Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #1

Mods for slides...

we have a Forest River Salem with a superslide and a smaller bedroom slide, ours works where the smaller slides 1st then the front big slide. we can get by the front slide to get to the bathroom at stops, but since the slide does work on a hydraulic/cable system, I just bought some small chain (a little bigger than "dog chain") about 5' in length, and attached it with some quick connects to the slide frame and main trailer frame to keep the back slide from extending if i dont want it to, basically the system thinks the back slide is out, so the PSI from the pump makes the larger slide go out and the Smaller one stays in. when im done, it takes 3 seconds to take the chain off the quick disconnects and toss it it the storage bin..
Cost:: $12 all from walmart...

There is always that time that You find that camping spot you cant extend 1 of the slides all the way out, so I devised this chain system to keep the slide from going out too far or not at all if we dont want it to...

does anyone know if this actually hurts the slide system? does it hurt the slide if its only partially out or in during short time use? wise or not wise to use?

any ideas out there?
Thanks !!
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #2

As it's a hydraulic system the chain idea sounds good to me. I worked a lot with hydraulics on tractors and farm equipment years ago and there is/should always be a path for the hydraulic fluid to travel when the device encounters resistance or over pressure. I don't know much about RV hydraulics though I assume the same principle applies.

As far as having a slide partially in/out. Damage could occur to the slide. I wouldn’t use it in a partially deployed position and very limitedly in the “in” position. The slides are meant to be either in or out, not in-between. When partially deployed, the slide is not in its most stable position. Excessive rocking, floor buckling, and other motions may damage the floor and/or the extension/retraction mechanism.

My thoughts only. Others may chime in.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
RAC

I would tend to agree with Greg on this one. The flow of the hyd. fluid should be controlled by a solenoid or a 2 way valve. when the swith is on, the solenoid should open, so it shouldn't matter which direction the fluid flows, as it will seek a place to accumulate. If you actually notice the travel of the slide, you will see when it is partially deployed, it will rock on edge. I would think at this point it is in its most vulnerable position for warping or twisting, therefore causing the edge not to seal properly when fully extended or closed.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I've watched too many guys under their units manually extending the slide to screw with it, but somewhere in here I posted the link to Lippert Systems Inc; they make the slides for FR and offer great manuals for all their systems. And if you are not sure which one is yours, a quick email to them and they'll forward the right one to you. Just in case you want to check on whether the chained-in mod voids any warranties. good idea though.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #5

ours was ordered with small manual valve. if i tighten down the knobs i can control each room separtely
i would second lippert having em, and i would also say tractor supply or any hydraulic place can set you up with a manual valve