Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Master Bedroom Remodel question

Our 2014 Sunseeker 3170DS has the setup with the two tall wall cabinets on either side of the bed with the shorter overhead cabinet in the center.

Does anyone know if the tall side upper wall cabinets could be removed without affecting the center unit or, do the side cabinets hold the center in place?
The center unit is clearly screwed up into the roof but, I'm not certain those screws alone would hold the unit.

I'm considering removing the two tall upper cabinets to make sleeping in the master bed a little more comfortable. After two trips and two bumped heads in a row I feel like a change is required.
Thanks
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Consider shortening them?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Easiest thing to change is to just sleep upside down. DW wants to try that approach when we kick off the season this weekend.

Other than that I'd follow OC's suggestion. Why lose the whole cabinet just to get a few inches of headroom?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

If you have access to a table saw you could take them down and saw enough off the 4 sides in the back so they'd be even with the center cabinet. That way you won't lose that much storage.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

I would love to cut them down, the thing is I'm not sure I can pull the sides down without the center falling out.

The good thing about cutting them is that there are only two sides, the two you can see. There's no wall side or back in either cabinet so that wouldn't take much.

What I would really prefer is being able to get the smaller center cabinet that was wall to wall and do away with both tall units. We have all the hanging clothes space we need without either of them.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

You need to look for all supporting screws for unit. Once that is done then you can see from there if you can remove some.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

If like most cabs in any RV they were probably glued together as a single unit on the bench and then installed as a single unit.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
If like most cabs in any RV they were probably glued together as a single unit on the bench and then installed as a single unit.
Never heard that, good to know. Maybe they can have a molding made with foam in it to protect from head banging.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm thinking, bumping your head is merely a learning curve. A couple more times and you'll probably learn your lesson.

Seriously though, I had a similar situation in a camper years ago, and it took just a few times of hitting my head, and I learned instinctively to roll inward as I rose to get out of bed.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #10

I don't think anyone needs to worry about their cabinetry falling down.

I started to remove the left side tall cabinet, removed all the trim and screws that hold the unit up and this thing hasn't budged an inch.
There's apparently a couple of screws that were put in from the outside in, penetrating into the edges of the cabinetry side and bottom panel. Must have been screwed in before the outside skin of the RV was put on.

Without a multi-tool or some other way to get between the wall and the cabinet to physically cut the screw off, this thing ain't coming down. I don't know if Forest River hangs all the cabinets this way but this back unit is.

Looks like someone is going to learn to live with it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I don't think anyone needs to worry about their cabinetry falling down.

I started to remove the left side tall cabinet, removed all the trim and screws that hold the unit up and this thing hasn't budged an inch.
There's apparently a couple of screws that were put in from the outside in, penetrating into the edges of the cabinetry side and bottom panel. Must have been screwed in before the outside skin of the RV was put on.

Without a multi-tool or some other way to get between the wall and the cabinet to physically cut the screw off, this thing ain't coming down. I don't know if Forest River hangs all the cabinets this way but this back unit is.

Looks like someone is going to learn to live with it.
I doubt screws from the outside, but there might be some spots with adhesive on the support boards. I would take a putty knife and start all around the support boards.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I doubt screws from the outside, but there might be some spots with adhesive on the support boards. I would take a putty knife and start all around the support boards.
I have used the putty knife and I can fit it all the way around except in one spot when I hit something metal.

Tomorrow I plan to attempt using a sawzall in there and see if it will scratch whatever is holding it up there. The multi-tool didn't do anything to it but, it's something metal in there for sure.

I guess we'll find out.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Sounds like you're butchering your new rv

tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

I removed the dinette from one that I had. There were a couple screws that went in from the out side. Not the way I would have built it..but. Be prepared to wall paper, panel or add trim to cover the holes in wall from the screws you need to remove..
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #15

Cut the top three inches off the top of your bed frame. Snap a line and go at it with a circular saw. Why tear into your nice cabinetry.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #16

Sounds like most folks on here are certainly Pro-Cabnetry.

After running into the metal anchors from the outside I sort of threw in the towel on the project.
We never planned to butcher the cabinets but simply take them down and take them to my cabinet builder friend to re-design them and re-install them.
Sounded so easy. We had no idea it would turn into a near total bedroom remodel project.

I'm going to look at the lowering the bed idea, the main electrical is under the bed so I'm not sure if that's even possible but if it is, that's a good idea.

Tags
bed, roo, modifications