Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Modifications and personalizations

Making the bland camper a home (or home away from home for those of us that don't Ft yet) is one of my favorite things to do.

Here are some of the things I've done so far.

Bedroom TV Mounted and a little extra storage for clothes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OgF...ew?usp=sharing

Added some hat hooks above the windows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CB...ew?usp=sharing

Added a key hook and a thermometer to the side of the cabinet,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GSv...ew?usp=sharing

Added a magnetic NATO mount for the cell phone to sit on while being charged and a remote control holder for the TV over by the couches.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7D...ew?usp=sharing

Installed magnetic latches to the storage doors outside.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ic...ew?usp=sharing

Installed a hanger for the broom and dustpan in the bathroom behind the door.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qeM...ew?usp=sharing

Bought an electronic fireplace and a little storage unit for under the cabinet inside the door.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z2A...ew?usp=sharing

Mounted a squeegee holder in the shower.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bz2...ew?usp=sharing

Bath towel and wash cloth holder mounted behind the toilet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18EF...ew?usp=sharing

TV mounted on an articulating arm along with a clock, Paper towel holder and a little reminder sign!

Now we just need winter to hurry up and end and we can get back out doing what we love!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaA...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #2

Thanks, very nice additions!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Ben f

Looks great!
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Making the bland camper a home (or home away from home for those of us that don't Ft yet) is one of my favorite things to do.

Here are some of the things I've done so far.
[/url]
Hey CincyGus,

I have been thread stocking you for an hour now ha. We purchased a 23pack15 last month. I have been starring out it our in the drive anxiously waiting winter to be over. I am a bit overwhelmed by this beast coming from a a 2010 26' toyhauler that was used to be wen we got it. It was time to upgrade.

I have been loving reading what you have done to yours already as it is a lot of what I want to do. I was minutes away from buying a 32" tv for the main room per the salesmans recommendation and the more I looked I knew it could be bigger. ours already has that small plastic easy to move the tv mount installed that allows you to move the TV to the outside on the side and all that. Did you replace that or did you not have a mount? I have some questions if you wouldn't mind.

- Do you have any pics of your TV install in the bedroom? What mount did you use and how'd you install it?
- For the thing you have installed on the walls like the towel holders, toilet paper holder, etc. how are you mounting them and what hardware are you using? Ours seems to have fairly thin not so sturdy walls so I would love to learn about that.
- what is the squeegie for in the shower and did you just screw that into the shower wall?

Thanks for your help and replies thus far. I have had fun reading your posts on the camper thus far. You encouraged me to sign up today

P.S. We are in southern Columbus, just a hop from you.
solar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

Hello Solar07,

Glad to help. For both the TV's, I bought articulating mounts from monoprice.com. I don't have additional pictures but can get some for you at some point, maybe next weekend. The main thing was finding studs using a stud finder to make sure I got in solidly to something that would take the stress of the TV. I have bungee cords to secure while traveling and keep them snugly folded up. I'm a believer in the articulating arms making it so much easier to make connections and not having to do yoga to reach that 3rd HDMI cable if I decide to drag a DVD player along for a longer trip.

I made sure to buy mounts that were vertical spacing on the screws so I could stay in the same stud. I did not utilize the outside mount as I figured if it was something I had to watch, I'd go inside or watch from the party deck. I'm a big fan of being outside and listening on Sirius is just fine by me so I wasn't worried about losing that capability. If I change my mind down the road, as cheap as TV's are, I'll likely just go get a 20 something inch and mount it with the outside mount and put it back in the box for travel.

The towel holders and, key rack, toilet paper holders, etc. I again always try to find a stud when placement isn't critical. Usually the edges of the cabinets have 1"x1" framing or better. I used that for the paper towel holder, key rack. I generally use 1" or 3/4" self tapping stainless screws. The 3/4" are for outside walls as a safeguard to not puncture the outside fiberglass and the 1" for interior walls.

If I can't find a stud in the area I have to mount something, if it's a light object, I will use the little plastic wall anchors and screws or the command strips although I had some issues getting the command strip product to work in the bedroom due to the walls having some sort of coating on them.

Lastly, the squeegee is just for cleaning the water off the glass shower doors and it's holder is actually a shampoo holder I think. It's mounted with suction cups.

Feel free to ask away if you come into something you want a second opinion on. Nice to have a few folks on that have the same model that you can bounce idea's or questions off of.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

Thanks sir. I would love some additional pics if it isnt too much bother. Id like to see how you set it up and conjunction to where to door is. I am hoping not to cover the door any.

Did you use the same mount in the room as you did in the living space? Wasn't sure if there was a specific model and sized arm you used from monoprice?

Thanks again. I just replied to your post in general talk too for some direction on how you did your water pump and fill tube Thanks in advance for your info on that thread too.

P.s. are you able to use a stud finder on these or you just feeling for them?

Quote:
Hello Solar07,

Glad to help. For both the TV's, I bought articulating mounts from monoprice.com. I don't have additional pictures but can get some for you at some point, maybe next weekend. The main thing was finding studs using a stud finder to make sure I got in solidly to something that would take the stress of the TV. I have bungee cords to secure while traveling and keep them snugly folded up. I'm a believer in the articulating arms making it so much easier to make connections and not having to do yoga to reach that 3rd HDMI cable if I decide to drag a DVD player along for a longer trip.

I made sure to buy mounts that were vertical spacing on the screws so I could stay in the same stud. I did not utilize the outside mount as I figured if it was something I had to watch, I'd go inside or watch from the party deck. I'm a big fan of being outside and listening on Sirius is just fine by me so I wasn't worried about losing that capability. If I change my mind down the road, as cheap as TV's are, I'll likely just go get a 20 something inch and mount it with the outside mount and put it back in the box for travel.

The towel holders and, key rack, toilet paper holders, etc. I again always try to find a stud when placement isn't critical. Usually the edges of the cabinets have 1"x1" framing or better. I used that for the paper towel holder, key rack. I generally use 1" or 3/4" self tapping stainless screws. The 3/4" are for outside walls as a safeguard to not puncture the outside fiberglass and the 1" for interior walls.

If I can't find a stud in the area I have to mount something, if it's a light object, I will use the little plastic wall anchors and screws or the command strips although I had some issues getting the command strip product to work in the bedroom due to the walls having some sort of coating on them.

Lastly, the squeegee is just for cleaning the water off the glass shower doors and it's holder is actually a shampoo holder I think. It's mounted with suction cups.

Feel free to ask away if you come into something you want a second opinion on. Nice to have a few folks on that have the same model that you can bounce idea's or questions off of.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
Thanks sir. I would love some additional pics if it isnt too much bother. Id like to see how you set it up and conjunction to where to door is. I am hoping not to cover the door any.

Did you use the same mount in the room as you did in the living space? Wasn't sure if there was a specific model and sized arm you used from monoprice?

Thanks again. I just replied to your post in general talk too for some direction on how you did your water pump and fill tube Thanks in advance for your info on that thread too.

P.s. are you able to use a stud finder on these or you just feeling for them?
I'll see if I can't snap some this weekend for you.

Funny you mention not covering the door. I original bought a bigger tv for the bedroom but ending up selling it to a friend because it was too big for how close we were to it and it also hung in the bathroom doorway in storage mode when it wasn't tilted in the corner for actually watching. Downsized and now it's great. I'll get you the sizes when I go take pics of the mounts this weekend. I believe the mounts were the same but let me double check that. May even be able to provide a link once I get pics.

Last, yes, I used a stud finder (a good once with a deep search) and a quick tap to identify where I had studs. I also used the if there are staples running vertically there or the sheets of paneling meet there, then it's a seam logic to find them. They generally are pretty close to 16" on center on the longer walls but you have to measure and figure out which corner they started from. Usually from the outside wall in on interior walls but not always.

I'll post pics here this weekend and maybe even links to the mounts if I can track them down.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
I'll see if I can't snap some this weekend for you.

Funny you mention not covering the door. I original bought a bigger tv for the bedroom but ending up selling it to a friend because it was too big for how close we were to it and it also hung in the bathroom doorway in storage mode when it wasn't tilted in the corner for actually watching. Downsized and now it's great. I'll get you the sizes when I go take pics of the mounts this weekend. I believe the mounts were the same but let me double check that. May even be able to provide a link once I get pics.

Last, yes, I used a stud finder (a good once with a deep search) and a quick tap to identify where I had studs. I also used the if there are staples running vertically there or the sheets of paneling meet there, then it's a seam logic to find them. They generally are pretty close to 16" on center on the longer walls but you have to measure and figure out which corner they started from. Usually from the outside wall in on interior walls but not always.

I'll post pics here this weekend and maybe even links to the mounts if I can track them down.
I appreciate you very much. Thanks for taking the time. I look forward to the pics and if you find the mount info that would be awesome. If you are able, maybe snag me a few pics of how you did your water pump I have been looking around for some rubber to use. No luck so I may just try to get some insulator's and make due.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #9

As Promised, here are some pics of my TV mounts in the living room and bedroom. Both are the same mount. Very oversized for the bedroom TV but I liked the simplicity of the mount, that it folded flat and would fit.

This mount articulates and tilts up/down which is a big deal to get the correct angle since they are mounted up higher than you will be sitting in the living room of laying in bed. Also selected them because they mount with bolts directly above and below each other on the top and bottom of the wall mounting portion, meaning I only had to find one stud.

[IMG] Click For Full-Size Image.[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Here's one of them folded flat for travel.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #11

I added 1" strapping to mine that way when on the road the strapping holds it from moving . i have a 42" so used 2 vertical and 2 horizontal straps with snap buckles works great
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #12

Yep, Definitely need to strap them. I have a tennis ball shaped can of flat fabric covered bungee cords I bought at Harbor Freight that I'm going to use. Won't mar the TV and will make sure those articulating arms that make it so easy for me to hook things up, don't extended and put so much pressure on the mounting bolts that the TV comes off the wall. I've used these mounts previous in a camper and never had them move or had any issues but always strapped it. Safe than sorry!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Yep, Definitely need to strap them. I have a tennis ball shaped can of flat fabric covered bungee cords I bought at Harbor Freight that I'm going to use. Won't mar the TV and will make sure those articulating arms that make it so easy for me to hook things up, don't extended and put so much pressure on the mounting bolts that the TV comes off the wall. I've used these mounts previous in a camper and never had them move or had any issues but always strapped it. Safe than sorry!
CincyGus we just bought a 23pack15 pick up Fri. Was wondering how big of a TV fits in that space and if you used the mount that came with your trailer?
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
As Promised, here are some pics of my TV mounts in the living room and bedroom. Both are the same mount. Very oversized for the bedroom TV but I liked the simplicity of the mount, that it folded flat and would fit.

This mount articulates and tilts up/down which is a big deal to get the correct angle since they are mounted up higher than you will be sitting in the living room of laying in bed. Also selected them because they mount with bolts directly above and below each other on the top and bottom of the wall mounting portion, meaning I only had to find one stud.

I guess I really did get the "entry level" as mine didn't in any way come with stone covered walls...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #15

Thanks I just looked at page 1. you did a great job with your mods. I'll be stealing some but keep you posted so I don't get into any paten trouble lol.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Where or how are you connecting the straps?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:59 AM   #17

Using PAD EYE's

https://www.e-rigging.com/three-sixt...BoComcQAvD_BwE

Attach them to a stud or studs on the sides you want to run the bungee cord across to and from.

https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of...rds-93672.html

These are not the exact ones I bought but give you the idea. I bought a little clear plastic canister of about 8-10 but the cords were flat, like shoe laces but wider and fabric covered like these.

I use them to secure all kinds of stuff for travel.

Around cabinet door handles to keep them from coming open during travel.
I wrap one around those funky emergency window levers to keep it from popping out of the lock and opening when going down the road (which happened to me once).
Securing TV's from moving away from the wall on the articulating mounts I have them on is one of the most important jobs I give them.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #18

CincyGus
Nice job on TV mount. I just bought the 26 FKBS so far i love it but have only hung out in the driveway waiting for winter to end. I will be going out on first trip in 3 weeks. My wife and i are thinking of sleeping next weekend in the trailer to try things out. Not sure we are going to de winterize it though being in Massachusetts winter is not over until end of April.
Techi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by msroll View Post
CincyGus we just bought a 23pack15 pick up Fri. Was wondering how big of a TV fits in that space and if you used the mount that came with your trailer?
Sorry, I missed your question earlier. I just went out and measured for ya. The Main Living room TV is 40" Diagonally. I believe it was a 39" Visio with a very narrow bezel. Got it at Sam's Club back in the fall. Fit's wonderfully.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Here are the flat fabric covered Bungee cords I described earlier in the thread.

Lastly, Here is the TV I downsized to for the bedroom. Tried to put a 32" in there and was just way too big to get around the bed on that side and frankly too big to watch from such a close distance. Who knew there was such a thing!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6164815
Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I guess I really did get the "entry level" as mine didn't in any way come with stone covered walls...
Actually that is a really hi definition wall paper. Looks really good and fools a lot of people.

Tags
cat, modifications