Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Mouse proofing

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409188971.809478.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	880.9 KB
ID:	61589

As we have owned other rv's in the past one thing I have learned is to get the holes under the rv filled before it gets too close to the cold winter days when rodents are looking to take up residence. I pulled the outside fridge out and removed the shelf it sat on to check the penetrations through the floor for the water lines etc. I was surprised to find chewed wiring already! Anyways after 3 cans of spray foam and a box of steel wool I hope I'm not going to be surprised come spring time to find turds everywhere inside. I must say there were a lot of holes that needed to be filled in the floor and underneath leading into the enclosed belly.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409189421.504916.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	61591
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Yep. So true. that is one of the first things I am gonna do to my unit when I get it. Put the halogen work lights on inside when it is dark out and then crawl underneath to see the holes. Works every time.

Vin

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

Has anyone tried using the electronic or ultrasonic pest repellers? If so, which brand did you use? Did it do the job?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

dj3spots: I've used the ultrasonic pest controllers and they work (for me, anyway). I've not had a problem since I started using them 15-20 yrs. ago. The problem most people have is they buy one or two or a pack, plug them in, and say they don't work. You need to place them in almost (if not) all your outlets as the ultrasound does not go through furniture, walls, etc. I have one in ALL my outlets in my house. I buy them with an additional electric outlet on the side--that way I don't lose an outlet. I also buy the ones with a pulsating sound (not steady, as mice will learn to avoid them). OF COURSE you should begin the process by sealing any places you think mice can get in and do not let food or crumbs around. Personally, I swear by them. Whatever you do, please don't use the sticky traps as they are as cruel as can be--just Google "sticky traps and cruel". As far as poisons, that can kill more than just mice--other animals (cats, dogs, etc.) that may eat the poison or eat something through the "food chain". For my PUP (which I am getting HOPEFULLY soon!) I plan on using cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil (NOT EXTRACT) and these from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021LWPPY/...WAN5BSKY&psc=1
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

dj3spots: I use these and another brand that's not made anymore: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Ul...+pest+repeller
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Thanks brewjaz! I use the peppermint soaked cotton balls in trailer. Was thinking the electric pest repellers would be added deterrent. We live rural. That being said there are always mice and other varmints around. Mice get into the house but don't last long. My 4 legged pest repellers take care of that prob. Also make the mistake of taking an extended trip and boarding the cats. We have a lovely problem with mice when we returned. Next time I'll set up the electric pest repellers, so nice to know they work in the house.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

I had mouse in my MH about a month ago, went in with a gopher smoke bomb setting off the smoke detector and smoked up the place good. Next opened up the area where the nest was being build and cleaned it out. Then put Bounce dryer sheets down in every drawer and cabinet inside and out. Added some traps and waited. So far have not seen any more signs of the little devils. Also went under the rig and sealed up and few opening that I hadn't seen before.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Yeah, heard about the bounce dryer sheets being effective. Glad it works for you. But, I'm allergic to perfume/fragrances.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

It does leave a fragrance in the MH but I've smelled worst things.:-}
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #10

Bounce

We'll use a whole box every winter,We throw them everywhere.Also i put a tub of dehumidifier in the sink to absorb the winter condensation.Works well.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #11

What kind of dehumidifier do you use? I haven't heard of doing that, but sounds practical.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
What kind of dehumidifier do you use? I haven't heard of doing that, but sounds practical.
I think he is using this or something like it as he mentioned "tub"

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...1S4#q=damp+rid
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

It baffles me as to why they cut such a large opening for some of the things that go through the floor of a camper. Some holes on our rig had some kind of gray spray foam that the mice seem to enjoy eating. I removed all of that and replaced it with GreatStuff foam as well as hitting all the places they missed. We go through a box of Bounce in the fall and I run a trap line in the outside compartments and right inside the main door so they're all easy to check. Since fixing the holes around the landing gear I haven't had any.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #14

Damp Rid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
TEN BUCKS AT LOWE'S/Or Wal-Mart.Works well
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #15

After using expanding foam and steel wool to close off all openings that I could find, I set up glue traps all around the trailer. I also use an ultrasonic pest repeller in the basement.

Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #16

Go to the dollar store and buy a box of 100 bounce sheets. Spread them out in the trailer everywhere. This has worked for us for the past 3 years.
Zwicker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #17

Don't know if works for sure but I have heard moth balls under the camper helps them from wanting to be in that area.

I would try it if I was having a problem. I am killing gnats in mine. Seems the heavy duty fly swatter is the best for that still.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #18

Mouse problems

Have another thing to share on mouse control over the winter months while the trailer is in storage. We have used Peppercorns now for over 10 years and haven't had a mouse yet. Lots of trails in the grass after the snow disappears but non inside. We just walk though the trailer and take a bag of the peppercorns and toss them everywhere...in cupboards, under beds, anywhere you can toss them. Apparently they don't like them. Then in the Spring...vacuum them up and you are good to go.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

I did the dryer sheets one year and the mice made a nest out of them. At least I will have soft, nice smelling mice with no static cling.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

We use Freshcab rodent packs, one box of 4 packs does us all year. Available online or at most hardware and farm supply outlets.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof