Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Mounting antenna on roof.

I bought a haloview MC7108 for my toy hauler but found the signal lag and freezing up really bad so I ordered the separate antenna with the magnetic base that I tried on the monitor in the truck but still lagged and froze up. I tried it on the top of the trailer in front of the ac about 8' from the rear and it works great. I am looking for suggestions on what adhesive to use to mount either a piece of either stainless steel or another magnet with, I'm thinking, Diecor or Lexal. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Joe
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Will you get a good signal with the antenna on the top of the AC enclosure? If so, you could mount a piece of stainless with screws on the plastic enclosure and avoid messing with the roof all together. Of course, height will be increased but, perhaps, so will the signal to the monitor.

Just spitballing...

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:08 AM   #3

I've seen some Youtube videos of people mounting a slim metal plate to a rubber roof using eternabond tape. once that stuff is down on a cleaned surface, it's there solidly and for a long time unless you forcefully remove it with a heat gun. Believe it was a youtube channel that tests a lot of different systems (cellular boosters, wifi boosters, etc.) and wanted a plate that would support magnetic bases for their antennas just as you do.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I've seen some Youtube videos of people mounting a slim metal plate to a rubber roof using eternabond tape. once that stuff is down on a cleaned surface, it's there solidly and for a long time unless you forcefully remove it with a heat gun. Believe it was a youtube channel that tests a lot of different systems (cellular boosters, wifi boosters, etc.) and wanted a plate that would support magnetic bases for their antennas just as you do.
This may be the route I go. I dont want to mount it to the ac cover as I am a little concerned about the height.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

One problem, I don't think most stainless steel is magnetic
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
One problem, I don't think most stainless steel is magnetic
Quite a bit of stainless steels are magnetic. Just take a magnet with you when "shopping".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #7

I just installed the Haloview, and same "issue". I was thinking of just mounting a small piece of metal, with some screws through the plywood, and then combo of butyl tape and lap sealant.

Think the better idea is eternabond.

Mike
Old 12-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

Go to Goodwill and get a 12" pizza pan. Eternabond it to the roof and be done with it. 12" circle gives a good ground plane for the antenna.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Go to Goodwill and get a 12" pizza pan. Eternabond it to the roof and be done with it. 12" circle gives a good ground plane for the antenna.

X2. Antennas usually need a ground plane and the vertical "stick" to receive optimum signals. When you stick the magnetic base of the antenna to metal, the metal (car/truck) body becomes the ground plane. That's why I was finding it hard to believe that just standing it on the plywood/rubber roof improved your reception. The only reason I could figure is that the antenna then had no obstructions between the rear camera & the monitor in the truck.

So, I'm assuming that if it has a magnetic mount to stick to metal, that metal becomes the ground plane part of the whole setup.

Below copied from wearecb.com (CB World)

What is a Ground Plane?
A ground plane, also called counter poise, is the reflective unit in the system, while the antenna is the reactive unit. Most mobile antenna installations use the metal part of the vehicle such as the chassis and the body for the ground plane. There are systems that don't require ground planes; those use the shield in the coaxial cable as a substitute. Be aware that the hardware for the ground plane and no ground plane systems are not interchangeable.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

I eternabonded a metal baking sheet to my roof for our Wifi Booster

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #11

When I put the antenna in front of the ac to test i just used a 3M removable strip to hold it down so I think a small piece of SS will work. I don't know if it would be a real concern but a large piece would seem like it would draw a lot of heat, maybe paint it white?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
When I put the antenna in front of the ac to test i just used a 3M removable strip to hold it down so I think a small piece of SS will work. I don't know if it would be a real concern but a large piece would seem like it would draw a lot of heat, maybe paint it white?
I painted mine gray, but white would work. Just look up how much of a "ground plane" you will need for the antenna to do its best.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #13

Yes only 308 stainless has any magnet to it and that's not much I have used the tape and works a long time
Mileskeller2512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mount, roo, roof