Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #1

Maxx fan install location

I want to install a Maxx fan in my 2019 F. R. 33IKT Sabre kitchen/living room. Has anyone installed one and if so how can I determine if there are any wires or duct work in the way before I start making the cut out?
RichM303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Pull down the inner frame of the ceiling vent. You may/not find wire there.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

There is no existing vent in the ceiling. I don't want to make a mistake and cut where there might be wires or duct work. I was hoping that someone might have installed one and could give me some pointers. Thanks
Old 11-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #4

I only installed fans where a vent existed. Not sure about making a hole in a roof. Try the manufacturer for info.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:16 AM   #5

Most fans have framing on all 4 sides so they are boxed in. You going to do that? How are you running power?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #6

Cutting thru any area of an RV is poking a stick in a mine field. No clue where those wires are running and they seem to be in different places on two matching RV's. If you go ahead with this...yeah...where are you getting power from (Babock) and start with SMALL hole as you don't know what you'll find in there. Guess you could take the ceiling panels completely down and start from there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Most of the newer RV's have more than one vent opening. Mine has a maxi vent plus three crank up vents. I'd stick with replacing an existing vent rather than explore the treacherous waters of making a big hole in your roof and not knowing what you'll find, how you'll be able to frame the openinmg and how far you'll need to run wiring. If you use an existing vent, more likely than not there will some 12 v wires near your vent opening. Much easeir process than starting from scratch.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Most of the newer RV's have more than one vent opening.
OP has no vents in his ceiling. That's his problem.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #9

I did mine in my bedroom. Wires you can move or reroute. Your ac duct work,, different story. Go to the hardwere store and get a folding extendable mirror. pull your AC vents down,,look in with the mirror and a flashlight and that will tell you your ductwork routing. Then theres roof trusses. You dont want to cut them. They should be easier to find. Stud finder,,, drop some cieling lts and take measurements to the trusses. Measure 6 times,, cut once. I had to cut thru one of my trusses but it was resting on a wall that crossed the whole trailer. The wiring I got from my bedroom ceiling light. You have to be mindful of the fan load. they draw about 3.6 amps on high. Look at your 12 volt breakers for your lights. They can give you an idea on what circuit is near where you want to put your fan. Remember, you need to know the spacing of your roof trusses. They don,t all show up on your roof material. Did I scare you away yet?
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Most fans have framing on all 4 sides so they are boxed in. You going to do that? How are you running power?
You're making this a big project as Babcock points out. Not sure what kind of fans you have in your existing vents (Bathroom, Bedroom, anyplace there is already a vent) but that's the way to go. Max Air fans are powerful enough that if you only open a few windows a crack, they will suck a nice breeze in through those 1 inch open windows. I know because I froze one 70 degree night by turning the fan on when my buddys staying in the camper with me voted no AC. I cracked my side window by my bed and felt like was sleeping in a wind tunnel since it was the only one open.

By the way, that fan was about 15 feet from me in the bathroom.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
You're making this a big project as Babcock points out. Not sure what kind of fans you have in your existing vents (Bathroom, Bedroom, anyplace there is already a vent) but that's the way to go. Max Air fans are powerful enough that if you only open a few windows a crack, they will suck a nice breeze in through those 1 inch open windows. I know because I froze one 70 degree night by turning the fan on when my buddys staying in the camper with me voted no AC. I cracked my side window by my bed and felt like was sleeping in a wind tunnel since it was the only one open.

By the way, that fan was about 15 feet from me in the bathroom.
I was only giving the OP the information they ask for. Its up to them to do what they want with it.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Thank you all for your answers and advice. I tried several times contacting Forest River for location info but they were useless. I'm sure the fan can be ordered from the factory installed as an option. I guess I'll have to do my own legwork. I have no problem installing the fan, I have installed them and a/c as well to my previous rv.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #13

I just installed a non-powered 14x14 vent in my roof. I used a stud finder and the side of my fist and knuckle taps to find solid and hollow areas in my ceiling. I cut the interior ceiling paneling first with a small battery operated circular saw set with a very shallow cut depth..just to the thickness of the paneling.
Sure enough there were some speaker wires in the ceiling but nothing else. Once the opening was clear, I then cut into the roof.
If I did make a location mistake, I only have to find a suitable ceiling patch for the interior.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I just installed a non-powered 14x14 vent in my roof. I used a stud finder and the side of my fist and knuckle taps to find solid and hollow areas in my ceiling. I cut the interior ceiling paneling first with a small battery operated circular saw set with a very shallow cut depth..just to the thickness of the paneling.
Sure enough there were some speaker wires in the ceiling but nothing else. Once the opening was clear, I then cut into the roof.
If I did make a location mistake, I only have to find a suitable ceiling patch for the interior.
Another tool that's great for these "exploration cuts" is an oscillating Mult-Tool like those made by Fein, Rigid, Dremel. You can almost be "surgical with them and because the blade oscillates it won't hook a wire if you encounter one. Will for the most part just push it back and forth.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #15

Thanks for the info! Framing shouldn't be a problem. Pretty much just to take up the space between the ceiling and the roof since the fan is screwed down on the roof and inside just the trim ring. (?)

Tags
cat, fan, location