Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #1

Mod's I would like to do

Owner of a ‘new’ 2010 Wildcat 28RKBS and am looking at two possible modifications.

When we parted company with our big SOB that included a fireplace the DW really liked. The first mod is to look into the possibility of installing a fireplace under TV. I know the one electrical outlet and gas sensor would have to be moved, but wondering what else is behind the panel. Further has anyone done this?

The second has to do with the hydraulic slides. Where we park the cat, beside the house, I can’t open the bedroom slide without hitting the roof overhang. Just wondering if it would be possible to somehow separate the slide operations, so that I could open the main slide without opening the bedroom. Something like installing valves on the lines to the bedroom so it could be isolated from the main slide.

Thoughts are appreciated.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJnLilly
Owner of a ‘new’ 2010 Wildcat 28RKBS and am looking at two possible modifications.

When we parted company with our big SOB that included a fireplace the DW really liked. The first mod is to look into the possibility of installing a fireplace under TV. I know the one electrical outlet and gas sensor would have to be moved, but wondering what else is behind the panel. Further has anyone done this?

The second has to do with the hydraulic slides. Where we park the cat, beside the house, I can’t open the bedroom slide without hitting the roof overhang. Just wondering if it would be possible to somehow separate the slide operations, so that I could open the main slide without opening the bedroom. Something like installing valves on the lines to the bedroom so it could be isolated from the main slide.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Should be able to put a shut off valve inline on the bedroom slide but I would check with your dealer to ask them if it's possible.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

I believe you have hyd slides, if so a trip to the hyd store and buy a valve with however many valves as you have slides. My Sanibel has a 3 port valve, turn off the one you do not want to work.

Wayne
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

I see on LCi's site that a two position valve set for $203! Think I can find something better. Problem with a 'local hyd store' is what size threads do I need nd what pressure.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Form another forum it appears that the LCi valve set at $203 is the only way I can go. apparently the system is 'daisy chained' and you just can't put valves in one line.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Call customer service, I cannot see anything over 2000 psi with the hyd pump they installed. Get the model number off the pump and google it, On my Sanibel the is a three station valve to close off any slide. Most systems are very simple which ever slide moves easier moves first. How many hoses are routed to your pump? If only one there is probaly a tee somewhere in the system. How about a pic of the pump area. I replaced my valve assembly with a 4 port block for 40.00. I did not like the block/valve assembly installed at the factory. It was rated for 3500 psi with 1/4 national pipe ports. From what I have seen most slides are on # 4 hose with jic fittings. At worst you could install a valve on the extend side of the slide you do not want to operate.
Good luck

Wayne
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Travelin Man

can you get to the hose up under the bed in the bedroom, if so maybe you could install a shut off there the keep the slide from going out. I just used 1/4 inch shut offs from the hardware store on the hydraulic hose in our 5th wheel we had before this one. but then it didnt have the same type of system as our wildcat has so i cant do it on this one.
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #8

Well the fireplace will have to wait - no time before heading south. DW saw and bought a 'franklin stove' electric heater which we will use for now. It sets nicely below the TV - do have to move it to bring in the slide.

So far I've added the 5X5 PVC posts under the unit to carry the sewer hoses and connections. Was not too hard of a task and it keeps the hoses out of the bumper where they get scared and then the bumper gets rusty.

Found a way to install an inside electrical switch for the hot water tank. This way we can leave the tank switch 'on' and control it from the new switch adjacent to the propane switch under the sink.

Also reinforced that sheet of plywood under the bed. Just added some ripped 1X3's to span from one side to the other. The center 'sag" is now gone.

Just today I cut out a section of the closet wall and found a perfect spot to keep our 'lock box' and have some added storage for some things you don't need often. It was a tight fit working in the closet, but now just have to add the 'door' for the opening.

As for the slide shut-off, am looking for the right valve. next week will drop by a hydraulic shop in town and see what they can come up with. Discussed the issue with a number of folks and the consensus is it can be done.

While working in the chilly unit today decided to work on still another mod. In our 28RKBS main slide there are now 110 outlets. Makes it difficult to have a reading lamp or to plug in the laptop. Have to figure a way to get 110 to the slide. Any ideas on this are appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

Installed the shutoff valve on the bedroom slide. Works great and allows us to open only the main slide if we want. As noted earlier, where we park the unit at home, the bedroom could not be opened without hitting the roof overhang. Cost about 1/4 of what Lippert wanted for the parts.