Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

Mod depth of slide

We are replacing our tri-fold sofa to either a recliner loveseat or two recliners. Our depth of our slide is only 33” and the recliner loveseat we really like says it needs 36 1/4” has anyone ever replaced and modified to make the new furniture work?
We were surprised when we took out the sofa how the sides at the bottom were cut to fit in the slide, therefore you need to put blocks under to sit on a floor.
Would appreciate any info or video suggestions.
PaJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Always Learning

If you extend the front of the slide floor, would it run into anything inside the camper?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

No!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Always Learning

Other than a step up to get to the sofa, I don't see any reason why you couldn't build up the slide floor to extend it forward so your sofa can sit on it.

I'd start with something like a 3/4" piece of plywood and test it to determine if that's sufficient or not.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

That sounds like it would work!! Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaJerry View Post
We are replacing our tri-fold sofa to either a recliner loveseat or two recliners. Our depth of our slide is only 33” and the recliner loveseat we really like says it needs 36 1/4” has anyone ever replaced and modified to make the new furniture work?
We were surprised when we took out the sofa how the sides at the bottom were cut to fit in the slide, therefore you need to put blocks under to sit on a floor.
Is the 36 1/4" in the recline position? Otherwise, you may need more distance to actually use it completely. A wall hugger design may be needed.

You also need to consider if you will add a lot of weight with 3/4" plywood and if the new furniture weighs more than the original sofa. An underfloor electric slide mechanism can handle more weight, but some of the other types may not do as well. You might also consider using a couple of 2x4's rather than plywood. With either option, it would be a good idea to attach the furniture to the wood or use another layer of carpet so the furniture doesn't bounce around while towing.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

That is true with the added weight the loveseat we want is about the same weight as the old. The company told us we need the 36 1/4 to attach to floor and it is a wall hugger need 3” at top so the bottom is probably out 8” so that leaves 25” so must attach in front in the additional 3 1/4”.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you extend the front of the slide floor, would it run into anything inside the camper?
I'm not familiar with the OPs slide but on mine the floor drops into a recess at the end of its travel, bringing it level with the floor. Mine could not be extended.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I'm not familiar with the OPs slide but on mine the floor drops into a recess at the end of its travel, bringing it level with the floor. Mine could not be extended.
If you're building on top of that, what would it hurt?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

No the slide goes straight out.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaJerry View Post
When getting ready to travel, turn the seats sideways. This will use less space and allow the slideout to fully close. We also have retaining straps around ours to stop them sliding about. One around the back rest for the restrainer strap to loop through and another strap looped through it and hooked with a spring catch to a ring screwed to the wall, then pulled tight.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide