Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Modification to the sound system

This has been my winter modification to our 2011 Flagstaff 8528RKS Fithwheel. My wife was horrified when she saw me heading out with a sawall and some other tools in hand. It was time to upgrade the sound system. The zx700 was and still is a good unit but I was looking for more and better fidelity. So destruction the reconstruction was started. This is the finished product.

Before:

After:

I started with the ZX700. I relocated the ZX700 to the right of where it was as well as the Satelite receiver. I then rebuilt the cherry shelfs to accommodate the new electronics. This is what equipment was added:
Onkyo TXDS474 Receiver
Cambridge Soundworks M50 Main Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 8
Cambridge Soundworks MC300 Center Speaker
Polk RC6s rear Surround Sound Speakers
Philips DVP3040 DVD player
OSD Audio SSVC4 Speaker Control

With the OSD Speaker control I was able to have 2 inputs selection (zx700 or the Onkyo receiver) to the speakers. The control is great as it has impeadance matching and volume control for the main speakers, bedroom speakers and the outside speakers. This was a large improvement to the stock system. It was a challenge to find component to match the quality I was seeking and the space constraints they would be installed in. I have enjoyed Cambridge Sound Systems at home so thought I should try to keep what I was familiar with in the camper. All of the components were purchased from Craigslist used with the excepion of the OSD Audion Control. I could not find a used one and was forced to pay full price(I hate that!) I have also purchased a pair of outside speakers that I will replace once it gets a little warmer outside. To cap off the system I have purchased a Logitech Harmony 650 remote. This is the remote we use in our house and I find it a very easy remote to operate and it worked with all the equipment including the ZX700. The outside speakers have a few mounting challenges but I will post the results once I am done.
We really love the sound that this system produces.

Wally

More pictures of our modification can be found here:
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Looks sweet... how did you mount the rears? The only thing I can think of to upgrade your system would be digitize all your media and add a media player like WD-live or a Boxee Box then leave that DVD player at home.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Well today was a nice warm day in New England and I was able to work outside. I finished the replacement of the outdoor speakers. After removing the stock speakers I was faced with a 2" hole in the siding that would need to be covered and sealed to the weather. I went to Bed and BAth and picked up a small plastic cutting board. This would be cut and used as the block off for the holes and the mounting plate for the new speakers. I used white sealer to protect it from any moisture and 2 1/2" stainless bolts thru the side. Inside I made sure the bolts would end up inside the cabinets. This would hide the stainless fender washers and nylon lock nuts.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

If you're ever down in North Carolina, look me up an I might have a side job for you.
Nice job, awesome components. Better than my home stereo!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Coops1 to mount the rears I needed to enlarge the hole in the ceiling after removing the existing speakers. I think it was a 3" hole and needed to be about 5 1/2. The speakers came with a template. Cutting the ceiling made a big mess with the whit Styrofoam falling and sticking to everything. Once the hole was cut and cleaned up the speakers come with small mounting dogs that engage as soon as you turn the mounting screws. Very easy way to mount then. I used all the existing speaker wire as it seemed to be very adequate.
Wally
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

I was thinking this but figured the others around wouldn't.

Zeppelin Air iPod speaker system - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Looks like a great job..just an option if people are looking for a nice flush mount outdoor speaker...marine speakers would do the trick...
Nice upgrade all around...I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to upgrade my system eventually as well.

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
This has been my winter modification to our 2011 Flagstaff 8528RKS Fithwheel. My wife was horrified when she saw me heading out with a sawall and some other tools in hand. It was time to upgrade the sound system. The zx700 was and still is a good unit but I was looking for more and better fidelity. So destruction the reconstruction was started. This is the finished product.

Before:

After:

I started with the ZX700. I relocated the ZX700 to the right of where it was as well as the Satelite receiver. I then rebuilt the cherry shelfs to accommodate the new electronics. This is what equipment was added:
Onkyo TXDS474 Receiver
Cambridge Soundworks M50 Main Speakers
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 8
Cambridge Soundworks MC300 Center Speaker
Polk RC6s rear Surround Sound Speakers
Philips DVP3040 DVD player
OSD Audio SSVC4 Speaker Control

With the OSD Speaker control I was able to have 2 inputs selection (zx700 or the Onkyo receiver) to the speakers. The control is great as it has impeadance matching and volume control for the main speakers, bedroom speakers and the outside speakers. This was a large improvement to the stock system. It was a challenge to find component to match the quality I was seeking and the space constraints they would be installed in. I have enjoyed Cambridge Sound Systems at home so thought I should try to keep what I was familiar with in the camper. All of the components were purchased from Craigslist used with the excepion of the OSD Audion Control. I could not find a used one and was forced to pay full price(I hate that!) I have also purchased a pair of outside speakers that I will replace once it gets a little warmer outside. To cap off the system I have purchased a Logitech Harmony 650 remote. This is the remote we use in our house and I find it a very easy remote to operate and it worked with all the equipment including the ZX700. The outside speakers have a few mounting challenges but I will post the results once I am done.
We really love the sound that this system produces.

Wally

More pictures of our modification can be found here:

Wow!!!! Nice job....and quick too, by the clock on the wall it only took you 4 1/2 hours.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

Take a look at the side window, the first one is dark and the second one is daylight must have worked all night to get it done
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #10

what brand/size speakers did you use on the outside? how do they sound?
chilbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #11

The speakers are Cambridge Soundwork Newton Series Outdoor 42. There are much better speakers available but for the harsh road and salt spay and bouncing around I did not want to risk to much. I have not sat out for long listening to these because its still very cold but with the system I just installed they are 100% better that what was in place. Much crisper sound and they have more base than the stock set. I picked these up on Craigslist in a sealed box for $20 so I cant go wrong.
Wally
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

I would check marine speakers. JL audio make great ones and the sound is fantastic. They are pricey, but they are made for rain, salt, etc. I have them on my boat, and I am thinking about upgrading the speakers on my PT with them as well..

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Steve Jackson

Modification to Sound system

Is there an upgrade sold out there for the ZX700? Just bought a 2011 Flagstaff 829BHSS and to my surprise its not HD! Kind of a waste to have HD tv's in the camper and having the DVD hooked up with RCA jacks. I know the ZX700 does not have HDMI so I'm hoping they have an upgrade out there.
sideout1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #14

I believe the zx 800 has HDMI capability, surround and Bluetooth. Otherwise if you don't dry camp too often, a home HD DVD player will also work and save you some money.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Steve Jackson

Thanks Gaspeddler, do you know how to get the tv down of the mount? The tv in the bedroom is just on a V mount but I can't figure out how the big tv is mounted.
sideout1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #16

I know to remove my TV I hold both sides and slide straight up. Then the TV pulls out of the mount.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #17

My mods to the sound system was to take the fuse out. I figured that if I can hear the people that are walking by talking in a normal tone, I probably don't need a 225 watt surround sound. Anyway, we usually boondock and I am trying to eliminate any excess draw on the electrical system. But, whatever works for each individual, that's why we buy these things.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote