing in for a better view of what's going on.

Not bad for $149 and portable to boot. :-)
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderider View Post

Plan on trying to use it to view the king pin line up rather than having to sit up tall in the seat to see it. Will then put it on the back of the Vengeance when backing in for a better view of what's going on.

Not bad for $149 and portable to boot. :-)
That is exactly how I was going to do it coderider. Great minds think alike!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
That is exactly how I was going to do it coderider. Great minds think alike!
+1
I showed this to DW tonight and she just shook her head and asked me if it was another camping toy that we needed I told her not to be surprised if one were to appear at the house.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Dad-Gum-It, Bobby. I think you just caused me to spend some money.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

Just read one review over on Amazon that pointed out that the night vision doesn't work thru a window. Just FYI...
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
+1
I showed this to DW tonight and she just shook her head and asked me if it was another camping toy that we needed I told her not to be surprised if one were to appear at the house.
This seems to happen frequently at our house too.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #18

I note that this wireless system operates on the same frequency as most wifi routers (2.4 GHz). GE makes a similar product that they say is "wifi friendly" (different frequency). Do any of you that have this also have wifi at home( or in your rig), and if so, have you seen any interference problems?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I note that this wireless system operates on the same frequency as most wifi routers (2.4 GHz). GE makes a similar product that they say is "wifi friendly" (different frequency). Do any of you that have this also have wifi at home( or in your rig), and if so, have you seen any interference problems?
I got it near my wifi router at the house and the speaker started making a noise, but went away when I moved about ten foot or so. I never lost pic, but didn't check to see if I lost wifi.

I'll check it this evening to see when I get home.

I used the system this morning while hooking up one of our tire trailers to my truck.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Something I noticed this morning, when backing up and trying to align the trailer hitch on the ball.......is depending on how you have the camera aimed, it can make your right and left opposite on the camera, when trying to figure out which way to turn your truck. This is easily fixed by just turning your monitor upside down.