Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Mini Lite Cold Weather Camping

This is our first year with a Mini Lite (2509S) and with cold weather coming I'm concerned about the cold air coming in through the storage doors, then coming up from behind the sofa. I would think that accessing items in storage through the outside storage doors would send a lot of cold air into the camper.

I realize that most of the storage items are accessible by lifting the sofa. But do the outside storage doors seal out the cold when left closed and latched?

Any suggestions (other than 'don't open the storage doors').

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

how cold we talking? anything below freezing for more then a few hours and you are risking damage to plumbing. If you are not paying for electric get yourself some inexpensive space heaters and burn the campgrounds power instead of your propane. Not many campers are truly 4 season rated for true winter camping.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
I would think that accessing items in storage through the outside storage doors would send a lot of cold air into the camper.
Any suggestions (other than 'don't open the storage doors').
-Rich
With our small trailer, opening the storage doors does send a draft of cold/hot air into the trailer. The doors do seal out some of the cold.
I'm not sure how you'd seal it in the trailer itself...other than finding any gaps and sealing them (or perhaps stuffing some insulation behind the sofa)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
how cold we talking? anything below freezing for more then a few hours and you are risking damage to plumbing. If you are not paying for electric get yourself some inexpensive space heaters and burn the campgrounds power instead of your propane. Not many campers are truly 4 season rated for true winter camping.
I'm talking about lower 40's at night. When the Murphy bed is down, the opening behind the sofa is just below the bed

-Rich
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Throw an extra blanket on. Seriously! Or run your furnace. That's what it's there for. Unless you're going to be living in your trailer for an extended period of time, I wouldn't worry about it. These units are not built for cold weather.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #6

cold weather camping

we camp year round on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada and sometimes during the winter it gets down to -10C. We use an electric heater in the living room and in the bedroom to supplement the furnace. Fleece sheets and an extra blanket work for night time. Sweaters during the day if necessary. We have a heated hose for the water and usually manage fine. We only have two outside storage areas and only one of them (the one under the bed) can be accessed from inside as well as outside. If it started to let in cold air, I would put a big piece of insulation just inside the outside door. We don't usually need to access that storage area once the trailer is set up so it shouldn't be an issue.
120 days camping so far this year and heading out today for another 19!!
alix lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #7

I’ve done a lot of cold (below freezing) camping in our Wolf Pup.

I don’t use water (winterized already), which mean pit toilets, but having electrical hookup helps us 100%. I bring an electric heater, and electric heated blanket. The small electric heater is more then enough to keep temp around 70+.

I used the furnace the first year, and after a few nights we were out of propane and woke up freezing at 4am. Always use the electric heater now.

My son and wife love the heated blanket.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

We camp in the 30's quite a bit. We run a space heater and it stays warm. The furnace is noisy to me.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
We camp in the 30's quite a bit. We run a space heater and it stays warm. The furnace is noisy to me.
LOL! That's what my wife says about the air conditioner. So as a result, I end up sleeping sweating bullets in the summertime.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Most of us spend a night or two and figure out where the troublesome cold spots/drafts are and figure out a way to plug them or avoid them.

I'm sure you will to. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm talking about lower 40's at night. When the Murphy bed is down, the opening behind the sofa is just below the bed

-Rich
Lower 40's is not cold weather camping .Get a nice little ceramic space heater and use the campground electric . if not hooked up the furnace will do just fine
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:

-Rich

40's... nothing to worry about. Small space heater, site with electric, and you're golden. A great way to find air leaks in your camper is to close up all the windows/doors, crack open and run the exhaust fan.

I found I get air coming in where the city water and fresh water fill enters. Sealed it up and the camper is still freezing cold without a heater LOL.

These campers are built with insulation as an afterthought (Most of them). Ever look at the depth of insulation? I would get a better R-Value if I used my wife's left over cotton balls.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

I use this tiny little heater on LOW, and the camper stays warmer then I need. Its not loud, but sometimes does make that space heater rattle noise as it heats up or cools down. It has a thermostat, Ceramic elements, low or High heat (I keep on low), as well as fan ONLY. 1200 - 1500 Watts.

Found it on amazon for $39 two years ago, seems its gone up in price a bit since then. Broan-NuTone 6201 Big Heat Heater

Old 12-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #14

I saw somewhere, maybe on this forum, where the camps 20A service outlet could be used to run an additional heater if needed. I’ve wired an additional indoor outlet just for that purpose. Male plug hangs just under the skirt below my OEM electrical port. Nice not having to balance coffee machine, microwave and electric heater use on 30A service.
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alix lines View Post
we camp year round on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada and sometimes during the winter it gets down to -10C. We use an electric heater in the living room and in the bedroom to supplement the furnace. Fleece sheets and an extra blanket work for night time. Sweaters during the day if necessary. We have a heated hose for the water and usually manage fine. We only have two outside storage areas and only one of them (the one under the bed) can be accessed from inside as well as outside. If it started to let in cold air, I would put a big piece of insulation just inside the outside door. We don't usually need to access that storage area once the trailer is set up so it shouldn't be an issue.
120 days camping so far this year and heading out today for another 19!!

Curious, is the bottom of your unit sealed, (can you see the tanks) and does it have tank heaters?
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #16

Thank you for all of your comments/suggestions. What I was initially trying to determine was to find out if the Mini Lites with the Murphy Beds have a draft problem. There is an opening behind the sofa (when the bed is in the UP position) that goes right to the pass thru storage (unheated). And when the bed is in the 'down' position, most of the underside of the bed is exposed to the pass thru storage area. The only thing blocking the cold air from coming in the trailer are the 2 pass thru storage doors. Are these doors effective in keeping out the cold?
-Rich
Old 12-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #17
Site Team

You will get a lot of condensation on the bottom of the bed if it is exposed to the pass through that is not heated. The warm moisture from your body will penetrate the mattress and condense on cold bottom. Most small TT and 5ers are not really designed for use in cold conditions. You will also get considerable condensation on windows and interior walls.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, lite