Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #21

i hate seeing bicycles hanging on the back of trailers, well, and vehicles too, mostly moving around, rubbing, scratching everything and on the back of the trailer? where you cant see them fall off? i can hear it now from junior "mom, did we forget to bring my bike?" as he gazes at shredded bungee cords

and 100 kmh dust, rain and road dirt for several hours?

not to mention obscured taillights and license plate(illegal)

our bikes go inside the trailer, pop the wheels off, wrap all the pieces in old sheets. wheels go in the bathtub, frames on the bed laying flat chainside up

did 6000 km last year like that, not a scratch or mark on anything, trailer or bikes
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #22

I've found a bike rack from PPL Motorhomes Houston Tx. It's a 2 section rack, one for the front, and one for the rear tires. It bolts on the rear bumper ( yes I know don't mount bike rack on bumper), but I'm taking my spare tire off the bumper and moving it into the bed of my truck. Doing this will result in about a 40lbs loss of weight on the rear bumper, and with this mount, the mounting point will be near the weld point of the bumper thus less flexing of the bumper, without the spare tire in the center of the bumper. All in all a lot less stress on the bumper.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I've found a bike rack from PPL Motorhomes Houston Tx. It's a 2 section rack, one for the front, and one for the rear tires. It bolts on the rear bumper ( yes I know don't mount bike rack on bumper), but I'm taking my spare tire off the bumper and moving it into the bed of my truck. Doing this will result in about a 40lbs loss of weight on the rear bumper, and with this mount, the mounting point will be near the weld point of the bumper thus less flexing of the bumper, without the spare tire in the center of the bumper. All in all a lot less stress on the bumper.
You also need to keep in mind that a spare is relatively compact compared to a bicycle. It's not just the total weight, but the force placed on the bumper by the leverage of the distance from the bumper to the weight. You know, like holding a gallon of milk close to your body vs. holding it at arms length.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
You also need to keep in mind that a spare is relatively compact compared to a bicycle. It's not just the total weight, but the force placed on the bumper by the leverage of the distance from the bumper to the weight. You know, like holding a gallon of milk close to your body vs. holding it at arms length.
Exactly Right!! different physics going on with bikes, compared to a tire. and remember, your trailer has NO shocks, so the bouncing and flexing caused by the bikes being held out and away, will easily overcome the cheap bumper welds.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #25

When I've used a bike rack on the rear bumper in the past on other trls I was VERY aware of the way bikes bounce around, and a couple of small ratchet straps PROPERLY placed on the bike would stop ALL bouncing, etc of the bikes, and yes I know I have no shocks, but have the torsion axles which (I feel) don't need shocks.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
( yes I know don't mount bike rack on bumper)
Since you have made up your mind to try this method, I wish you the very best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm taking my spare tire off the bumper and moving it into the bed of my truck. Doing this will result in about a 40lbs loss of weight on the rear bumper, and with this mount, the mounting point will be near the weld point of the bumper thus less flexing of the bumper, without the spare tire in the center of the bumper. All in all a lot less stress on the bumper.
That sounds like a great idea!

I think I can remove the tire and put it in the truck cargo area, modify the tire rack to hold a bike and end up with no additional weight on the bumper with the bike braced so it doesn't move around. I only want to transport one bike and putting it in the TT or TV is a PITA!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #28

How is the bike rack mounted on the front of the trailer?
rvenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvenneman View Post
How is the bike rack mounted on the front of the trailer?
Here is my solution to a front bike rack, the brackets are home made.

Tags
led pad