Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #21

My sofa was also sagging. After reading this forum I went and looked and saw the brackets that look like they should have a bar in them. Well a piece of 1" square steel tubing fit perfect, wow sofa is so much not comfortable now that it is flat. But wait, the drawer to the storage space still catches the front of the sore cushions. So I added a additional 3/16" piece of steel to the 1" square tube! Works great. Added a coat of black spray paint and it looks factory. I do want to show my wife some of the other mods to the storage, as the factory drawer is such a poor use of space. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464402704.724105.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	109294
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwak View Post
My sofa was also sagging. After reading this forum I went and looked and saw the brackets that look like they should have a bar in them. Well a piece of 1" square steel tubing fit perfect, wow sofa is so much not comfortable now that it is flat. But wait, the drawer to the storage space still catches the front of the sore cushions. So I added a additional 3/16" piece of steel to the 1" square tube! Works great. Added a coat of black spray paint and it looks factory. I do want to show my wife some of the other mods to the storage, as the factory drawer is such a poor use of space. Attachment 109294
that's a good fix and it also proves my dad's old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat"

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #23

I'm going to bump this older post instead of starting a new on. Some nice info in here. And it shows that some people do actually search the forums.

I too want to make use of the area under my couch. I like what ILUVLCY did in post three. My couch & kick plate has three cushions, so cutting the kick plate in the middle would give the look of 4 cushions, with the middle two being smaller, if that makes sense.

I thought I'd start simpler. My kick plate is held in place by two upside down "J" hooks. That is it simply hangs off the upper bar that goes across the couch. There is nothing holding it at the bottom. I figure I can straighten those "J's" into "L's" and add a magnetic catch at the two lower corners (attached to the couch legs). This way the kick panel should just pop off with out having to lift up the couch.

My problem is that I also have the lower bar going across the opening. The top of this bar sits 2" off the floor and with the upper bar narrows the access space. I imagine that this bar was not put there just to support the drawer. Not even sure if that was an option on my 2017 2104S. I'd like to remove that bar, which would involve grinding down two little welds at each end (and probably a love tap or two). Can anyone think of a reason not to do such mod? Other than "don't remove stuff".

The legs are bolted directly to the floor. I would imagine the upper bar provides far more "triangulation" support than this lower bar. The couch appears to be completely independent of the Murphy bed and the side cabinets so mods should not affect bed operation. I can always add a support or two to the floor/side cabinets.

Funny how "keeping it simple" is becoming somewhat complicated.

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, storage