Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Another concern I've got at this point, is after using a few times, how snug the two tubes will be....... if they stay snug, then the pin won't be needed, other than using it as a grab to retrieve 'em out of storage tube......aren't prototypes fun!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Another concern I've got at this point, is after using a few times, how snug the two tubes will be....... if they stay snug, then the pin won't be needed, other than using it as a grab to retrieve 'em out of storage tube......aren't prototypes fun!

Bob, pm sent
fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

With 2 tubes, they can be attached permanently if you add a hinge in the middle especially easy if you use square tubing, but can also be done with round emt.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
Left Coast

Now that you have just a few holes to drill and all that extra time and equipment gathering rust, maybe new job for the folks?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Now that you have just a few holes to drill and all that extra time and equipment gathering rust, maybe new job for the folks?
Not me, I'm retired again practicing doing nothing of which I am getting very proficient.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #26

On my de-flappers....the just used Velcro to attach. I just bought some industrial strength Velcro to make them longer
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
On my de-flappers....the just used Velcro to attach. I just bought some industrial strength Velcro to make them longer
With you living on the coast, in the sun belt, I would think a little more bracing would help. Electric awning?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Bob, you are right, that would mean working with shorter pieces and that could be more difficult to reach that top screw, so you may already have the best method for using your design...

us short people do have to improvise .......
You both are Taller than OC! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	81259  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #29
Left Coast

OR, your 7' tall!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #30

ok, this could be called a "mod -mod",...... with Bob's idea of a two piece telescoping design for his awning rod, he and I both spend yesterday tweaking this mod and the photos below will show what has changed, our two may not be exactly the same but I think they're very close,

we were working towards eliminating this:....removing, storing, installing, removing, storing, installing, ect......the change results in a permanent install, which can be easily swung into place when you want to use it, or left down if not and also for travel,......

again the parts are left un-painted for photo purposes, I did go to 5/16" threaded rod instead of the 1/4" screws and I will replace the regular nuts with ny-lok nuts for permanent install after painting,...and the wooden dowel is to show the travel pin position, once painted I will drill the trailer wall and do that permanent install as well,

just like before, I'm going to use two posts to show all the photos........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5343.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	81294   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5344.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	81295   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5345.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	81296   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5346.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	81297  
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #31

awning "mod-mod", post #2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5347.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	81298   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5348.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	81299   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5349.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	81300   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5351.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	81301   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5352.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	81302  

Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Y'all did good! I would still play with a hinge idea. LOL
Old 06-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Y'all did good! I would still play with a hinge idea. LOL
OC, I read the post about a hinge, but honestly I don't understand it,.....don't see how a hinge would improve, make stronger, or even make what we have now easier to use,..... not even exactly sure how it would be used?

in the maintenance shop the motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" , and I'm satisfied that now this mod ain't broke,....I think its time to stop on this one and move on to the next one,.....I know there's a next one, with a travel trailer, there's always a "next" one..........................
Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
OC, I read the post about a hinge, but honestly I don't understand it,.....don't see how a hinge would improve, make stronger, or even make what we have now easier to use,..... not even exactly sure how it would be used?

in the maintenance shop the motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" , and I'm satisfied that now this mod ain't broke,....I think its time to stop on this one and move on to the next one,.....I know there's a next one, with a travel trailer, there's always a "next" one..........................
The hinge would eliminate having to take the front pole off, absolutely nothing wrong with what you guys have done, I would just play with the hinge to see if it could be done. LOL
Old 06-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #35

Very nice.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #36
Left Coast

Only difference in our setups......I stayed with the enlarged eye bolt at outer end, letting it float in the eye, and at the trailer...the upper pivot pin that the awning arm is attached to,and pivots on, instead of adding another bolt, I removed that pin and added a few threads to a 3/8" ss bolt so that as lock nut was tightened it wouldn't pinch the track that the factory had installed to hold awning arms in place, used a standard nut tightened down to the end of threads, slid pole on, installed lock nut to retain post to pivot, and at the bottom, instead of making bracket and mounting to trailer side, I just drilled a 5/16" hole thru one side (the outer that the pole is on) of the factory guide that's factory bolted to trailer about 3" up from bottom, found a 5/16" bolt that didn't have a lot of thread but a long shank, cut the bolt head off, drilled a small hole for a hairpin at the outer end of bolt,rounded off cut shank to make a pin that, after drilling a matching hole in the sliding pole that would slip on to this pin and be retained by the hairpin....Confused? me too!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The hinge would eliminate having to take the front pole off, absolutely nothing wrong with what you guys have done, I would just play with the hinge to see if it could be done. LOL
After thinking about it a little more, the hinge will work for folding, BUT, it will NOT work for holding the de-flapper unless the hinge could be locked when in the deployed position as it would pivot up and down with the awning material. Another idea shot down! Such is life!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #38

Quote:
With you living on the coast, in the sun belt, I would think a little more bracing would help. Electric awning?
I made my awning poles which are adjustable or my electric awning. And very seldom use the de-flappers......only when it gets very windy.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #39

Nice mod and thank you OC for the pole kit. Works well. Got really tested last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #40

sitting in the campground right now and using both the awning de-flapper rail and also "The Claw" hold-down device for the first time,....am very pleased with both, .......the de-flapper rail is ever bit as easy to set up and as functional as I had hoped, maybe even more so,......"The Claw" is much easier to attach to the ground than the screw was, and I'm convinced it will hold stronger,.....

Tags
awning, modifications