Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Misc Mods to Wildwood TT

Two camping trips completed with this new travel trailer, including a very nice sunset.

Modifications we’ve done so far.
  • Two inch hitch receiver on back bumper for a bicycle rack.
  • Replaced the simple steel triangle skids at rear of trailer with heavier steel triangles that hold steel wheels. This trailer is pretty low and every trip I’ve taken it on so far, I’ve dragged the rear on those steel wheels. I’m sure the original light steel triangle skids would be mangled or gone by now. BTW. I’m considering modifying the axles so the leaf springs are on top of the axles and providing the trailer frame with 3 more inches of height off the ground.
  • Added a second 12V battery. The battery tray and cabin body are so close 6V batteries would not fit. Also due to the tight fit between the battery tray and cabin body, the lids of the boxes holding the two twelve volt batteries had to be modified to fit next to one another.
  • Installed a rocker switch in the power line to the radio so the radio does not drain the batteries when not in use. While working in that area I also added an auxiliary 12v accessory plug. (See attached image.)
  • Put a hinge on the plywood panel covering the water tank, and providing the base for the bed. I can now easily open the cubby holding the water tank and water pump. I also found lots more unused space there too and am now considering building storage compartments there. (See attached image.). Unfortunately while in there I again found poor Forrest River workmanship. The metal strap and cleats intended to hold the water tank in place were not attached to the trailer floor. I got rid of the metal strap and put some 1x2 boards over the top of the tank.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoCalSunset.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	19577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	19578   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterTankCover.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	19579  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliamp View Post
  • Replaced the simple steel triangle skids at rear of trailer with heavier steel triangles that hold steel wheels. This trailer is pretty low and every trip I’ve taken it on so far, I’ve dragged the rear on those steel wheels. I’m sure the original light steel triangle skids would be mangled or gone by now.
Could you give some greater detail about this? I have considered doing the same thing soon.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Let us know how long the 2 inch bumper receiver lasts before you remove it or it falls off all by itself. See MANY threads here about why it is a notoriously bad idea.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Just added battery cut off switch to my trailer this weekend. Like you, found out (the hard way) that radio drains the battery.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

Actually this is my second TT with a hitch receiver installed at the rear bumper. San Diego Trailer Supply did the first one and it worked well for over 15 years, until I sold that TT. My new Wildwood was modified by San Diego Trailer Supply too and they installed reinforcing steel between the I-beams to support the hitch. I am very confident it will work fine for a long time for my purposes.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #6

Regarding replacing the skids with rollers. Sorry but I don't have much information or pictures. My TT is now in storage so I can't easily get either. The job cost me about $200 and has been often used. My nephew is a fireman and he told me their firetruck has similar wheels on the rollers used on that truck. San Diego Trailer Supply installed my trailer hitch on the back of the trailer and suggested I get the rollers. I'm happy they made the suggestion.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Ah, from your post I thought it was a bumper hitch receiver.
My bad...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
TeresaInCAL

Wow, that is a TON of useable storage under the bed! Is it possible that you show the outside corners? It kinda looks like they're round? I'm doing a bed mod now, and am looking at ways to do the corners.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Explorer

I have done many of your mods and there posted w/pics but I dont know how to link them. I also dragged my back-end and hitch on the first tip so I did the axle flip and it works fantasticly. But while I only wanted 3inches, as well, you will probably get more like 5 1/4 inches. It took me a while to convince myself to try 5 1/4 but ultimitly for $24 it was hard to pass up and I could always go back. But its GREAT, it rides/trailers wonderfuly no center of gravity problems no cross wind problems. We do carry an extra step.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Regarding the bed's round corners. They are round and I'll attach a image that shows more of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	19667  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #11

YoungKopernik. Regarding the axle flip. Did you do the flip or did you have a shop do it? If you did it please give us an idea about what if any special tools or tricks were needed, how many people, etc. Also what was the $24 expense for? Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Love the picture of the sunset on the beach! Where was it taken at?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #13

South Carlsbad State Beach. San Diego County, CA.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
Site Team

No longer it looked familiar - I have tent camped at South Carlsbad. Going back there in December for a few days but in a trailer this time.

Got to say it again but that's a great picture!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
Drinkin beer on the beach

tagged for updates on the axle flip
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
Explorer

Regaurds to info on axle flip: It was very easy with simple with basic tools, torque wrench and a welder. The $24 went to axle saddles bought from a loacal trailer shop. Now I thought you had to repace all Ubolts, do to stretching, but trailer shop said if they were in good shape use the old ones. The hardest part was jacking up high enough to get axle off the ground and putting in, good, jack stands. The most cridical part is getting those axle saddles located but with the old ones already there I located just opposite those, not so hard(messure, messure, tac, messure, finish weld, messure, clean and paint) This is nothing like locating saddles on a new axle which can make messuring x12. There are things like dropping one side of leaf and cutting brake electical on the one side. It only took me about 5 hours by myself well I do have a 8yr daughter who wants to help with every thing. Could have done it in 4hr but nothing like having help, I love it.
This all said, do not attempt this if your not sure of your skills or equipment/tools. Putting that camper up on stands and being under it is nerve racking, even though I did one axle at a time. Do not attempt to weld if your not up to it, this is a critical weld and needs good, good penetration.
Have fun, Good luck
Keep the shiny side up
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #17

Thanks for the feedback. I'm good with everything but the welding. Haven't done that in about 40 years when I got my certificate in 1974.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliamp View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm good with everything but the welding. Haven't done that in about 40 years when I got my certificate in 1974.
Word of caution, take one axle out at a time, mark the sides, clean the top of the old spring saddles real good so there is no dirt, etc. Grind all the paint off the top of the axle where the new saddle will sit. Remove all the paint from the new saddles where you will be welding. Place the new saddle directly above the old saddle and make sure the distance is the same at the front and the back. You can use "C" clamps to clamp the new saddle to the axle. Then you can tighten or loosen the clamps to make sure the new saddle is EXACTLY the same in the front as in the back. Then it is a matter of tacking and then welding. Just make sure that when you take the clamps off the saddles that the saddles do not move and remain parallel to the old saddle. This is critical as you do not want the saddles to not be parallel with the old one or with the ones on the other end. When you are finished, all 4 saddles on each axle should be parallel.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #19

What are the benefits for flipping the axles?

And why does not the manufacturer have this built this way to begin with?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Drinkin beer on the beach

Ground clearance for offroading, angled driveway transitions.

Some manufacturers do build em that way.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote