Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
DW's 401(k) Plan

Modification: Rear Camera - Wider View

I've read some threads about hooking up the factory side and rear cameras to view all the time. But I'm wondering if anyone has devised a way to either use the existing rear camera on their unit, or used another camera so they can see PAST their toad (or trailer) and the surrounding area while traveling. Getting a wider view of what's happening around and past your trailer or toad.
Dash cams are great to record what YOU are seeing forward, but what about the idiot who may be texting as he's passing and drifts into your lane and hits your toad? I've been looking at some dash cams that also have a wired camera for the rear of a car - and some do have an extension cable available. On a regular tow vehicle, this may not be needed, but on a 32' motor home, it's going to be a necessity.
Any thoughts?

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

I don't think they are going to be necessity JMHO Why not mount a dash cam facing the rear? for the same angle of view you have out the front.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

X2 SeaDog, that's what I did, put a dash cam on the rear window.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
X2 SeaDog, that's what I did, put a dash cam on the rear window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't think they are going to be necessity JMHO Why not mount a dash cam facing the rear? for the same angle of view you have out the front.
That is an option, although I am hoping someone had used a dash cam with the optional rear camera (w/cord extension) to see what their experiences have been. Or something along those lines.
Most dash cams have the option of viewing as it is recording. In this case, if there are 2 cameras, a person should be able to also choose which camera they wanted to view. It would be nice to be able to view what was going on behind the motor home. With an individual dash cam at the rear window, this would not be possible, IMO. A person would have to wait until later to see how things were going.
I like the way my current rear camera allows me to check on the tow bar and the extreme front of the toad. I would just like to see what goes on around it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

I added a second rear camera next to my standard rear camera that has excellent night vision capabilities. One camera is angled down towards my bumper and the other for distance and traffic. This was done mainly because I travel solo without a "spotter."
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat