Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Modifications to Roo 182 part 2

8. Installed a Honeywell thermostat. It is very accurate and works well. You have to get one that is battery operated. I bought this one because it was black.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	53959

9. The only time we use the TV is during the rain. With only two speakers inside and non even close to the dinette you can't hear it. I ordered two speakers from forest river and installed one by the side bunk and made it speaker B with the one mounted on the bathroom wall. I installed another above the dinette and made it speaker A with the one above the sink. They are not great speakers but the sound quality is 10 times better now that we have stereo.

Name:	IMG_2809.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	53957 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2810.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	53958

10. I saw this in the forum this year and could not sleep until I did it. I don't know how I missed it before, thanks olwalker. I installed a drawer in the cabinet between the front bunk and door. I followed olwalker's instructions and pictures. I ordered the drawer front from forever river and made a plywood drawer and mounted it on slides. I moved the electrical outlet to the bed side, much better location.

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	53960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	53961

11. We love the dark cherry cabinets of our Roo, but they are impossible to see in at night. I installed LED lights in all the lower cabinets, pantry and the upper above the sink. I ran all my wires through the channels in the floor that forest river runs their wires. I ran all the way to the fuse panel, connected to an open fuse and installed a 2 amp fuse. I grounded to the grounding block behind the fuse panel. I connected the lights to form C magnetic contacts and installed them on and above the doors. The lights automatically go on when the door is open and off when they are closed. Because I powered them directly from the fuse panel they work on battery or through the inverter when on shore power.

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	53963Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2820.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	53964
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
zoomer32ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Great Mods! does the speaker you installed in the overhead storage thingy go all the way through? I know the cabinets are double layered bottoms but not sure on the open storage shelf.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

No, the speaker is mounted in the 1 1/2 inch space (double layered bottom) under the overhead open storage. All the upper cabinets and open storage have (double layered bottoms). From the dinette I ran straight to the stereo without having to drill any holes (Only the hole for the speaker). To get above the side bunk I had to drill through 5/8 inch side panel of the stereo cabinet. I drilled directly into the space under the storage from behind the stereo.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

Time to do some more wiring in my Roo. When you find a mod for more counter space, let me know I love the cabinet door lights. Probably going to be my first! Great post. Do you just snake under the floor boards I assume? Haven't been able to figure that out yet.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Yes, if you look behind the false backs of the cabinets you should see where they run all the wires for water heater, awning, etc. I just snaked a 14/2 wire through then pulled my 16 gauge
wire through.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #6

Is there a trick to getting between the space at the bottom of the cabinets?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

Not really, I could feel that it was clearly hollow, I could not feel any obstacles that would prevent me from getting the wires to the ends of the cabinets. When I pulled the radio I had direct access to the space above the dinette and just feed my wire down to the end of the cabinet before I cut the hole for the speaker.

To get into the space for the overhead storage I had to drill a hole through the 5/8 inch cabinet side. I did that behind the radio and into the space. Again I feed my wire to where I wanted the speaker before I cut the hole.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
Great Mods! does the speaker you installed in the overhead storage thingy go all the way through? I know the cabinets are double layered bottoms but not sure on the open storage shelf.
No, the speaker is mounted in the 1 1/2 inch space (double layered bottom) under the overhead open storage. All the upper cabinets and open storage have (double layered bottoms). From the dinette I ran straight to the stereo without having to drill any holes (Only the hole for the speaker). To get above the side bunk I had to drill through 5/8 inch side panel of the stereo cabinet. I drilled directly into the space under the storage from behind the stereo.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Is there a trick to getting between the space at the bottom of the cabinets?
Not really, I could feel that it was clearly hollow, I could not feel any obstacles that would prevent me from getting the wires to the ends of the cabinets. When I pulled the radio I had direct access to the space above the dinette and just feed my wire down to the end of the cabinet before I cut the hole for the speaker.

To get into the space for the overhead storage I had to drill a hole through the 5/8 inch cabinet side. I did that behind the radio and into the space. Again I feed my wire to where I wanted the speaker before I cut the hole.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Time to do some more wiring in my Roo. When you find a mod for more counter space, let me know I love the cabinet door lights. Probably going to be my first! Great post. Do you just snake under the floor boards I assume? Haven't been able to figure that out yet.
Yes, if you look behind the false backs of the cabinets you should see where they run all the wires for water heater, awning, etc. I just snaked a 14/2 wire through then pulled my 16 gauge wire through.
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Thanks for your input zoomer. I'm looking forward to personalizing my trailer a little more.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Who did you speak with at Forest River to order the drawer front? We have tried emailing them multiple times to order a drawer front so we could do the same thing and no one ever responds to us.
midnight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

Modifications to Roo 182 part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight1 View Post
Who did you speak with at Forest River to order the drawer front? We have tried emailing them multiple times to order a drawer front so we could do the same thing and no one ever responds to us.

I contacted Sheri Dunlap in parts. I have included below her contact information. You will need to provide her with your VIN number.

Sheri Dunlap
Parts Coordinator – Forest River, Millersburg
Rockwood – Roo / MiniLite / UltraLite
(Emails may be in all CAPS, please do not be offended)

sdunlap@forestriverinc.com
(574) 642-8940 direct number
(574) 343-5947 direct fax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2014 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #14

Thanks. I am going to try her.
midnight1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modifications, roo