Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Metal Valve Stems for Sprinter Dually

We have a 2017 Forester 2401W Sprinter base motorhome that we are hoping to find metal valve stems that fit the narrow mounting area of the dually wheels. A braided extension tore the original low pressure rubber stem. External nut type valve stem preferred. Thanks!
Glampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

Go to a tire store that does pickup trucks. My local Tires Plus has everything I have needed. If not they order it. Or a,local shop that fixes trucks, RVs, sells tires, repairs cars, etc. Also have a local shop like that.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

Try this place.

Duallyvalve Kits for Class B or C - Sprinter Trucks
Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Also, you may get better exposure to your question at the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis sub forum.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis - Forest River Forums
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
2x on duallyvalve Kits, I have them mounted on my Sunseeker [emoji4]
ddhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Go to a tire store that does pickup trucks. My local Tires Plus has everything I have needed. If not they order it. Or a,local shop that fixes trucks, RVs, sells tires, repairs cars, etc. Also have a local shop like that.
I’m glad to see this issue brought up; I was going to ask this question also. I had new tires put on my Solera not long ago by My local Tires Plus. At that time I asked them about ordering & installing some metal rigid stems. They didn’t follow thru on it. Fast forward to preparing for my recent Xmas camping trip; I went ahead and found a chrome dually valve kit on Amazon that said it was specifically sized for MBZ Sprinters. It set me back around $100.( more expensive than other dually kits), but I thought it should work. So, I took this kit into Tires Plus for them to install. This was the same guy who installed my tires and had failed to even line up my old stems making it impossible for me to fill up my tires with air. This installer then told me that he was unable to put them on due to the fact that my design of rim covers doesn’t line up properly with the stems making them unable to work. So I’m out $100. now and it’s a huge pain in the neck trying to put air in my tires when I’m traveling (solo female traveler also.) I’m thinking of going to a second shop and getting another opinion. I’m frustrated, any advice anyone?
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

Note you must use thread lock with the valve extensions otherwise the stem nut will eventually loosen causing loss of tire pressure. (Ask me how I know)
ddhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #8

We put these (the HM8001) on our FR Forester 2401R and have had no trouble. They attach to the simulator cover (which itself is screwed into the rim) with two pop rivets for the attachment and then the air hose is attached to that with a nut. You can’t leave them flopping around or damage will happen. There are other attachment methods shown depending on the type of rim and cover in the vehicle. http://www.wheelmasters.com/inflators.html
Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post

I had a local truck tire place install metal valve stems and extenders on my then new 2017 Forester MBS 2401WS. We then drove from Colorado to the east coast. When we got to Maine I noticed one of the inner rear tires was flat and went to a tire shop that said the valve stem cracked and the tire was destroyed from driving with it flat. I was not happy and had them put the spare on and put the ruined tire in a compartment so I could show the tire shop in Colorado what happened. We continued on our trip but before we got back home the inner tire on the other side was low on air. The nearby shop in Wyoming told me that valve stem cracked too and was leaking so they replaced it and we continued to Colorado.

When we got home I told my tale of woe to the tire shop that originally installed the metal stems and extenders. Fortunately they replaced the ruined tire for free without argument but said they didn't have a better solution for the valve stems and I should research what others have done. This lead me to the place chroniekon recommend. Yes they are pricey but I ordered them and am very satisfied both with the quality and the result. NO MORE FLATS SINCE!!! Were i you I would return the Amazon solution and get these valve stems. They work with the wheel liners and with TPMS too.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

Four or five inch long rigid metal stems on the inner wheels worries me. So does flexible extensions whipping around at highway speeds. I am currently exploring 1+1/2 inch long metal stems that fit the sprinter wheel along with stainless braided extensions that are held taut by MOCAP cap plugs that fit snugly in the outer wheel holes. I'm planning a 4000 mile trip and doing the best to prepare to avoid on the road surprises. I will post my results. The MOCAP cap plugs will securely support TPMS caps.
Glampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

Here's a thread that ran a while back on the subject. It dealt with those of us that have aluminum wheels, but some of the info may be pertinent.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-133902.html

Tags
valve