Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Mopeka LPG Tank Check on Horizontal Tank

I purchased a Mopeka tank check to install on my 2401R since neither of my gauges agree with each other and having the low level warning sounded like a great idea.

I thought when I first purchased it I could just Zip tie it to the tank and all would be well but once it arrived I found that really wasn't going to work well at all. Fortunately I own a 3d printer and was able to print up an adapter that made attaching it to the tank easy and helped protect it at the same time.

Can't wait to get back out camping and see how well this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts-2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	159675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	159676  
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

I may be all wet here, but I believe the sensors are calibrated to a 20# tank and are supposed to be mounted on the bottom of one. I was going to invest in them as well, but after talking to Mopeka ... learned that they were calibrated to a 20# tank and I have 30's. Mopeka said it would work, but the 30# tank would show full longer than it really was. Too much money for kinda sorta know the tank level.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Does that zip tie go over the relief valve on that tank?
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

As far as I know that was for the external monitor which was updated to allow monitoring of 20/30/40# tanks. I just purchased a single sensor and use my cell phone which is the only way to monitor a horizontal tank. It may not be dead accurate but it will let me know when it's time to refill before I run out.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieHunter View Post
Does that zip tie go over the relief valve on that tank?
It does go over it but its not interfering or touching it and it's easy enough to cut it off if necessary.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Mine just connects to the bottom of each tank with magnets. Works fine.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Mine just connects to the bottom of each tank with magnets. Works fine.
Glad to hear it, I found on mine that with the rounded bottom the contact was not very good and trying to use a zip strap to secure it cocked the sensor and gave me bad readings.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

A dab of petroleum jelly on the sensor helps ensure a good connection. I found that centering the sensor "exactly" on the bottom of the curve on the horizontal tank is important for good readings.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

This is the second post this week I found talking gas tanks, change over valves. and gauges. What ever happened to the good old days of using our brains and keeping it simple. Two tanks, one goes empty, pilot light goes out. Remove the empty, change over valve, light the pilot, we're done. How did I get to be 66 years old without electronic gadgets how did my mom to it to 82!!!! I'm done.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
This is the second post this week I found talking gas tanks, change over valves. and gauges. What ever happened to the good old days of using our brains and keeping it simple. Two tanks, one goes empty, pilot light goes out. Remove the empty, change over valve, light the pilot, we're done. How did I get to be 66 years old without electronic gadgets how did my mom to it to 82!!!! I'm done.
I hear ya cavie. We got one of those robotic vacuum cleaners for Christmas. Now all I have to do is tell Alexa to start the thing and off it goes.

Aint technology grand???
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #11

LP Tank gauge

A little warm water on the tank in the morning, see where the frost line is. Most accurate gauge of them all.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

I have installed this in my 2502KS as well, have 2 30# tanks and just followed the installation instructions. Make sure the magnets are underneath on the center of the tanks . I use the monitor in my unit to check levels and it works just fine. I thought of using my cell phone but decided that wasn’t the best application for me. I do respect the post that mentioned just using common sense and switching tanks when one was empty, but sometimes common sense isn’t applied .
tandum3745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

One LP tank seems to run out at the wrong time, early in the morning when it’s cold outside. If I know one tank is getting low I may take the tank out to get the tank refilled when it’s convenient or cheaper.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #14

I live full time and have 5 30 lbs tanks. I have the sensors on mine. When one gets empty and it auto switches I go out and replace the empty one. When 4 get empty I go get them refilled. Have been using the sensors for 18 months and they work great.
I have five sensors, two on me 38EL, two one my Toyhauler and one on my gas grill. I had an issue with two of the sensors last summer. I called them and they had me mail them back. They found the issue and replaced them at no charge. Great customer service. I would not be without them.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #15

I have one that I can’t get to work, I have changed the battery. I’ll call the company
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #16

That is same issue I had. Said they had Been crushed. I had the rubber feet then, when they sent me the new ones they included the new aluminum feet at no charge also.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, tank