Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

Should be able to check with out cutting wires. Volt meter with a point. 12 volt wires are paired 115 romex for AC.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

Hoping this will work for uploading a photo of the wiring.

The blue/white pair appears to go through the hole in the center-right of the first picture, and then re-appear, which suggests that it might be feeding the lights (and then continuing to the next light).
The red/white pair seem the heaviest gauge.
There's also a blue/black pair, an orange/black pair, a gray/white pair, and a maroon/white pair. Two of those are presumable feeding the speakers.

There's a 12v + USB outlet panel over the nightstand, 2 over-bed lights, and a 110v outlet all being fed (presumably) by those wires.
Assuming two pairs are used for the speakers, that leaves 3 pairs for over-bed lights, 12v/usb outlet (which could be off the same pairs or separate pairs), and 110v outlets.

Having a wiring diagram to determine which things feed from each fuse and where the wires route, would be particularly useful

If anyone's installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom of a recent Rockwood ultra-lite, then any info/experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

On our FR3, it wasn't a normal red/black wire as you would expect but a white/black 14 gage or so. Just use your multimeter and you can press the pointy probe through the insulation usually to see if the wire is a hot 12vdc or not with your ground to chassis. Our wiring was independent to the LED lighting.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Fan should be thickest wires. Check with volt meter.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

Will do next time I'm at the storage place
I was just hoping that there would be a pair with an end, that were actually specifically set for the purpose, rather than just being a pair that runs off elsewhere for other purposes.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #16

Is any of those wires a pigtail with caps on them vs going from one side to the other. You have WAY more wires than we did. :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
Is any of those wires a pigtail with caps on them vs going from one side to the other. You have WAY more wires than we did. :-)
Nope, no tails
that's what I was hoping for.

Looks like the red/white pair are the best bet, and I'll test out next time I'm there, but I guess they run them elsewhere too. I'm guessing they might have left that loop in the red/white pair to leave enough length to cut the wire, and wire them into the fan.
I guess they just ran ALL the wires through the same channel.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #18

I have fans in all my roof openings. Where there was just a vent, the heavy wire was looped. That is the one I used. Also I didn't change the fuse size since it has not blown. If it does I will go up one size. That is three right down the center, what a difference!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have fans in all my roof openings. Where there was just a vent, the heavy wire was looped. That is the one I used. Also I didn't change the fuse size since it has not blown. If it does I will go up one size. That is three right down the center, what a difference!
I'm planning to do the bedroom fan first as a priority, but then consider adding one to the bunkroom and possibly one to the living room/kitchen vent after that.

We already have a fantastic-fan + maxx-air II vent cover factory fitted in both bathrooms.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #20

So, during our camping trip this past weekend, I worked out that the large Red/White wire pair are the switched power to the bedroom slide.
So no go there.

There's a separate Red/White pair that goes to the 12v/USB power outlet on the bedroom front wall, (I removed the outlet), but I have no idea where that's routed, and can't get to it from the vent area.

So, I checked a couple of the other wires, and the Purple/White pair (seen hanging lowest towards the right side, in the first of the photos posted previously) is permanent 12v. It a smaller gauge than the Red/White pair, but bigger than some of the others, and I'm hoping it should be ok for the 5A needed for the fan (I just don't know what else it's supplying)

Tags
fan, roo, roof