Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Mods and your warranty

Will be picking up our new Roo 23IKSS this week and thanks to a winter of reading posts on this forum I have a pretty long list of Mods I plan to do:-)

Question I have is... what Mods threaten to void your warranty?

I plan to:
Add Progressive Industry hardwired EMS (of course need to cut main wiring)
Add larger battery tray to tongue. (bolt to frame or maybe just clamp)
Add the fence post stinky slinky holder (screw mounting straps to the frame?) (I plan to use the bumper tube to hold a knockdown ladder)

Lots more smaller stuff also but these are the ones that I can see might touch on warranty covered important stuff.

Does anyone know what the FR policy is on these types of mods? Do I need to have a dealer do some to avoid warranty questions in the future?

2015 Roo 23IKSS
2016 F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
Kanga99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
The Moss-Magnuson Act ( forbids manufacturers from denying warranty service simply because you modified your property. From that link, "... The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. ..."

That said, it could lead to hassles. In my opinion you should be most careful about changes that might result in leaks. You'd want to, anyway, for your own benefit, but sources of leaks can be hard to detect. If it's anywhere near your modification that might conceivably cause water penetration, it might be hard to defend against.

Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited 4x2
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
As long as you don't drill, weld, cut, alter or look at the frame I think you'll be fine!
TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
In today's digital world it is easy to keep a picture file of all the work you do to your rig. I have done that since day one. Shows how I installed an option and I also keep track of the cost. It is also good for insurance purposes to prove the add ons made. If a dispute comes up you can pull up your file and ask how the work could be in dispute.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

warranty, modifications