Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #1

Mattress Topper 4 our pup

Looking at getting a mattress topper for our new Flagstaff MAC 207 Tent Trailer. The heated mattresses are good but you can feel the wood underneath after laying in the same position for a couple of hours. Couple of things to consider, I would still want the ability to use the heated mattress if needed and I would like to be able to leave it and still put the top down and not have to store it somewhere else. Look like there might be some clearance under the slide between the sofa and fridge cabinet or could we just leave it on top? How much room could I get away with? A 2 inch,3 inch or 4 inch topper? Any potential damage I might want to consider before trying to get the top to close by pushing it tight?

Thanks for the tips.
AlexinCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #2

You should have a little clearance on top - you will have to measure to see how much.

I don't worry too much about using the heating "feature". In the summer, it's not needed (by us). Fall and Spring are our favorite times for dry camping - no-hookup sites are readily available without reservation, and we don't need the A/C. If it gets that cold, the furnace is available. And in the Fall and Spring, we'll carry sleeping bags for backup against cold.

A good mattress topper has made all the difference in our 2014 Rockwood A122. We can actually sleep at night.

We can no longer store the pillows on the bed with the camper folded down, but I just put them on the dinette table. With just the mattress, there is enough space folded down for the topper to stay on the bed with a fitted sheet and light blanket.

Obviously, I may have more vertical clearance between bed and roof than you do - hence the measurement recommendation. But even if you have to store it separately, the sleep is so much improved over feeling the hard wood underneath that I would do it.

just my thoughts and experiences - yours may differ
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #3

Just bought 3 inch memory foam toppers for our cruise lite at costco and they are amazing . Do not have the heated mattress feature but we have sleeping bags as well. Best thing I have purchased for our camper.
dannyging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Just got the 3 inch topper from Costco, I'll let everyone know if there is clearance inside to simply lay it on top of the RV mattress to close the top.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

I had 3" toppers on both bunk ends on my last PUP, a 2010 Flagstaff BR19SC closing the top just took a little more tucking and a firm push downward to get the latches caught.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Wow what a great addition way better sleep! What we did to keep the mattress topper in the PUP folded down was to move it to the other side (double) and let it overhang a little. Our door mounts to the ceiling over the queen slide so there isn't any clearance there. You were right Blackrock just a little more tucking and a firm push. Well worth the investment.