Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

I checked the volts across the battery this am before disconnecting and it was 12.56. I don't know how to check from the solar panel to the battery. Could you explain how I can do that?

Thank you.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

Because everything is sealed like that it makes it harder to trouble shoot. Is this controllers mounted outside? The the display on the end should be lighting up when hooked up to the battery, you should then be able to push a button to scroll through the different readings. If you can't get at the wire then you can try to push a pin into the wire and take a voltage measurement from the pin. If you do get voltage at the controller then I would say you need a new controller. The controller you have is very low end and I'm not even sure it is a true MPPT controller. If it was mounted outside it may have got water into it and had permanent damage.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #13

Ok. Well I am thinking it is the controller. I am going to try reading the output of the solar panel too ence my dh gets home. Can you point me in the direction of a good MPPT controller ti replace this one?
Thank you for the info and assistance.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

MPPT controller

I have a tracer controller, I have had it for about a year and it works well. You would need the 20 amp model. Morningstar is a high end controller but you will pay a lot more for it. You can look on Amazon or eBay to find them.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #15

Thank you. On the hunt now. Have been trying to find something that fits the budget and will keep us charged up. Thank you for all of your advice and willingness to share.

Will post one we are up and charging again.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #16

Greetings,
I have installed the new controller. Now I have more questions (why I thought I wouldn't was too hopeful). Apparently I need to know what AH my battery is, but there is no indication that I can find on the battery. Nor has searching the web worked. How do I figure this out? Also, how do I know if I have a sealed, gel or flooded. Lastly, is there a programming book for dummies? I dont know what I need to do next so that I know that it is on long enough , etc. Thanks.

Tags
controller, mppt controller, solar panel