Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
I am afraid I agree with another member. we have day/nite blinds in our Georgetown. Two of them are coming apart (strings broken). I think we will replace them with miniblinds when they go completly. Their too expensive to repair.
I’m using aluminum mini blinds for my windows. It is easy to maintain even in humid environment and no doubt they are the cheapest of all blinds for which it is preferred by most people.
danneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #22

I prefer the mini blinds over the day/night.. we have had both, at the moment we have the day/night shades..I like to just be able to open and close without the tugging we have to do when pulling them over the window knob openers. They are adjustable to a certain extent, however, they still are not a smooth operation. Would not put them in again.
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I fully understand "why the mini blinds in the kitchen". The greasy air and general cooking splatter so close to the blinds, and the fire possibilities due to their close proximity is more than likely their reasoning. As for the bathroom, ???? Randy
Same reasons for the bathroom....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #24

we replaced the Day nite in the bedroom with a Brown colored Mini, makes it alot Darker for those days you want to sleep in ( to much to drink the nite before)

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanne7 View Post
great information, the rockwood we are looking at has the same window coverings, I love the tests you did. What can you tell me about the towing qualities of rockwood. The trailer is high compared to the surveyor which has a low center of gravity, both have torsion suspension. Any thoughts

bryanne7, here are the results from the test that i posted, click on the link below.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ents-4385.html
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanne 7 View Post
great information, the rockwood we are looking at has the same window coverings, I love the tests you did. What can you tell me about the towing qualities of rockwood. The trailer is high compared to the surveyor which has a low center of gravity, both have torsion suspension. Any thoughts
To answer your question on towing qualities of a Rockwood will be based on my own experience as an 8314ss owner 2006 model year.

#1. Have the tires balanced on your camper, i have found on my rig with the tires that came on it were not the best tires to have and i had experienced vibration during tow at high speeds, once the tires were balanced the tow became noticeably smoother.

#2. The tow vehicle, this one thing that is very important it must be adequate to handle the load of the camper and I base this on the full load capacity of the camper max load rating, the other thing to look at is the wheel base of the tow vehicle, the long the better for more stability.

#3. The hitch work, the correct hitch must be installed and most importantly installed correctly. I had a very bad experience with poor hitch work by the dealer, i all most lost my tow vehicle, my new rockwood and my family on interstate 76 the PA turnpike due to out of control sway. The camper was set too low behind the truck and the set-up was not square to the truck.

I do not fool around when it comes to safety, when the wrong equipment is used and not installed correctly this can affect other components which could fail and could take another's life.

At this time I tow an 8314ss Rockwood with a max weight rating or full capacity of 7,910 lbs, and it is approx 34' long, my tow vehicle is an 2008 Chevy heavy duty 1/2 ton and set up for towing by GM with a max tow capacity of 10,500lbs. With everything i mention above in place the Rockwood tows great.

I posted a pic of how my hitch set up, notice how high the tongue is compared to the bumper, this is what's needed to be done in order for the camper to ride on a level position, it is the difference between the receiver's location and the height of the camper tongue when level.

I will say' there is a lot to know and you will learn as you go and this forum is a great place to get the info.

One other thing, plan for the future as far as your tow vehicle, remember the tow vehicle you have can not tow everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch and hook-up.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	3831  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #27

bryanne7

thank you very much for the information. I pull with a 06 F-15 4x4 supercab with a 5.4L triton, 145 inch w/B, It is long and has lots of power. It pulls very well.
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote