Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

MorRyde Step Above install

I read a previous post regarding these steps, but due to thread age I could not post a reply, so new thread.

Just installed the steps. So easy, less than 30 minutes. The DW and I love them.
OK, now the install issues (minor).
Like a previous post, my doors are a bit tight when the steps are down causing the screen door to ride up enough to hit at the top corner and have to slam to secure it. Tried adjusting the striker already.
On mine I can see the hinge plate hitting the small lip on the threshold. Me thinks I may file the lip down to see if that helps. Also I will see if the provided screws are hitting the plate and address that if necessary.

Would I do this again??....in a heartbeat.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

I've been looking at these and the Solid steps and both seem pretty straight forward to install. I'm waiting on a sale though since I have two sets to replace on the Sandpiper 379FLOK. Its weird that it came with four steps in the front but only 3 on the rear door. The last step on that door is way up. Do you have any issues with the adjustable legs being in the way of foot traffic?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #3

My legs are not in the way. I am thinking of drilling another hole to allow further extension as my trailer is 36 inches ground to threshold and the 3 steps still have a bit of an angle.
I bought mine at RVautoparts.com $214 delivered.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

Our 2018 Surveyor 267RBSS came with those steps and we absolutely love them, the stability is awesome.....
Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the info I will check them out.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #6

Step above install report

I too added the Step Above to my 5th wheel. Install was easy but the doors were too tight. Talked to Morryde and they reported some owners cut down the doors.
I had to remove about 3/8 from the bottom of the screen door (cut down the sides) and ground an aluminum lip on the bottom of the door. I also removed a rough strip glued to the StepAbove. Doors now close, albeit tight, but close they do.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #7

I had a little bit of room to play with so I just unscrewed the screen door and remounted it a smidget higher.

Also be forewarned if you have the step legs slightly high it will cause the door / screen to bind. Best to lay the steps down with out pins and adjust the legs while they are free floating to the desired height.
Hope that makes some sense.
265bhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #8

These steps look great! What do you do when it is rainy and nasty outside and you need to stow them?

Thanks,

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

That's one of the down sides I found. But I still think the stability is worth it.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Nailz;1884974]These steps look great! What do you do when it is rainy and nasty outside and you need to stow them?

Thanks,

Ha! Thats a good point. Did not think of that till your post.

Have to come up with a solution, because we just went to look at our new 2109S yesterday and were surprised that it has the Mor ryde entry steps.

Im guessing, fold em up, let em drip off a bit, wipe em down a bit and have some kind of weatherproof floor mat inside and under them somehow to catch the drips...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Bringing dirt, etc into the rig was my concern when I first saw these. But the stability factor outweighs wiping down the steps if necessary.
Just came back from a 3 week trip and the first using the steps. The DW really likes the fact that they extend a bit further out from the coach and much more stable.
Planning a trip this fall, we shall see in more in climate weather.
Would we do again? Definite YES.
Also added the Stromberg Carlson extended handle. Less of a reach now.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #12

Floor mat might work. I am probably overthinking it. I just worry about any moisture in the RV. The regular steps are kind of precarious for us. I do wish they were more solid feeling and the last step can vary with the campsite. Good to have options and the feedback from folks here.

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

I’m keeping my old steps on my Cedar Creek. If I was going to replace them I might look at the Glow steps but I would probably just keep what we have. The step we have work great for us. I personally don’t like the step above steps. If I was looking to buy another camper and I couldn’t put the steps I have now then I would look at another camper. If you like the steps that’s great I don’t like them but everyone is different
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
New steps also

I am on my second year with my new MorRyde steps that were installed on
my Rockwood Fifth wheel. What a improvement on the old steps.

They were installed at the rally free when I purchased the steps. The installer
also had to remove the screen door to remove about 3/8" from the bottom.
Very simple to remove the screen door, remove bottom, trim each side from
door frame with hacksaw, reinstall bottom strip.

Great steps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW STEPS.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	181702  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
These steps look great! What do you do when it is rainy and nasty outside and you need to stow them?

Thanks,

C
To us, that's a major drawback and the reason we would never consider them. Will keep our TorkLift revolution steps, the dirt, etc stays outdoors.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
To us, that's a major drawback and the reason we would never consider them. Will keep our TorkLift revolution steps, the dirt, etc stays outdoors.
I was unaware of the TorkLift steps as an option. See I can learn new things! LOL.

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post

Thanks,

C
We have a door mat that lives under them when they are folded up. I guess if it's really bad we'd have to wipe them down with a towel and maybe lay it under them while we traveled??
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We have these steps that came new with our trailer. IMO, they are poorly thought out and designed. The tabs on the steps that go against the screen door frame do not allow the screen door or outside door to close properly when the steps are stowed. The screen door is unable to seat against the frame and this causes the screen door hings to bulges outward and ultimately loosen the hinge attachment to the screen door; resulting in a sloppy loose screen door. The tabs also then do not allow the bottom of the outside door to fully close when the steps are stowed. There is some much pressure on the outside door latch that my wife is unable to open the outside door.

I finally had to bend the screen door frame inward to accomodate those tabs.

Very Rube Goldberg and poorly designed.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #19

While I might not be as descriptive as the previous poster immediately above, I pretty much agree with him. If you don't retract the legs, the door binds / gets damaged. If you DO retract the legs, the space between them and the door causes damage to the screen.

A great idea, but poorly executed, and I'm ripping mine out for the traditional type, once my trailer gets back from the dealer (hopefully, by EOW)

Note that there are *two* versions FR is currently installing.
On the more expensive trailers, there's a locking latch (crossbar type), with holes in the door frame to accommodate the crossbar. I've seen these, and being locked in place, should help with / eliminate the damage to the doors. Still no help for the dirt issue, for those whom that is a concern.

BTW...Even *with* the latch, the crossbar and receiver holes are metal-on-metal, which will eventually mean the coating comes off on both surfaces and starts rusting. Improvement is needed here, IMO.

On the less expensive trailers, there's *no* latch. The steps are (hopefully) installed so that they sit flush against the screen door, with no rear travel to bounce back / forth on the road. The problem is that they don't *stay* this way. Since I have a Cherokee Grey Wolf, these are the ones that I got.

I think the next line / brand up from mine ('regular' Cherokee) gets the latching type, as it turns out.

When I was in 'buyer' mode, these steps really appealed to me - it was a contributing factor to my decision. Being in 'owner' mode, the reality is a bit different.

AFAIK, there's no 'retrofit' kit to add the crossbar / latch system. If you purchase them from Lippert directly, I believe they *only* sell the crossbar / latch models, and they don't sell the latch mechanism as an add-on. Also, I believe the latch mechanism has to be welded on (not sure about this, but if it's a bolt-on, that's *another* shortcoming, as those bolts will inevitably loosen over time.)

If you're considering these, I'd wait for MorRyde v2.0 Or get them from LCI / MorRyde directly, if you think the latching system will be sufficient.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #20
Broken Toe

Every single time someone puts up a post on these stairs, a group of people start harping on the "What do you do if they get wet or dirty? aspect. Simple, You clean them before storage! A simple hosing or even a wipe-down with some 409 and a rag will suffice. I don't see how this is so hard of a concept to grasp.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote